International Travel Tips?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mistletoe
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut
  • 1 Post By MammaWannaBe
  • 1 Post By A.Sue8
  • 1 Post By LadieBug
  • 1 Post By chickadee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2012, 01:45 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies:

So I am flying up north (still in the states) in a few weeks and then flying to the Caribbean for work (sometimes my job is super awesome). I'm excited, but am a little nervous about all that travel.

Does anyone have any travel tips for flying? Travel in general? Dos and don'ts? Note: I will be in a resort so it should be fairly safe/clean in terms of food and water.

Any tips would be awesome!

September 28th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Make sure you get up and walk to the bathroom a few times in the plane, to prevent blood clots.

September 29th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Drink lots of water, I also wear grandma compression socks to keep blood flow going in my legs and the swelling down, they aren't sexy but they help. I never have a problem with swollen feet and legs, but when I fly I can hardly get my shoes back on after a 9 hour flight. I also bring a butt cushion it hels keep hip pain away.
September 29th, 2012, 06:29 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For water, *they* are supposed to allow you to bring into the airport a non-disposable empty water bottle. I always have the top off of mine and in an outside pocket to emphasize the fact that it's empty. This way you can fill it before you get on board and, depending on how nice the stewards are, on the plane as well. I find that the tiny bottle and tiny cups of water just don't cut the dehydration that dry, dry environment.

Also, while you're in your seat you can do some exercises to improve circulation. I think airlines even have little cards (or it's in the magazines) that have versions of these:
Leg Exercises For While You Are In-flight | LIVESTRONG.COM
And hey, while you're seated with nothing else to do, be sure to throw in some kegels!
MammaWannaBe likes this.
September 29th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Sue8 View Post
Drink lots of water, I also wear grandma compression socks to keep blood flow going in my legs and the swelling down, they aren't sexy but they help. I never have a problem with swollen feet and legs, but when I fly I can hardly get my shoes back on after a 9 hour flight. I also bring a butt cushion it hels keep hip pain away.
Interesting, I didn't think about compression socks. I'll have to look into it. Do you know where you got yours? Or wait...did you get yours in Germany?

September 29th, 2012, 08:48 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I got my compression socks at Target...they are Peds brand, and look like mens knee high dress socks. I wear (wore) them mostly for long motorcycle rides for the same reason, and they are super!
MammaWannaBe likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
September 29th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any real great advice..just jealous of your trip..

September 29th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey_619 View Post
I don't have any real great advice..just jealous of your trip..
Lol it's like the one glamorous moment of my job. Trust me I will be hauling butt to get everything done down there but a lot of it is pictures, videos, and interviewing which to me is less of a job and more of what I love so I'm happy about that. The pre and post planning and editing, not so excited about
Lacey_619 likes this.

September 30th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post
Interesting, I didn't think about compression socks. I'll have to look into it. Do you know where you got yours? Or wait...did you get yours in Germany?
I bought mine from a medical supply store/pharmacy, I'm pretty sure they have them at any grocery store pharmacy, CVS or Walgreens. I know Dr. Scholl's has a pretty good selection of socks and stocking.
MammaWannaBe likes this.
September 30th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Host of March '10 PR
I flew to and from FL a few weeks ago, it was under a 3 hr flight. Honestly I was pretty comfortable, the biggest thing was trying not to drink too much beforehand. At home I have to pee like every half hour and I didn't want to have to do that in the gross plane bathroom. I got up once to use it and it was seriously smaller than a phone booth- not very preggo friendly!!! I drank the beverages provided on the plane, however I was sooooo thirsty and it took them forever to get to me.
My feet did swell- I wore flip flops for this reason because I knew my sneakers would get tight.
They were also extra nice to me in security bc they saw I was pregnant. I was also holding DD which I'm sure helped. I made sure to ask before going through the metal detectors, whether or not they were safe for expectant mothers. They did tell me I could decline to go through and be patted down instead. I went through one of the regular metal detectors.
Enjoy your trip, hope you get to relax a little
MammaWannaBe likes this.
September 30th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lurking from the Feb DDC, and this caught my attention because I just returned from a trip to Europe. I'd do some things differently if I were making a long international trip again while pregnant.

Like mistletoe suggested, bring a large (24+ oz if possible) empty water bottle through security (I have had no problem bringing disposable ones through security, as long as they are empty), and then fill it at a drinking fountain in the terminal (near your gate so that you don't have to carry it for long! See below).

If you don't already have an aisle seat on your longest flight, see if you can switch to one at the time you check in or at the gate. It helps for frequent trips to the restroom.

I normally pack quite a lot in my carry-on, and have always been fine carrying a heavy bag even on long trips. But, travel while pregnant is different for me, I found. I had a lot of back pain during my recent trip after lugging a (lighter than normal) backpack plus purse through four airports on the way to my destination. To avoid the same (especially if you have any layovers and may have to walk from one terminal to another) I would advise you to either a) keep your carry-on items as light as possible, or b) invest in a rolling carry-on bag. If you can avoid carrying a full size laptop with you, do. Bring just what you need for the flight plus whatever you can't live without if your luggage is lost (medication, phone charger, an extra pair of underwear).

Have a great trip!
MammaWannaBe likes this.

September 30th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the tips, they are great! I'm definitely going to get some compression socks, have plenty of water, and make sure I am moving around as I can and going to the bathroom plenty (although I can't imagine how I am going to squeeze into those bathrooms at like 29 weeks pregnant lol).

Whats challenging is that I have to pack for two seasons at the same time, which will make for heavy bags. I think I will have to check one and then bring a backpack and a purse or something for the plane to redistribute the weight and not kill off my back. Ahh I hope I am still super mobile!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search