Versions?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By marybeth76
  • 1 Post By LilHerndon
  • 1 Post By Babyschultz
  • 1 Post By Angel.Eyes4351
  • 2 Post By lovelyenchanted
  • 2 Post By Lucky Mama
  • 1 Post By Trina25
  • 2 Post By A.Sue8
  • 1 Post By Lucky Mama
  • 1 Post By Lacey_619

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So as you all are sick of hearing by now about River being breech I have been looking into somethings to flip him. One of the things that has come up are the Versions (doctor turning the baby). I just talked to a friend that I never even knew that she had this done since she had two c-sections and she told me it was the most horrific pain that she had ever had to endure and the baby wouldn't turn.
Has anyone ever had this done? If so what was your experience?

December 8th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know anything about it personally, but it's something I would consider if this little one is breech when time has run out (and if I could find a doctor skilled in versions).

I have heard it is quite painful. I think sometimes they will do it with an epidural though. It can also cause you to go into labor or rupture your membranes. I think it is successful quite often in turning the baby.

I would do it simply because I feel like I would do just about anything to avoid a c/s. Some of that may just be fear talking though, I don't know.

December 8th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know next to nothing about the techniques used, but my problem is that if I'd be in that much pain, what would my little one be feeling? I'd be uncomfortable not knowing how it may affect the baby, even if they say the baby doesn't feel anything. But I have also healed from a c-section type surgery before and while it sucked, there are worse things I suppose. I guess it all depends on if there would definitely be success, a guarantee my little one wouldn't be messed with in any way, and if the pain would be standable.
Lacey_619 likes this.

Always remembering our angel babies - 4/2011 (ectopic), 4/2012 (chemical) and
Angel Twins 5/23/14 (at 7 weeks 2 days)

December 8th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My sister- in-law had this done with her first and it failed. She ended up having a section. She said it was very painful. I would think if you had an epi first that would help. I would ask your Dr for sure.
Lacey_619 likes this.

December 8th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd do it. I'd probably try everything else first. Spinning babies, chiropractor, maxibustion? (Idk a lot about that). I was going to let my doc do an external version with my first but I never made it far enough before my water broke... So c-section.
Lacey_619 likes this.

and introducing Julia Pearl
December 8th, 2012, 03:14 PM
The problem that I might run into is my doctor. I just don't see him being to keen on the idea but I thought I would at least ask about it. If he says that he doesn't think it is a good idea then I will listen to him. I think like Marybeth said I am petrified of a c-section but really the more I read about it the better I feel. If he is still breech on Thursday I will go ahead and schedule a c-section and hope he turns before then. If not I will just have to accept it and stop worrying so much. Thanks for the advice ladies!

December 8th, 2012, 05:08 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
I've not had it done. I have watched it on youtube, there are a few videos out there.

I have also heard it's very painful, and the success rate isn't very high. Often times baby will flip back. I also believe that only certain doctors will do it due to the risks.

I understand not wanting a c/s, but I can tell you in my experience, the c/s wasn't very bad. I did however, have a horrid birthing experience due to the size of my pelvis, and it's not something I really want to relive, so a repeat c/s is an easy decision for me. Plus I do not want to risk the fetal distress we had last time... way too scary and emotional for me.

So, for your sake, I hope he turns, but also know that if you DO have a c/s, not all of them are terrible. I was up shopping 2 days after my release in Target, and talked to another new mom, and I was walking better than she was at 4 weeks PP with a natural birth.

I hope everything works out for you the way you want it to.
Lacey_619 and Babyschultz like this.

December 8th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would research spinning babies, acupressure, or moxibustion, too. Also, there's no harm in getting a second opinion!

Some doctors just prefer to do c-sections as a personal preference (OBs are trained surgeons after all ), so some doctors may not have a lot of motivation to turn him anyway.

I don't know if that's the case with your doctor, of course, but you can always get an other assembly from another OB if you'd rather avoid the section. Some doctors will do a lot more to try to turn a breech baby than others. Just a difference in practices and preferences. Good luck! I hope he turns on his own!
Lacey_619 and mojomama like this.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
December 8th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Veteran
My little one is breech too. She has until Wednesday to turn or I will schedule a C-section. I was giving the opition of tyring to turn her but decided against it. The success rates are 50/50 and it is painful. They have to do it in the hospital because things can go bad very fast. As much as I don't want a C-section, I would rather have one and let her cook until 39 weeks then for something bad to happen. And if she turns before the scheduled C-section then they will let me go into natural labor and try that.
Lacey_619 likes this.
December 9th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My hospital offers a whole bunch of courses for pregnant women like yoga, accupuncture, massage and for mommies with breech babies the have a deep water immersion and hot cold therapie. I read up about deep water immersion(swimming and headstands in a pool) and it's the most successful do it yourself technique for turning a breech baby.
Angel.Eyes4351 and Lacey_619 like this.
December 9th, 2012, 07:11 AM
I was looking into accupunture and there is only two near where I live and they don't deal with pregnant women. I have been doing yoga, putting peas on my stomach nothing has worked so far. The yoga is getting harder when I have to pretty much be upside down and I am getting big enough that it is pretty uncomfortable.
I think I have been afraid of the c-section just because it is a complete unknown to me. All the times I have had babied I really never even had that it my mind. It would be nice to have him here quickly and avoid labor..I will keep doing what I am doing and just go with the flow.

December 9th, 2012, 11:21 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I obviously haven't had this done, nor have I heard of it, but honestly, if Scooter is/were breech, I would talk to my doctor about ALL possible options to avoid a section.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 9th, 2012, 08:01 PM
mrssws's Avatar Veteran
My cousin had this done. It was successful and the baby didn't flip back and she was able to deliver vaginally. She said it was the most excruciating pain she ever went through in her life. My baby is breech as well, I been doing spinning babies. I hope River is just teasing and flips for you at the last minute

December 10th, 2012, 06:17 AM
I hope so too! We will see on Thurs. Thanks again for all the input.

December 10th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck! C'mon, little one! Time to do a headstand!

KUP on what the doc says. Fingers crossed!
Lacey_619 likes this.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
December 10th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I will, Thank you!
Lucky Mama likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search