Anyone else terrified of PPD?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2012, 09:41 AM
LaceyMay2630's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*lurking from March DDC*

All of the women in my family have a history of PPD so the thought has definitely crossed my mind. I'm going to be doing placenta encapsulation. One of my co-worker's wife did it with their third, and she swears by it.
Lucky Mama and mojomama like this.

December 11th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm terrified because I have severe PMS that basically makes me a super depressed crying mess/almost bi polar where I just sit in the bathtub and cry for days at a time and I know they have found a link between PMS and PDD, I already told DH we really have to watch me and that i'm glad he's taking an whole month off
December 11th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
I haven't thought about it really.

I do remember after having DS, like a long while after having him I noticed that I had just not been myself for a long time. Not sad or feeling like hurting myself but no motivation, would catch myself staring off, people got on my nerves, stuff like that. After we had our loss back in March it got worse and I finally decided I'd talk to my Dr and I told her I had been this way for a long time and I just was honestly scared to admit I might need an anti depressant but that I feel like the M/C made it worse. She prescribed me Zoloft and within just a couple days I started feeling a thousand times better! I only took it a month then stopped because I found out I was pregnant plus I gained 12lbs in just that month I took it.

Anyways didn't mean to write a book, but what I'm trying to say I guess is that I do worry I'll get like that again and I don't want to take Zoloft again just because of the weight gain but I'm scared to try any other kind of anti depressant because idk anyone else who is on other kinds and I'm scared of stuff making me worse!
December 11th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomama View Post
Not really. I had it terribly with my first three...bordering on psychosis with my second. But with my last, I had my placenta encapsulated, and the post partum experience was night and day from my other three. I will never again consider *not* consuming my placenta! I paid, I think, $250 or so to have it done last time. This time, we bought a capsule machine, and dh is going to do it for me. We plan on adding a little lemon balm for an extra mood boost, and milk thistle for a breastmilk boost.
If for some reason I were unable to use my placenta, I am terrified of what might happen. I really don't want to go there again.

Idk about your midwife, but I'm pretty sure Jess Stahle does encapsulation, and she lives quite close to you. I thnk her website is quirkymama.com. or you could diy, like me ;-)
Shut up! That is SO crazy! My midwife and I JUST talked about this today! Guess who she recommended?!

Yup! I have Jess' name and number on a post-it on my counter right now! Small world! My midwife said at she has never had a client regret taking placenta capsules and that it can make a world of difference.

I told DH I want to either DIY it or pay someone and he thinks I have gone nuts.

Do you know how you're doing it? DIY-ing it makes me nervous (it seems daunting), but I will try anything to avoid PPD!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
December 11th, 2012, 06:49 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutebee View Post
Ditto I'm worried. I've been on depression meds for years and I've been feeling off lately. You know those days where you feel sad/off but don't know why. I have such a hard time trying to explain this to DH cause he doesn't get how I can't know what it is thats bothering me.
I totally know what you mean. I lowered my dosage of anxiety meds when I was trying to get pregnant and I've noticed a difference. They say though that you never really just have one mental issue and with the anxiety can come OCD and some really mild depression for me. I've found that I've had a really hard time coping sometimes in my pregnancy and my nesting is ocassionally really my OCD kicking in. I'm trying to be aware of it and control it, but it's hard.

I really don't want to take meds for PPD and I may not have PPD but I am going to have my DH keep an eye on it with that test you can use to monitor PPD. Also, I'm really glad my mom will be around to help because she is a therapist and knows what to look for.

Also, I am going to use some healthy coping mechanisms anyway to deal with any stress or anxiety I might have after baby. For me these things are: talking a quick walk, hoping in the shower (it helps I swear!), and possibly taking vitamins and a healthy diet. It's worth it I think for any mom to find out what will help them when they need some comfort post baby.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
December 11th, 2012, 09:44 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
Absolutely. I've had depression for years. I went on Zoloft earlier in my second tri, but only took it about a month because I just dont want it if I don't have to.

Lately, though, I know I'm depressed. I have 5 more weeks of feeling like this, then adding the extra stuff afterward.

I may restart my med. if not now, immediately after birth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search