Home remedies for premature contractions

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mojomama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Veteran
My OB doesn't see the need to prescribe any medications for me because it is not progressing into labor, even if they are very painful and make functioning difficult. I forgot to post about it due to my DH coming down with food poisoning and a stomach bug, but I ended up back in the L&D on Tuesday night and had to stay til 3:30ish am waiting for a swab test to determine whether I was in labor or not. It was called a fetal fibronectin test, I think. It came back negative, so they sent me home.

After the rest of my week was spent resting and drinking fluids as recommended, my younger DD was playing on the couch last night and elbowed me in the upper belly a couple of times, and the contracting started back up again. I am not bleeding or spotting, and feel them most when I have to move around, so I don't think it warrants a trip in right now.

We also have a birthday party to celebrate all the September birthdays in our family (6 not counting extended family), so I will get to have cake and yummy food later on, so I don't want to miss it by being in L&D to be told after hours of waiting for answers that I should just go home and rest.

I was wondering if anyone has had any advice or tips to share, I am really frustrated with being in pain so much again, after recovering this past week. My mom told me her midwife told her to drink a small amount of wine at night before bed to stave off early labor, my mom was in a car wreck half way through her pregnancy with my youngest brother and had lots of medical problems.

I tried to ask her about the wine for myself, but she didn't want to give me any medical advice and told me to call my Dr. instead. Even though this OB refused to prescribe any medications, even nausea meds earlier on during my 1st trimester. I feel stuck, and I wish there was something I could take to make me more comfortable, and not need to spend all my time at the hospital in limbo....
September 29th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I started getting painful contractions my midwife gave me gravol and lots of fluids.

Now, gravol is a muscle relaxent also.

I am not recommanding it, per se, I'm just telling you what they gave me when this happened to me.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
September 29th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar08 View Post
When I started getting painful contractions my midwife gave me gravol and lots of fluids.

Now, gravol is a muscle relaxent also.

I am not recommanding it, per se, I'm just telling you what they gave me when this happened to me.

I will look into whether I can try something like that. Thank you, I am just feeling stuck because he has refused to prescribe any medications in the past for anything. So trying to ask for something to help ease the discomfort of these contractions is difficult, since he already told me all I should really need is to relax, and not allow my mind to make more out of them then they really are. That's why I was wondering if a small amount of wine would work, due to his reluctance to give me anything.

But I will definitely talk to him again, and see if there is anything I can do about them besides trying to will them away with my mind.
September 30th, 2012, 12:28 AM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOTS and LOTS of fluids. Preferably water. Rest as much as much as possible and when you do have to move around make the movments slow.

I know, easier said than done but it really does help. I've been dealing with them for a few weeks now and that's about my only option for now unless the midwife/dr feels the need to start giving me progesterone shots once a week to stave off premature labor.

September 30th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Veteran
Thank you MommaTooters, I am trying to do just that, it is just hard when my toddler thinks me laying down is a sign to tackle and wrestle me. LOL, she is a handful sometimes. I have been sleeping more lately, which helps some, and I am drinking about 4 liters of water a day, I have two huge water bottles 1.5 liters a piece, and a giant 1 liter thermos mug that I keep filled with ice water. I have also cut out all caffeine, I noticed that when I was in school and drinking soda I had more contractions, so no more for me.

Thank you both for responding, I am glad I could ask for advice. This forum is awesome
September 30th, 2012, 10:16 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
I've had preterm labor with all my kids. Rest and lots of water, obviously. warm epsom salt baths helped- epsom salts are magnesium sulfate, which they gave me an iv drip of with my first bout of preterm labor. the bath get enough in your system to relax, without the nasty side effects of taking it internally. lavender essential oils also helps. a daily liquid (not tablet) calcium/magnesium supplement also helped, and could be taken as often as ever half hour if the contractions got bad. and yep, a glass of wine or a beer will work wonders. I never needed more than one, and never mire than a couple of times a week. And it seems to me that I read somewhere that a red wine is the best...but I don't remember why, or where I read it.
if you're having contractions of a regular basis, maybe you need to add a good book to this list and take everything into the bath with you once a week. you know, be proactive ;-) I got four babies to term doing this, when I was told with my first baby that I would probably never get even one all the way there. ha!
Lucky Mama likes this.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (12), Selene (8), Garvin (6), Gwen (3), Thomas (21m), and a bonus surprise, due 29 June 2015

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search