question about weight loss & dietary needs during pregnancy

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Veteran
Anyone have any suggestions for foods(other than meat and fish) that are high in calories, iron, salt &protine or any combination of, but low in sugars. Lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks,am 27 weeks 2 days& only gained 8 lbs before the loss. I have a history of low weight gain during pregnancy(7lbs total with 1st she weighed7 lbs& 6lbs with 2nd weighed 6 lbs) but was gaining well(for me) till now with this one. I have been trying to stay away from sugars because am borderline GD but need the calories,iron (for anemia) and salt(dehydrated no matter how much water or gatorade i drink.)
October 4th, 2012, 08:14 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Have you tried smoothies and bars? Both are easy ways to get additional calories without having to stuff yourself with "real" food. Smoothies are an awesome way to pack a bunch of extra calories in without feeling it.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
October 4th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a vegetarian so I have to make sure I get enough Protein and Iron in my diet for the baby. Oatmeal is a magical food. It has 10g of protein per bowl, complex carbohydrates and iron, and using milk to prepare it gives extra protein. Cottage Cheese is also a protein packed food. and you can always throw a handfull of walnuts and almonds in a little snack baggy and carry them along. Pumpkin seeds have lots of iron as well.
October 4th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Veteran
Thank you both.I have tried smoothies but certain fruits (not sure why) havent been my friend but the doctor said something about possibly having me take some kind of high coloric supplement (I guess like a type of protein powder) & could mix some in with a smoothie.

Never even thought of oatmeal or nuts .Came up with eggs,cheese,milk, certain veggies& then the meats & fish then the things ya'll suggested but it doesnt seem varied for the next 2-3 months.I go back in to the doctors on the 17th If lose more weight will probably make a appointment with a dietitian then

It was easier with the first 2 because the doctors told me to just eat high calorie foods whatever i wanted, & to eat 6 small meals a day. Didnt have to worry about sugar content if its high in iron,protien nothing could just eat.LOL
October 4th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nuts for sure. Avocado. Add butter and olive oil to your diet. You can put a little butter in your oatmeal. Salad dressing with olive oil and sprinkle eggs, cheese, meat chunks, almonds, etc. on top of your salad. Make your salad with spinach for more nutritional value. Cheese and butter on whole wheat, nutty breads. Mayo for extra fat and calories. Hmmm what else ..

October 4th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Veteran
How about quinoa!? Love that stuff -- you can use it as a replacement for rice in stir-fry, burritos, soups, etc. Also check out chia seeds. They aren't super high in calories, but they've got a good amount of Omega-3 and you can make a super quick and easy pudding with them and some milk (or soy milk, almond milk, etc) and just put in a bit of cocoa powder -- I eat this for breakfast sometimes. So good!
October 4th, 2012, 07:30 PM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
can you do greek yogurt? I would do that with nuts and fruit and a touch of honey

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

October 5th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Veteran
I love greek yogurt & never had/tried chia seeds. Quinoa I have tried my kids actually Like it which is great. Thank You all for advice
October 5th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Veteran
Avocado, Hummus, Boiled Eggs, Omelette, Any kind of Nuts, Whole grain pasta, whole grain bagel, cream cheese that is fully pasteurized ( i ate all that time)

I lost 2-3 lbs too the last 1-2 week, and at the beginning I already gained 11-12 Lbs, then lost 2-3 lbs so gain so far around 9 Lbs , i just don't like to eat that much anymore lately don't know why...but i ate 6-8 times a day, very small bowl cup of whole grain pasta, chicken breast , white fish, and veggies + milk that's all I like now..

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search