Just a random thought

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
I think epidurals slow down labor. Maybe not everyone, but I was just thinking of my experience.

I woke up on the morning of induction at 3am to go pee. When I got up I had what I thought might of been contractions. I laid back down and was going to try and sleep for about 30 more min before I got up to get ready and go in to the hospital at 5am for induction. When I laid down the pain got worse so I just got up. I then started having consistent contractions. We got to the hospital at 5am and after filling out paper work and getting the IV started (since they thought I was getting induced) she checked me at 6am and I was 6cm. I got the epidural at 7am and didn't get to 10cm until 1pm. That seems like an awful long time to go from 6cm-10cm. I really think had I not gotten an epidural I would've had him at 9 or 10am.

What are your thoughts on it?
October 3rd, 2012, 08:07 PM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i think so too....i had a really bad negative birthing experience with Xavier which I hate to bring up because it might not of been me being induced and getting an epi, but i do blame that....and I don't wanna scare first time moms into not getting one/getting one because it is everyones choice...but in my gut...all this medication they hand out is more to lean females to go towards c-sections instead of natural.... but again, im not a doctor...i just feel it is un-needed (but i did love not feeling things with the epi)
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

October 3rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
Yeah I loved not feeling me tear lol. But I hated the epi sooo soo much because I was soo numb that I couldn't feel if I was pushing or not! I had to push for an hour, which might be normal I'm not sure, but I feel like had I been able to feel what I was doing it wouldn't of taken that long. Plus I couldn't walk until the next morning because I was still so numb.

I"m not scared of feeling the contractions or the baby coming out. I'm just scared of feeling myself tear. It gives me goose bumps lol
October 3rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I have heard the same thing about epis slowing down labor. I am still planning to get one...I am mortified of feeling the baby come out and any potential tears....the idea of contractions don't bother me, just the other stuff. I will ask my peri at one of my upcoming apps for sure, though.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
October 3rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
Host of March '10 PR
I'm not really sure, I was pretty far into labor when I finally caved and got the epi. I lost all track of time but I know it was dark out when I got my epi, so I must have gotten it maybe 4-5 hrs before I actually gave birth.
One thing I do remember the Dr saying was that when they estimate how long it will take you to fully dialate, they plan for at least 1 hr per centimeter. (I might be wrong, it might have been 2 hrs?)

ETA: The thing that I did notice slowing me down was the effectiveness of my pushing. With the epi, I really couldnt "feel" what I was doing. They'd tell me to push this way, or dont push that way... but honestly I really couldnt tell what I was doing since I was numb down there. Which in turn probably didnt help my tearing issue.

Last edited by LadieBug; October 3rd, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
October 3rd, 2012, 08:50 PM
With ^^you mentioning that you got yours pretty far in labor made me remember that I've heard women or heard of women saying that their labor wasn't progressing fast until they got the epi and then they dialted fast because they could relax. So I guess it really just depends on the person.
October 3rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, they can and do slow down labor!

October 3rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ive heard varying stories. I think it all depends on the woman and that specific labor. Ive never had one but I wouldnt not get one because it slowed some women's labor down because I know some people who progressed faster with the epi. Each person needs to weigh their personal pros and cons before deciding

October 4th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think in many cases it can slow down labor, and in a few cases it might speed it up, and in a few it may do nothing time-wise.

As long as I don't have to have interventions I feel pretty good about going without an epi again. Really the only time I felt like I couldn't do it anymore was what I now know was transition, and once you get there you're almost done. The stretching/tearing part is SO fast (I did not feel anything but a mild stretching sensation), plus at least in my experience, my body had taken over at that point and was pushing all on its own and it felt pretty amazing actually. Then after it was over I felt SOOO incredible, as opposed to feeling like roadkill after my son was born.

I'm praying really hard for a similar birth to my daughter's, without all the drama that the nurses and midwife created, though.

October 4th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Pregnant with #2
I started my induction at 11:30pm (I was induced with Cytotec so its a different experience than Pitocin) and then given some medicine to help me get some rest, I slept/rested until around 3:30/4am....got my epidural around 8am and my son was born at 11:40am. I had issues with dilating due to scar tissue so I had tons of very painful contractions most of the night with no dilation. Once my scar tissue separated I started dilating very quicklly.

October 4th, 2012, 06:56 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
It is proven science that epidurals slow down labor. Because you are on your back, you have a bigger chance of fetal distress. Because you can't feel the contractions, less chance you can listen to your natural instincts. Also, C-Section rates are higher in women who have had epidurals.
October 4th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That reminded me, when I was giving birth to my son (I had an epi with him but not with my daughter) - I remember the nurse had to literally stick her hand up inside me so she could feel when a contraction was coming on and she would then tell me to push. I couldn't feel when to push at all, even though I could feel some pressure etc. With my daughter, without the epi, pushing was an amazing experience. My body just knew what to do.

The difference? I pushed for almost 4 hours with my son and was literally one vacuum-assisted push away from a c/s. With my daughter I pushed twice and she was out. Being able to feel what is going on and not hobbling my body from doing what it needed to do was HUGE.

October 4th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Pregnant with #2
^Were you on monitors? My doctor/nurse were watching my contractions on the monitors and would tell me when I had a good one to push for? I only pushed for a little over an hour. I could not feel the pain of the contraction but I could feel the tightness and I knew when they were going to say push lol.

October 4th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was on monitors, I'm not sure why they had to do it that way. I know they tried just relying on the monitors and it wasn't working well. I was also exhausted after a 4 day induction, etc. I could feel pain and pressure, but it didn't seem to be related to contractions.

I think that one issue is that my body was NOT ready to be induced, and they didn't do anything to ripen my cervix or anything. It was a super hard induction and I was wiped out by the time it was time to push.

October 4th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Pregnant with #2
Oh my goodness....4 days I cant even imagine!

October 4th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My epi with DD 1 all but stopped my labor and then they gave me pitocin to get it going again.

I waited until I was further along in labor to get it with my 2nd and didn't have as many issues.

October 4th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know for sure it spaced my ctx out and lessened the intensity of contx too which made for a longer labor.

The speeding up that epis can do has to do with sphincter law, I would say.

and introducing Julia Pearl
October 4th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiesquared View Post
Oh my goodness....4 days I cant even imagine!
It was terrible!! But I really think they just handled it all wrong. Like, my cervix was not ready at ALL, but they didn't do anything to ripen it, just started me on pitocin which gave me terribly painful contractions but was not dilating me at all. After a couple of days they were finally able to break my water and that threw me into harder labor and I finally progressed, but it was still slow and ridiculous. I think if I had waited until my cervix was more favorable or if they had given me something to ripen it, it might have been a different story.

October 4th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think like some of the others said it varies on the person. I had an epidural with all three of mine and my longest labor was 5 hrs and my epidural was numbing but I could still feel pressure. I only had to push through a couple contractions. I also had my epidurals early in dilation also. I was like 3-4 with all of them. Just my experience. I think my body works better when it was relaxed I always fought against my contractions because of the pain.

October 4th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Expecting #1
I have heard that about epis. I recently heard that you can request a half dose. Is that something that exists? From what the person said, it numbs the pain, but you still can feel what you are doing.

If this is even an option, how would a half dose affect how quickly you dilate.

I plan to labor naturally and not get an epi (well at least as long as I can), but I am not opposed to getting an epi if the pain gets to be too much. Having a half-dose option might be more appealing if that is something that even exists.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search