Breastfeeding Question...

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By MammaWannaBe
  • 3 Post By marybeth76
  • 1 Post By nursingmama
  • 1 Post By mojomama
  • 1 Post By LadieBug
  • 1 Post By MammaWannaBe
  • 2 Post By MommaTooters
  • 1 Post By Lacey_619

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok this may be a dumb question...but as a FTM I guess no question is dumb lol. AND I know I can google or look it up some other way but I thought it would be interesting to see what the BTDT Moms had to say..

So when doing some research it says that we usually don't get our "first" milk until about 3-5 days AFTER the baby is born?? Right?

So my question is how is the baby being fed up until we get that first milk? I think I read somewhere that there was "stuff" that comes out that feeds the baby that isn't necessarily milk, but will that be enough for the baby for the first few days? Im confused...

What have the BTDT Moms done/experienced?

October 3rd, 2012, 11:24 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good question! I have no idea what the answer is, but I would love to hear some BTDT moms talk about the subject. Breastfeeding is still such a mystery to me!
Hoping4bby likes this.

October 3rd, 2012, 11:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It takes a few days for your milk to come in usually, but in the meantime you will have colostrum. Here is a great explanation of colostrum:

LLLI | What is colostrum?

Newborn babies don't need much in their tummies at ALL, and I think this is a big pitfall area for lots of new mamas. Because doctors and others in authority will tell you that your baby is hungry and you need to supplement etc., until your milk comes in and that is just not true at all. In fact, doing just that will be very counter-productive to your milk actually coming in and will decrease the amount of milk that you produce.

I think my milk came in in a day or two with my daughter, but I had her on the boob constantly and that made a HUGE difference for us.

ETA: I was reading the article I posted and saw that a newborn baby's tummy is the size of a marble!! So they really don't need much.

Last edited by marybeth76; October 3rd, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
October 3rd, 2012, 11:29 AM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
during the first few days you produce colostrum which has all moms antibodies and such. Baby doesnt need very much right after he/she is born because their tummies are so tiny and the colostrum produced is enough to satisfy until your milk comes in. My milk took over a week because of some post delivery issues i had but even then I didnt need to supplement with formula.
Hoping4bby likes this.

October 3rd, 2012, 12:49 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto what the last two have said. I think my milk came in fully on day 3. Sean was a little jaundiced, so they kept pushing for me to supplement, but I didn't. His levels werent' that high, and they were coming down slowly but surely doing exactly what I was doing. I actually think that's what gets a lot of new moms and hurts the bf relationship.

October 3rd, 2012, 01:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes and jaundice is such a common thing! Just about every single newborn I've ever known has been at least a little jaundiced. This is another one of those things that you MUST arm yourself with knowledge about so that you don't get pushed around at the hospital and by the pediatrician.

October 3rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
Colostrum is almost magical in it's immunity properties. it's even used in cancer treatments- seriously! it's sticky and yellow and comes out in such tiny amounts that it's easy to think your baby is starving, but the marble-sized belly your baby possesses holds only five milliliters, or a single teaspoon.
my milk didn't come in until late on the fifth day with my first, and it was very dramatic. it has been earlier with my other three (about three days), and a little more gradual. as in, the colostrum /milk looked swirled or marbled for a few feedings before it looked like straight milk with my last three, but it went from colostrum to milk in a matter if two hours with my first.

eta: ditto on jaundice being very common. it's actually physiologically normal and *supposed* to happen...but because there is a second variety related to blood type incompatibility, even normal jaundice is seen as something scary.
MommaTooters likes this.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13

Last edited by mojomama; October 3rd, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
October 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
Host of March '10 PR
My daughter was born on a Monday night and my milk didn't come in until Friday morning. It was super frustrating and not something I knew was going to happen. I thought your milk was automatically there. The pediatrician told me I *could* supplement if I wanted to but never told me I had to. In our first few late nights at home, I supplemented a little bit using a tube on the tip of my finger- a technique the pediatriciAn showed me so it wouldn't cause nipple confusion. When my milk came in, she took to eating pretty well and I did lots of pumping too.
My advice to FTM's would be to mentally prepare yourself and inform yourself about how long it may take for your milk to come in, and what approach you might want to take while waiting for it to come in. Ask your pediatrician, as well as btdt mommies, and come to the solution that will work best for you and your baby.
Hoping4bby likes this.
October 3rd, 2012, 02:06 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow this is great advice, I just can't imagine how stressful it is those first few days waiting for the milk to come in and having nurses and dr's pressure you to bottlefeed or whatever. I really don't want to mess up the breastfeeding process, so I realize I have to do some thinking about how I am going to potentially deal with this.

Didn't someone mention a supplement or something they took to help their milk come in? I forget what it was called
Hoping4bby likes this.

October 3rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's really not as stressful as it sounds. The colostrum (or first milk) is most times plenty for a newborn. No need to take anything to boost your supply right at the beginning. If at some point you feel you are not producing much then talk to a lactation consultant. Breast feeding is all about supply and demand. The more you nurse your baby and empty the breast the more milk your body will produce. The key is to let the baby nurse as long and as frequently as they want for the first few weeks/months.

A lactation consultant will help tremendously. One cannot always rely on the L&D nurses to know all about breast feeding. Some are very knowledgable but in my experience most are not. Another great resource is www.kellymom.com. That website is full of anything and everything you'd ever need/want to know about nursing!!

Don't stress!
MammaWannaBe and Hoping4bby like this.

October 3rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Veteran
Lactation tea is really supposed to help, though I'm not sure if it will help the milk come in earlier or if it just helps the supply.
October 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
WENDYLL22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
great advice!

October 3rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A friend told me that lactation tea had her milk in before she left the hospital!

I had the typical day 3 engorgement/milk coming in experience. It's funny to watch the meconium start to go to yellow, seedy breastfed baby poop.

October 3rd, 2012, 02:58 PM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine came in pretty quick last time with some advice the nurse gave me. Kendal was a little early 36 weeks and she had some trouble keeping her temp up so we did a lot of skin to skin warming with her and my milk came in before I left the hospital. The nurse told me that would probably happen that the close contact helps the milk come faster. I was a little skeptical but it worked. With my first it didn't come in till day 3 or 4.
MammaWannaBe likes this.

October 3rd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Veteran
Here's a link to the etsy shop of a local gal who will make your own special blend of lactation tea if you ask for it. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of teas, and so I'm excited to have one that I will like the taste of and will help with the milk!
Organic Loose Leaf Tea for the People by DragonLadyTeas on Etsy
Also her Belly Rub tea is great!
October 3rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is awesome! Thanks everyone for your input. That really expalins a lot I asked my Mom last night and she said "it just comes and before it comes you and your baby will have time to bond" !!! ???? I was like what?! that's not a good enough explanation for me...I will ask the justmommies board Thanks again ladies!

October 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
This is a fab thread. I've heard of colostrum, and have a little info from my SIL, but this was VERY helpful. Thanks to everyone helping out us FTMs!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
October 3rd, 2012, 08:58 PM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The colustrum is VERY important to babies! It's full of yummy goodness that help them get off to a good start. Every NICU pretty much begs all new mommies who do not plan to breastfeed to at least pump for the first few days/weeks. (they will be stuck in the NICU anways so might as well make good use of their resourses!) It's liquid gold!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search