Who is getting the flu shot? What did your doctor say about it?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2012, 07:48 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistletoe View Post
I've never had one, but after it was highly recommended by the MW I first met with at the practice I read into it. It made sense to me for all the reasons listed above.^^ So I will be getting it.

TDAP I will also be getting, but I've been leaning towards immediately after delivery. I'll also ask the doc about this tomorrow (he's a young guy, new to the practice who I haven't met before). DH is already TDAP vaccinated. Kind of wish one of my docs last year had thought of this before I actually *got* pregnant. We live in a high-incidence area. And having had whooping cough once when I was 20, I would do anything I could to possibly prevent my infant from catching it.
Good thinking. I think it's better to be safe than sorry especially since there have been instances of whooping cough in the country this year. My DH is going to get his and also my mom since she will be with us a lot when the baby is born. From what I've read I think the 2nd and 3rd trimester is usually when they recommend you get the TDAP shot. It probably varies from practice to practice, but I had mine at 24 weeks.

I can't believe you had whooping cough! What was that like?

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
October 3rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I'll get one because I work with college interns all day and they seem to think it's no big deal to come in to work while they are sick as dogs. I've also armed myself with Lysol and I've been spraying the workstations they use, but I want to do it more regularly. I almost want to wear a freaking mask too...

October 3rd, 2012, 08:08 AM
PickyNicki's Avatar Super Mommy
Shoot, that's what I was going to ask about yesterday at my appt! I fully plan to get it. I'm a teacher and am exposed to all the little people's germs all the time. I got a terrible flu with a high fever when I was pregnant with my son, and I am still not convinced that that is not what caused his rare eye condition. You just never know...
Reed Allen (5)
Ellie Nichole (2)
Clairre Julianne 1/14/13

October 3rd, 2012, 08:32 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post

I can't believe you had whooping cough! What was that like?
It was awful. I would wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air -- thus the "whooping" part. And it took FOREVER to go away. I remember one person chastising me for "being a smoker" because of my cough. I ended up tearing the intercostal muscle (between the ribs) because the coughs were so violent. And that was in a healthy, sturdy young adult. Like I said, I can't imagine how hard it would be on a tiny infant body.
October 3rd, 2012, 09:04 AM
WENDYLL22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I asked at my last dr. appointment and my OB recommended it but said it was completely up to me. I haven't had an issue with the flu, but I don't want to take any chances with Madison bringing home bugs from daycare and having a winter baby. I am very conscious of sanitizing the house and keeping everyone's hands washed but I am still weary. I will get it at my next appointment.

October 3rd, 2012, 09:32 AM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get the flu shot every year and so does my family. I had the real flu I mean not just the pukes but stiff body, I passed out twice, vomited for a week and ended up in the hospital. It was horrible. I never want to go through that again..yuck I thought I had better add that the flu wasn't from the shot it was from not getting the flu shot and contracting it from someone. I haven't had any side effects from the shot other than a sore arm for a couple of days.

Last edited by Lacey_619; October 3rd, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
October 3rd, 2012, 09:46 AM
Lil_Mama2B's Avatar Veteran
I decided not to get the flu shot. But I am getting the pertussis right after I deliver

October 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
every time i get one (3 times in my life) i ALWAYS get sick after for a week, achy, sore throat...everything. doctors always say "its not from the shot" but seriously.... 3 times...that is enough for me to want to stay away from it...but i never got it when i was prego. i opted out when i was prego with x, but of course i will talk about it next wednesday w/my doctor. i know they are going to "highly recommend it" because that is what they do w/vaccines, but im still thinking about it.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

October 3rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I only get it when pregnant and will this time as well, especially having a January baby. I had the swine flu and regular flu shots last time with no ill effect.

October 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
LovelyMama's Avatar Veteran
Location: Military Wife ~ living everywhere my hubby is needed :-)
Thanks for everyone's opinions!! I've decided that I am going to get the flu shot but will wait until my cold is gone.
Lacey_619 likes this.
October 3rd, 2012, 07:23 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyMama View Post
Thanks for everyone's opinions!! I've decided that I am going to get the flu shot but will wait until my cold is gone.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
October 5th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Dee
After some deliberation, I ended up getting my flu shot today. I think if it were just me and being pregnant, I may not have done it. But since my FIL lives with us and is in declining health, it seemed like two good reasons to consider it. DH decided to get a flu shot for the first time this year for the same reason.

In the hospital where I plan to deliver they offer a pertussis booster after delivery, so rather than get one in the third trimester I will wait until we have the baby. DH will get his pertussis booster sometime before we have the baby. If he were healthy, I'd ask FIL to get it, but it just doesn't feel right to bother him with the request.

We decided not to ask family members who come through and stay out our house quite a bit to get the pertussis vaccine/booster. I will, however, ask about vaccination policies at day cares when we get to that point. I guess the focus will be on primary caregivers rather than visitors.

Thanks for this discussion. It was very helpful to me as we thought about this decision.
October 5th, 2012, 10:16 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Updated to my response. I ended up getting the TDaP today along with my flu vaccine. My new (better) doc explained -- and it made sense to me -- that he recommends it in the late second/third trimester because looking at studies of post-delivery vaccinations, by the time the immunity built up the mothers (and thus infants) were already put at risk. But I also live in a high-incidence of pertussis area.
October 5th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Veteran
I got my flu shot today, I have gotten pneumonia about 3 times in the past, and I would rather not get flu related pneumonia again. One of the times was so bad that I got a secondary infection that made me so sick I was nearly unconscious when my DH brought me in to the ER.

I am certain I am up to date on all my shots, but I will talk to my OB about the DTAP shot at my next visit, my youngest siblings weren't ever vaccinated, and my little brother got Pertussis as a baby, and nearly died. My family is anti-vaccines, so I want to create as much "herd immunity" at our house as I can to protect the new baby on the way.

I had to do a research paper in college about vaccines, and found an entire site dedicated to people who were injured or killed by vaccine preventable diseases like Pertussis, H1N1, Measles, and even Rotovirus. The stories were heartbreaking, and I couldn't imagine losing a child or family member to an illness we can prevent. Learning those things settled it in my mind to protect my family with vaccinations, to avoid future heartache.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search