Drop Side Cribs?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By swaddlestar
  • 3 Post By Angel.Eyes4351

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2012, 12:52 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Are you purchasing your crib brand new?

Are you using your crib you had when you had your other children?

What type of crib do you have? A drop side or fixed?

We have a drop side that is half put together right now....my hubby is planning on finsihing it later on today.......it was my son's crib that we purchased brand new in 2005.....it's in perfect condition......
However, I was just reading online that these cribs really aren't recommended anymore.....now I would hate to go out a buy a new crib when we have one here but I have to admit I am a little nervous....

What are you ladies doing and what is your outlook on cribs?

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
September 30th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm using the one we've had for all this kids. It has a drop side, but we've never used it. Never had problems with it either.

September 30th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a drop side but won't use it until he's bigger, and when we do we'll do the L brackets like someone on here posted awhile back, so that the side becomes fixed.

I think it's the super tiniest chance that anything would happen but it might keep me up at night worrying, lol, so for that reason I'll secure it.

September 30th, 2012, 05:34 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Well, the crib is up (except the wheels)......and looks great! We never had any probs with it when my son used it so we don't anticipate any probs again. We never used the drop sides before cause it was a pain so won't use them again......do you remember the tip you saw on here about securing it to a fixed? I must have missed it.....

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
September 30th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have no crib, so we will have to buy it new. They only sell non drop side cribs.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
September 30th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ours is the same that we used with my daughter, and it has fixed sides. I probably wouldn't stress too much if I had a drop side crib, though.

September 30th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We will be using the same crib we had with both our dd's. It has one side that drops, which we have never used nor had any issues with.

September 30th, 2012, 08:06 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
I've bragged about my crib here before. We have one of those Baby's Dream Crib 4 Life cribs with the drop hinge gate. It's wonderful...the side doesn't drop but there is a small hinged gate that folds down to give you access to baby. The hinge is beveled so no pinched fingers, plus the latches are an adult arm span wide so no kid can unlatch it- and the latch is absolutely silent. Its lowest setting is 5 inches deeper than a normal crib so DD stayed in it longer and we didn't have to worry about her climbing out. Plus it's sturdy as hell. In the showroom the salesman had DH sit on the drop gate and then sat on it with him- DH is 225lbs + so I was pretty impressed with it! I can't wait to build it again!

Here it was when we first built it with the gate up and the second pic has the gate down.

Lucky Mama likes this.

September 30th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a dropside crib that I used L-brackets to secure, just for peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybeth76 View Post
We have a drop side but won't use it until he's bigger, and when we do we'll do the L brackets like someone on here posted awhile back, so that the side becomes fixed.

I think it's the super tiniest chance that anything would happen but it might keep me up at night worrying, lol, so for that reason I'll secure it.
That was me!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
October 1st, 2012, 12:16 AM
Mommy
We don't have one yet so we have to buy one.
October 1st, 2012, 03:15 AM
Host of March '10 PR
DD's crib has fixed sides, we bought it right around the time that drop side cribs were being ... What's the right word, outlawed? Lol that sounds so harsh. Done away with? Anyways... As long as you use the brackets to secure the sides I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Honestly a drop side crib sounds pretty good right about now. Changing a crib sheet while pregnant is a difficult task!
Our plan was to get a new crib for this baby. DD loves her crib and we weren't going to move her out of it yet. We'll probably convert it to a toddler bed before baby gets here, so now I'm considering getting her a regular big girl bed and re-using her crib for baby. Decisions, decisions.
October 1st, 2012, 05:57 AM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadieBug View Post
DD's crib has fixed sides, we bought it right around the time that drop side cribs were being ... What's the right word, outlawed? Lol that sounds so harsh. Done away with? Anyways... As long as you use the brackets to secure the sides I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Honestly a drop side crib sounds pretty good right about now. Changing a crib sheet while pregnant is a difficult task!
Our plan was to get a new crib for this baby. DD loves her crib and we weren't going to move her out of it yet. We'll probably convert it to a toddler bed before baby gets here, so now I'm considering getting her a regular big girl bed and re-using her crib for baby. Decisions, decisions.
I hear you. My Ds is still in our crib right now. When he falls asleep and I have to put him in it I have the hardest time with my belly and boobs being in the way. I often hurt myself.

October 1st, 2012, 06:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Mama View Post
That was me!
I knew it was one of you mamas whose nickname on here started with an "L"!

October 1st, 2012, 07:46 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have and will use a drop side crib again. It doesn't bother me. My kids sleep in a cosleeper for the first 5mo or so, and then when they are in their crib it's only for sleeping. I get them before they're even really fully awake. They don't hang out or play in there. Plus I'm only 5'2", I have a hard enough time reaching over with it dropped.

I think a lot of the safety precautions are overboard and are put into place because some parent didn't use common sense in a situation. My babies have bumpers and blankets in their cribs... My almost 2yr old sleeps with a pillow, two blankets, big stuffed bear, and a boppy in his toddler bed. I'm sure some safety organization would think that's totally unsafe, but it doesn't bother me. I think you have to know your baby, use common sense, and use your intuition about what feels right for you.
1stbaby, d_tops and zaney like this.

and introducing Julia Pearl
October 1st, 2012, 09:06 AM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm right there with Bri. We've had the same crib since 2005. Never had an issue with the drop side. Most manufactures will send you a kit to fix the sides, we have one for ours, I just never put it on!!

October 1st, 2012, 09:10 AM
Expecting #1 & 2
I just wanted to throw this out there for some of the petite momma's. I bought "low profile" cribs for both of my twins. They have fixed sides are specifically designed for petite mothers. When I looked at regular sized cribs in the store, my boobs were jammed in to the side when I bent over to try to pick up a baby. This was with the mattress all the way to the top.

Plus these beds convert to toddler beds, so it was a win.

My twin girls are prayer buddies for Sarah Faith and Leah Hope.
Please keep them in your prayers.

October 1st, 2012, 09:12 AM
PickyNicki's Avatar Super Mommy
I will continue to use our drop-side, also. My 8 year old has a hard time figuring out how the sides drop, so I don't think the baby will be able to do it. Also, I feel like it is pretty secure. Never had a problem.

I also have used bumpers and blankets with my babies... Guess I'm a "bad" mommy!
Reed Allen (5)
Ellie Nichole (2)
Clairre Julianne 1/14/13

October 1st, 2012, 11:16 AM
We will use the drop side crib that we used with my son. My child will be in a bassinet until 10 weeks plus, so I have no concerns.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search