NST - Standard or Indicated?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Dee
I noticed that a few people are starting to get Non-Stress Tests. I've heard a little about this from friends, but was wondering, is this the sort of test that everybody gets, or is it only under certain circumstances? I googled it and found articles that suggested it would only be if you noticed a decrease in movement, were having lots of early contractions, or were past your due date. But are some of you having them no matter what at 34/36 weeks-ish? Is your health care provider telling you why they're doing the test?
December 5th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Host of March '10 PR
I never had one with my first pregnancy. Up until a few days ago, I honestly didn't even know what one consisted of!
I'm having them now that I'm in the hospital, to monitor babies heart rate and see if I'm having contrax. I think it's only nessacary if there is some kind of cause for concern- not something done in every pregnancy.
December 5th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm having them because I am high risk. I had placenta issues with my last that they don't want to happen again. They monitor the baby to make sure she is not in distress. I had them with DS because he had kidney issues and they wanted to make sure he wasn't under any distress.

If you are having a normal healthy pregnancy you will not have NST's unless a concern would arise.

December 5th, 2012, 01:17 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
I have them because I'm having a lot of early contractions, and I had many, many complications with my last pregnancy (loads of placenta problems). I did not have NSTs with my previous pregnancies!

December 5th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think they are only if you are high risk for some reason or if you're having certain issues, etc.

I'm supposed to start having them weekly because of my last child being so tiny (4lb12oz) at full term. The high risk OB says that if it was due to placenta issues, there is a chance it can recur and that NST's are very very good at showing how well baby is doing and how the placenta is holding up, etc.

December 5th, 2012, 01:34 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
I had about a thousand of them when I was pregnant with my second, because I started having preterm labor at just 23 weeks. They figured that as long as I was at the clinic for a cervical length u/s, they may as well put me on the machines.
I haven't had any with any of my other babies, even though I've had preterm labor with all of them. I had *better* outcomes without the tests, too.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
December 5th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
I'm having them since I had high blood pressure with my first son. I never had to have them with him though so I think it depends on the dr. too.
December 5th, 2012, 02:13 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had one with my son at 35 weeks because I'm a klutz and tripped over an indentation in the floor and fell on the side of my stomach. BTW, our bellies are amazing cushions for these babies!

December 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Expecting #1 & 2
I am having them because I am having twins. No other reason.

My twin girls are prayer buddies for Sarah Faith and Leah Hope.
Please keep them in your prayers.

December 5th, 2012, 04:28 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have them every 2 weeks at the Maternal Fetal Medicine Dr. (High Risk). I've never had them before I was referred to her though.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

December 5th, 2012, 05:47 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Mine start on the 20th, and I will be doing TWO a WEEK. I am high risk, but to my knowledge, no other reason. Since I see a perinatologist/MFM for my regular doctor, this is standard practice there.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 5th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Dee
This is all very interesting and helpful. Thanks for posting!
December 5th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's usually only if indicated, for high risk mommies, or if you are post dates. I had several with my first to monitor my placenta previa and had a couple more once I passed my due date.

I didn't have any with my last baby and, unless something comes up, I won't be having any this time around either.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
December 6th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
In Germany they are standard at every visit after the 28th week. It's my least favorite thing at the doctors..I find it uncomfortable and I always have to hold and push down on the monitor because I have a wiggle worm that hates anything that touches my stomach..
December 6th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not having them and haven't had them with any of my 3 pregnancies, but I am not high risk nor have I had any issues.

December 6th, 2012, 08:11 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
I never had one with my other 2 pregnancies. This pregnancy had had tons of tests due to another reason but my dr never mentioned this test for this pregnacy. I think if you are having "certain" issues they may give you the test.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search