Anyone Had This?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2012, 04:49 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey

I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue or has any advice.

So my DH and I just had dinner and his fam picked up something local. I had a grilled chicken sandwich, some french fries, DH and I split a small milkshake, and we tried a cake pop each that my MIL made. Obviously not the healthiest dinner ever, but I've eaten mini meals all day and have eaten healthy so I figured a little something bad won't kill me.

Well starting pretty soon after eating I felt like my heart was racing and was really short of breath for awhile. It's pretty much calmed down now but I really was feeling weird and it wasn't like I was moving, I was just sitting down on my comp and I felt like I was running a marathon and couldn't catch my breath.

Has anyone had something similar? Is this something I should talk to a Dr about? It concerns me because obviously I had a bit more sugar than my other meals and although I passed my GD test, I'm sort of feeling nervous because this doesn't seem normal....or maybe it is, I'm not sure. I can't think if it has happened before, if so not like this, but besides obviously watching what I eat in one sitting, has anyone been through this/have any suggestions?

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
November 25th, 2012, 05:13 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I haven't had that experience at all...I am always one to say "call if in doubt". I can say it would probably also freak me out a little, and maybe it was the sugar, but you can never be too sure? Maybe give a call in the AM?

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
November 25th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpeanut View Post
I haven't had that experience at all...I am always one to say "call if in doubt". I can say it would probably also freak me out a little, and maybe it was the sugar, but you can never be too sure? Maybe give a call in the AM?
Yeah I'm wondering if it is just the sugar it's just a really weird reaction to have. I think it's particularly concerning because I don't have GD, but this seems like an odd reaction potentially to have to what sounds like a big meal and obviously more sugar than usual.

November 25th, 2012, 05:36 PM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would second the fact that in no way would I want you to ignore it and not call the doctor, but I *think* I've had something similar. I get two versions. For me, sometimes the BH contractions feel like someone has punched me in the stomach (as in the actual organ, not the general belly region) and I get a tightness in my chest. As weird as this seemed to me, the doc said it was normal (since I do not have any underlying cardiovascular issues). I will also sometimes -- usually in the morning -- get breathless, where I feel like I can't get enough air into my lungs, after I've eaten. I've interpreted this as my stomach filling up, and with room down there a scarce commodity, my lungs get squished. With these, and I sometimes think it might be me just panicking, I find my heart races a bit, but not for any duration of time.

But, when it comes to the heart, I would urge more caution, even if this sounds similar. Can't hurt to call.
WENDYLL22 likes this.
November 25th, 2012, 05:36 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't have GD either but can be very sensitive to sugar. Sometimes if my meals are too full of carbs my sugar will spike then start to fall rapidly.

Is this new for you? I only ask because my episodes have been ongoing, but I've had to get a cardiologist because of it and am in the process of being tested for pregnancy induced arrhythmia. (totally benign and goes away after pregnancy.)

Not trying to scare you by any means. Just sounds very similar to what happens to me.

Def call your Dr. tomorrow and see what they suggest. Keep track of when it happens and what your were doing etc. in case it happens again.

I have pretty low blood pressure too, which can in turn cause your heart to race and have all those symptoms you described as your heart is trying to keep up the blood flow despite a fall in BP.
WENDYLL22 likes this.

November 25th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyenchanted View Post
I don't have GD either but can be very sensitive to sugar. Sometimes if my meals are too full of carbs my sugar will spike then start to fall rapidly.

Is this new for you? I only ask because my episodes have been ongoing, but I've had to get a cardiologist because of it and am in the process of being tested for pregnancy induced arrhythmia. (totally benign and goes away after pregnancy.)

Not trying to scare you by any means. Just sounds very similar to what happens to me.

Def call your Dr. tomorrow and see what they suggest. Keep track of when it happens and what your were doing etc. in case it happens again.

I have pretty low blood pressure too, which can in turn cause your heart to race and have all those symptoms you described as your heart is trying to keep up the blood flow despite a fall in BP.
Hm that's interesting info. My BP is always great when I go in, but I did have that issue obviously breaking down sugar in my one hour GD test although I passed my 3 hour which is why I sort of wondered about it. There have been some times where I have found after a big meal or too much sugar that my heart is almost racing, but not to the extent tonight. Tonight was full on trying to slow down my breathing plus feeling like my heart is racing.

I may just call the OB tomorrow and just let them know. For now it's still a little hard to breathe, but my heart rate feels normal, I'm not swelling, and the baby has been moving around so it doesn't seem to be an emergency. It can be so hard to tell though when to call and when you are just being a crazy lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistletoe View Post
I would second the fact that in no way would I want you to ignore it and not call the doctor, but I *think* I've had something similar. I get two versions. For me, sometimes the BH contractions feel like someone has punched me in the stomach (as in the actual organ, not the general belly region) and I get a tightness in my chest. As weird as this seemed to me, the doc said it was normal (since I do not have any underlying cardiovascular issues). I will also sometimes -- usually in the morning -- get breathless, where I feel like I can't get enough air into my lungs, after I've eaten. I've interpreted this as my stomach filling up, and with room down there a scarce commodity, my lungs get squished. With these, and I sometimes think it might be me just panicking, I find my heart races a bit, but not for any duration of time.

But, when it comes to the heart, I would urge more caution, even if this sounds similar. Can't hurt to call.
I know what you're saying about having a hard time breathing sometimes and I know sometime that really is just the baby. This was just a different episode because I was literally fine till a little bit after having dinner and more sugar than usual and then my body just went kind of haywire and it wasn't like I was trying to do anything other than sit on the couch and surf the web.

November 25th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Today when I was taking my pill I had such pain start at my throat go down to my stomach. It hurt so bad I thought I was going to pass out. Im not sure if it was my indigestion or what, but it only happened that once. Doesn't sound like your problem, but I thought I would share.

If I were you I would call only if it happens again. It could be just because of what you ate, but if it happens again I think it would be something of concern.
MammaWannaBe likes this.

November 25th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyschultz View Post
Today when I was taking my pill I had such pain start at my throat go down to my stomach. It hurt so bad I thought I was going to pass out. Im not sure if it was my indigestion or what, but it only happened that once. Doesn't sound like your problem, but I thought I would share.

If I were you I would call only if it happens again. It could be just because of what you ate, but if it happens again I think it would be something of concern.
Yeah I have had like mini symptoms of the heart racing after eating, it's the shortness of breath and like really really feeling like my heart was going to burst out for a long period of time that made this instance different. I'll have to see how I feel in the morning.

Thanks for sharing and you're right, it might just be the food so as hard as it might be, I'm going to limit sugar even more to see if that helps.

November 25th, 2012, 06:16 PM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i am very sensitive to sugar and that is what I do when I "dump" due to eating too much sugar from my gastric bypass surgery. it sounds like you just might of had too much sugar, but again....when in doubt...CALL....there is no harm in it!
MammaWannaBe likes this.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

November 25th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikki. View Post
i am very sensitive to sugar and that is what I do when I "dump" due to eating too much sugar from my gastric bypass surgery. it sounds like you just might of had too much sugar, but again....when in doubt...CALL....there is no harm in it!
Yeah I definitely probably shocked the crap out of my system.

Total TMI but I've had continuous "bad #2's" since then so the food definitely didn't agree with me.

November 25th, 2012, 07:24 PM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had heart racing and trouble catching my breath at times, for no reason. I just figured it was from all the extra blood flowing. Mine usually went away within a minute or so. If your worried I would ask the DR.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
November 26th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
I've had random hear racing that only last a minute or so but it feels like my heart is going to pop out! It doesn't happen if I eat, just randomly happens. I figured it was just something to do with the pregnancy.

BUT like the others said, when in doubt call!
November 26th, 2012, 06:08 AM
WENDYLL22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had this yesterday. I honestly though my heart was going to explode. I had just eaten a fairly large plate of food and kinda thought maybe it was just from not breathing properly during the chow fest. Anyways, I layed down for about 15 minutes and just focused on my breathing. I am not sure what it was but it made me uncomfortable.

Last edited by WENDYLL22; November 26th, 2012 at 06:12 AM.
November 26th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Yeah it really sucks. It's a scary feeling. I called my OB and the nurse told me to monitor it for the next day or so and see if it happens again or gets better. I am definitely going to continue to eat even smaller meals and very little sugar and if it doesn't happen again, then I know it's related to that. I'm also going to tell my Dr about it at my next week apt just to be safe.

I know it's probably nothing, but it's nerve wracking just because I can't ask the baby "hey is this affecting you? Is this real bad? Am I making the right decision for you and I?"

November 26th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Veteran
I have had a lot of racing heart episodes, especially in the last week or so, I have just ignored it and figured it is just stress..
November 26th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah it doesn't sound like blood sugar to me. When my blood sugar is higher it makes me tired and feel just over all blah. When it is low I get shakey heart races a bit and sometimes I even feel dizzy. Since you ate extra carbs and sugar I wouldn't think it would be low. I'm glad you talked to the doc and may be it was just a freak thing.

November 27th, 2012, 02:53 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Sorry. Trying to catch up, and I saw this. If it was not long after you ate, it's most likely reflux/heartburn. Pleasant, huh? Because of the location of the esophagus, stomach, heart, lack of room, etc., reflux ends up scaring the bejeezus out of lots of pregnant women (and NOT pregnant people). Smaller meals, cutting out anything that might irritate your stomach, and so on SHOULD cut this out.

It's so disconcerting. :/

November 27th, 2012, 03:02 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
I feel that way every morning after breakfast...and I know from home monitoring that it is absolutely caused by a spike and then a sudden drop in my blood sugar. Apparently in the medical world that's just fine...but it doesn't feel fine, for sure!
If herbals are something you would consider, I take a tincture called Sweetish Bitters before breakfast, and it keeps my sugars level. Gaia is the manufacturer. Don't get something called Swedish Bitters; that's not safe for pregnancy.
MammaWannaBe likes this.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
November 27th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks ladies for the advice! It was definitely freaky and I am going to bring it up to my DR when I go in next week just to let him know, it's hard to know when things are normal or not! I've had shortness of breath, but I'm pretty sure that's just from the baby crowding my diaphram--going to make for interesting choir practice this week!

What I have done is started to eat smaller meals or if I want some chocolate, have a snack sized candy bar not 5 (although that is really hard to stick to lol). And I'm definitely not eating milk shakes or anything resembling fast food until after baby comes! On the bright side maybe my weight gain won't be insane. For now that seems to be helping and I haven't had an episode since.

November 27th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomama View Post
I feel that way every morning after breakfast...and I know from home monitoring that it is absolutely caused by a spike and then a sudden drop in my blood sugar. Apparently in the medical world that's just fine...but it doesn't feel fine, for sure!
If herbals are something you would consider, I take a tincture called Sweetish Bitters before breakfast, and it keeps my sugars level. Gaia is the manufacturer. Don't get something called Swedish Bitters; that's not safe for pregnancy.
I will have to try this. Since I have had GD I have never had a spike in blood sugar then it come down quickly. Mine usually comes down slowly over the course of a couple hours. So I have only gotten what it feels like to have it a bit high or to low.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search