Another btdt mom question - how many...

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
How many bibs did you need?

Receiving blankets?

Hats?

Socks?

Bottles?

I'm going through everything I have and trying to find out what I need more of and what I can get rid of. I swear I have about 25 bibs and 40 receiving blankets!

November 20th, 2012, 07:31 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Great thread. I know I have various recommendations on the numbers from various websites, but it would be nice to hear from "real" moms, rather than websites

I'm very curious about the hats! I think we have 3, but I feel that won't be nearly enough!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
November 20th, 2012, 07:41 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
I used a ton of blankets. I often kept my kids naked so I could hold them against my skin. I used the blankets to cover them at night, of course, as burp cloths, as bibs, to hold on one side while I was nursing on the other (breast pads couldn't keep up with my leaking!), swaddlers, and essentially for everything. I had one with me at all times, and when it got gross, I'd get another. I think that blankets and receiving blankets were my number 1 useful thing.

As they get just a little older, I used bibs or receiving blankets quite a bit. A bib is easier to clean and less expensive to replace than clothing, plus it was nice to have a wiping rag attached to the baby.

Burp cloths are really nice as they get older, fill their stomachs more, and occasionally projectile vomit more than a receiving blanket or bib can catch.

I didn't use hats as much, which is surprising, given how cold it was when I first had DS1. I just held him a lot so he stayed warm. If we went out, I'd put a hat on him. I have to say, I adore hats, whether I use them or not. I think that they're my favorite part of a baby's outfit. Some are just crazy, which I looooove!

I used booties more than socks. I couldn't get socks to stay on my kids, but I could adjust booties a little more. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said that I have 75+ single baby socks. *sigh*

Bottles will depend, I suppose. I breastfed DS1 exclusively. DS2 is on a feeding tube, though, so I had to pump immediately for him. I fed him straight from the pumping bottles, usually, so my math for what a newborn needs in that area would be really skewed. :/ Sorry.

November 20th, 2012, 08:04 PM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How many bibs did you need? I have at least 50 bibs... lol They always come in handy. I never used many when I was exclusively BFing, but once I started formula feeding they were a must. I have stained ones that I use at home and then nice ones for if we're going out.

Receiving blankets? I don't really know. Maybe a handful.

Hats? DD had quite a few and I tried to keep one on at her because she was tiny and losing weight after she was born. DS never really was into keeping hats on. I think I had around 5 of them for him mainly for when we were going outdoors. I always made sure the kids had a hat on them and still do. DS rips his off though.. grr. Same for socks! I can't keep socks or shoes on the kid so I think I'm going to have to resort to tights or something soon.

Socks? buy stock in these because the washer gnomes seem to gobble them up. Seriously. I have quite a few baby socks and some brands I loathe.

Bottles? They accumulate as your child grows. You'll lose them or they'll prefer a special kind. I wouldn't stock up right away. Just get a starter kit or a bottle to try it out then work from there. I usually made sure I had enough to last throughout the day so I wasn't constantly washing a bottle out.

November 20th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Host of March '10 PR
How many bibs did you need? I had a big bag full of way more than I'd ever need. I'd say maybe 12-15 would be a good amount?

Receiving blankets? Again, I had way more than I needed. You could probably make due with 8-10

Hats? I had a few and never used them. They were too big for her when she was a newborn.

Socks? I don't think we used socks for the first month or two. They fell right off.

Bottles? I agree not to overdo it with bottles before baby is here. You never know what their preference will be, it'll likely be trial and error fir a while til you find the right match.
November 20th, 2012, 09:08 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy

Tori was a drool monster! It seemed like she had a bib on during her waking hours for the first year of her life! I had an entire drawer of about 30-40 bibs (all different colors so I could coordinate with her outfits of course)

Receiving blankets?

I only had about 10 of these. She did like to be swaddled at night so we used them a lot.

Hats?

We had a couple of these too but didn't use them that much for two reasons: #1 it's Florida and her hair would get matted and sweaty and #2 her head was off the charts in circumference. A lot of her hats just looked too tight and uncomfortable on her head.

Socks?

I'd say with Tori I had about 20 pair or more...many of her outfits came with them and then I bought a lot of those cute ones that looked like shoes!

Bottles?

In the beginning I had 4 of the 4 oz bottles and when she started eating more and I switched to the 8 oz ones, I wound up with 6 I think.

November 21st, 2012, 08:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How many bibs did you need? Lots!

Receiving blankets? Zero. I never used one. Found them useless.

Hats? One - I had an April baby and it got warm.

Socks? Lots!

Bottles? Two - didn't really bottlefeed

November 21st, 2012, 10:13 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How many bibs did you need? Yes, lots! But we very rarely used bibs until DS started eating baby food, then we used them alot. I say what you have *may* be a little much, maybe would only need around 10- 15. You can always return some to buy something else and if you end up needing them then can buy some.

Receiving blankets? I didn't use these at all with DS, it was so cold that we used thick ones but if you want some on hand I'd say about 5-6

Hats? We never used those tiny little hats, his head was too big and I hated how they only come to the top of their ears! We did use a bigger hat when we went out in the cold so I'd say about 5 or so. I have 1 thick one and 3 thinner ones that may or may not fit him.

Socks? Depends on how much laundry your going to be doing. I have about 15 pairs.

Bottles? With DS I only had around 4 and ended up using the same 2 all the time.

November 21st, 2012, 11:01 AM
Thank you so much ladies!!! I think i'm probably good with everything that i have, if not too good.

I'll be going back to work so the little one will have to use bottles part of the day. I was given 2 tommee tippees, an avent and a gift pack of 5 Dr Browns, so i'm probably ok for a while.

I think i might buy a couple of warmer hats too, since we're in Michigan and it can get pretty chilly here.

November 21st, 2012, 07:02 PM
Super Mommy

I only really used bibs with my second, who was a major drooler, and I think we had 8-10 for him.

Receiving blankets?

I use tons of blankets. For covering a winter baby I tend to use bigger blankets, generally have a favorite few "special blankets" that were gifted or I picked up. Thicker blankets over the car seat when we'd go out. I use a lot of receiving blankets in the early days because they're great under baby in bed, or as a light covering when we're all snuggled up. They're great under me at night to absorb some milk leaks, great to grab if one side is leaking profusely while baby is nursing the other! I'm just a fan, hah

Hats?

I also keep my winter babies in hats. My favorites are Hanna Andersson's pilot caps, they're just so sweet and they stay put. But I have tons of hats in different styles (I think the knot-topped ones are really cute too). I've hung onto the ones that actually stay on baby heads and given away the ones that don't. But there's always a hat on that little head

Socks?

I have kept tiny socks on winter babies (but not on summer babies), and I generally just have a package of them, so probably 6-8 little socks. Could always use more

Bottles?

We have a few bottles that go with my hand pump but we've never used them for feeding so no help there!
November 27th, 2012, 10:38 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How many bibs did you need? roughly a bazillion when he was in the super drooler phase. Seriously, tons.

Receiving blankets? We rarely used these. We liked the big fluffy blankets for holding him since he was born in early Feb. And I liked the size of burp cloths better for spit up and stuff like that. I had a lot of those, maybe 20-25? This time around, I think some of the flannel recieving blankets that we never used are going to be turned into cloth wipes and washrags.

Hats? quite a few. It was chilly so he had a hat on a lot for the first couple months. We had maybe 10?

Socks? rarely used when he was tiny. It was just so hard to get them on his tiny wiggly feet. We had him in footie sleepers a lot.

Bottles? I think we had 4-5 small 5oz bottles, and maybe 4 8oz bottles? He was breastfed while I was home though, and those usually got us through 2 days before having to wash.

November 27th, 2012, 12:09 PM
LovelyMama's Avatar Veteran
Location: Military Wife ~ living everywhere my hubby is needed :-)
BTDT Moms: Any thoughts on how many burp clothes you went through?
November 27th, 2012, 04:35 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
How many bibs did you need? None. I have literally never put a bib on any of my four kids. I didn't have droolers, and I prefer to get them naked if a meal is going to be messy.

Receiving blankets? Never too many! I have two big laundry baskets full, all folded neatly.

Hats? I think I have half a dozen or so? But I frequently don't bother to match them to an outfit, and use just one or two all the time, even when it clashes. Lol.

Socks? I needed far fewer with just one kid. I don't remember the number. As the family size, and laundry volume, has increased, it has become increasingly difficult to ever find a matched pair, for anyone in the family. Lol.

Bottles? I ebf, and only ever have two or three.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (12), Selene (8), Garvin (6), Gwen (3), Thomas (21m), and a bonus surprise, due 29 June 2015
November 28th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Ahari's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal91011 View Post

Receiving blankets?

Hats?

Socks?

Bottles?

I'm going through everything I have and trying to find out what I need more of and what I can get rid of. I swear I have about 25 bibs and 40 receiving blankets!
I can guarantee u have enough bibs and blankets lol

November 28th, 2012, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahari View Post

I can guarantee u have enough bibs and blankets lol
Haha I know I was bombarded with them!! My bff is also pregnant so I'm giving her some of these items.

November 28th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Pregnant with #2
Bibs- We had about 15-20 bibs
Receiving Blankets- I went overboard here. I had about 35 of them...seriously I thought I would use them for so much but my son never spit up much, he could not be swaddled in them because he needed the tight velcro kind, and I still have brand new ones lol!
Bottles- I was crazy but I had about 12 bottles...I loved it though. I didnt have to wash them right away, I could rinse stick in the dishwasher and use that time elsewhere.
Socks- I forget to be honest, sorry. I had way more receiving blankets than anything haha.
Hats- Maybe 6-8? I forget this too ahhhh!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search