Appt. update - gimme your b/p advice

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By marybeth76
  • 1 Post By mojomama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The appt. was mostly good. My weight was back down to what it was at my last appt. so I was happy about that. But my b/p at first was 120/96 and I was concerned about that. My doctor didn't seem terribly worried about it; she did ask about swelling and headaches, etc. but I've had none of that. She said it could just be an anomaly, stress, etc. and it's probably not a big deal. She had the nurse come back in and take it before I left and it was 130's/80, so the bottom number was better but the top one went up. Plus I was lying down when she took it and I obviously don't lie around all day.

So I don't know how worried I should be. I don't want to have a stroke or something! She just had me make my regular appt. for 2 weeks from now and that seems like a long time to go without re-checking the b/p. But then I also realized when I got home that she forgot to schedule a NST for next week so I'll probably call about that and hopefully get that scheduled, at least then I'd know my b/p will be checked next week.

Should I get a cuff do you think? I'm just stressing that it's going to go super high and I won't know it.

November 30th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
120 is not high at all UNLESS your one of these whos normal is 90's Also Ive been told that your BP tends to be higher if your laying down so that could be why it went up, and you were (like most of us would be) probably worried about the 1st reading, which could've made it go up.

I wouldn't buy one just yet, unless you just want to of course. They will check it at your NST.

November 30th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I was more worried about the bottom number - 96. Which went down to 80 by the time I left so that made me feel a tad better but I just worry.
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

November 30th, 2012, 11:40 AM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
I think you're probably just stressing. I'm usually 120/70 but a few appts ago I was 130/75 and I got a little nervous. But I checked it later @ Publix and it was right back to normal.

November 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
I wouldn't buy a cuff just yet...stop by the grocery store machine a couple of times. Also, remember that a slight increase toward the end is completely normal.
.Nikki. likes this.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (12), Selene (8), Garvin (6), Gwen (3), Thomas (21m), and a bonus surprise, due 29 June 2015
November 30th, 2012, 11:59 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i agree with everyone else, just stop in a store and use theirs if you ever feel nervous, but honestly if there was something to worry about she would of scheduled you to be seen sooner then 2 weeks. (hugs) I hate all these numbers they throw at us all the time, but I have learned, don't stress until the doctor is concerned....if she isn't concerned...just try to relax!!!

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

November 30th, 2012, 12:20 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I everyone else...and for sure go to a CVS or whatnot and you can check easily there. My SIL did that at least 1x a day when she got near the end, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
November 30th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Pregnant with #2
Actually checking your BP at a grocery store/pharmacy is pointless. Those machines are RARELY calibrated properly/often and are very unreliable. I agree with you...the bottom number is way more concerning than the top number any day at this point. When is your next appointment? I would keep an eye out for the typical BP issue symptoms and call immediately if you get nervous It is going to be higher when you first arrive (walking, rushing if you are late, stairs)...any number of things can cause it. Laying down for sure will. I had to take my BP once a day and then twice a day at home with Brendan so I bought one...best $100 I spent but it was a totally different situation than this I would not worry yet!

November 30th, 2012, 12:36 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiesquared View Post
Actually checking your BP at a grocery store/pharmacy is pointless. Those machines are RARELY calibrated properly/often and are very unreliable.
Oh really?? I had no idea!! But that does make sense now that you say it. I guess it might tell you if you are about to stroke out or something, but probably not much else, eh? Really good to know this, I didn't even think about that, but thanks for sharing that tidbit!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
November 30th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiesquared View Post
It is going to be higher when you first arrive (walking, rushing if you are late, stairs)...any number of things can cause it. Laying down for sure will
Ok, so you guys are saying that laying down can cause your b/p to go up? Not down?

And yeah, it's that bottom number of 96 that has me worried. The top was good the first time and not great but acceptable the second. It was a different girl and a different cuff today, and she had trouble getting it to even work. I probably wouldn't be as worried if my b/p hadn't gone up when I was in labor with my daughter.

I also don't feel good today. I woke up tired and crampy and my legs are hurting. I've had a ton of really strong and uncomfortable BH, but I laid down and drank some water and they tapered off. I'm still stuffed up from being sick and I was stressed that my nose was going to start pouring snot while I was there, lol. I know I've been doing way too much lately (up working 10+ hours a day trying to get my work finished in time for Christmas) and I've also been eating too much processed/salty foods, WAY more than I normally do. It's just scary because sometimes it seems like high b/p doesn't have many symptoms. I don't have any swelling and I'm not currently seeing spots or anything (I have in the past but I am prone to migraines and I always see the flashy spot when I get one). I wish she would've done a urinalysis to be sure there wasn't any protein.

My next appt. isn't for 2 weeks which also worries me, that just seems so long with a high b/p reading.

November 30th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Pregnant with #2
Did they at least do the pee dip stick? Also, have you taken any cold medicine or Sudafed...that can cause your BP to go up. My OB never uses a mechanical type cuff...did they do the manual type of BP test with the thing they listen to lol (I forget whats its called wow).

Karin- I had no idea either. My high-risk OB with Brendan was the one who told me that before as well as some nurses.

November 30th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They don't normally even do a urinalysis at my appts. The only reason I peed for them today is because of a UTI I had awhile back, they wanted to make sure it was all gone. I sincerely doubt they will do anything else with my pee. I would feel alot better if I felt like they were at least checking for protein.

They used a manual bp cuff and stethoscope. I used some nose spray while I was trying to sleep this morning, a few hours before my appt, because I can't breathe through my nose at all. I know we're not really supposed to and I try not to use it but I was tired of not being able to breathe. That's all I've used for this cold.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search