Anyone else terrified of PPD?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had pretty bad PPD with my first and more and more, I'm starting to worry I will have it again. Anyone else afraid of this?

I'm thinking of doing placental encapsulation to see if that helps. Anyone tried that before? Any other BTDT tricks?

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
December 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Some research is finding that Omega-3 deficiency could be linked, so I've been making sure to take it every day (even though eating fish with Omega-3 is way more effective). I'm also taking Vitamin D.

December 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Honestly, trying not to think about it.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 10th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a little worried about it. I never had it with the girls but had it with my first (son). It would be hard dealing with that, a new baby and three kids so it is on my mind. I secluded myself for a couple of weeks didn't let anyone come over and just cried over everything and felt horrible. I think I do better with people around me.

December 10th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Expecting #1
I am worried about it too! I had such a great pregnancy and I already know that I will miss being pregnant, so that is why I am worried. I am going to keep up my vitamins and try to get outside as much as possible those first two weeks, even if its only for 10 minutes while baby is napping.

December 10th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I never had it with the other 4 kids. I'm hoping not to have it this time around.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
December 10th, 2012, 10:22 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm really nervous about it actually. I suffer from anxiety to begin with and I'm afraid of how the hormones and stuff will effect me. I've actually even been monitoring for pre PPD. I have really gotten kind of down at times, but I can pull myself out of it and I think a lot of it is related to the continuous pain and stuff.

Idk I don't want to take a medication for it if I do end up having PPD, but maybe it would be worth it to look into some vitamin supplements just in case.

This may sound dumb, but how would you know post pregnancy if you have PPD? Is it just you "know" or can it be subtle?

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
December 10th, 2012, 10:29 AM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
Not really. I had it terribly with my first three...bordering on psychosis with my second. But with my last, I had my placenta encapsulated, and the post partum experience was night and day from my other three. I will never again consider *not* consuming my placenta! I paid, I think, $250 or so to have it done last time. This time, we bought a capsule machine, and dh is going to do it for me. We plan on adding a little lemon balm for an extra mood boost, and milk thistle for a breastmilk boost.
If for some reason I were unable to use my placenta, I am terrified of what might happen. I really don't want to go there again.

Idk about your midwife, but I'm pretty sure Jess Stahle does encapsulation, and she lives quite close to you. I thnk her website is quirkymama.com. or you could diy, like me ;-)

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
December 10th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Mere- ppd can take on many forms. Sometimes you know (I did with my third), sometimes you only see it in hindsight (like my first), and sometimes you know somethi g is wrong but you're too nuts to figure out what, and you are too afraid to ask or tell anyone how you feel (my second). The Edinburgh postnatal depression screening tool is pretty much the gokd standard. You can Google it and get a pdf copy ti keep around if you're worried.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
December 10th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I sent the questionnaire and description to my husband so that he could help keep an eye on me.

I have anxiety, but didn't suffer from PPD with my daughter. Just normal baby blues for the first week or two.

December 10th, 2012, 11:21 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i was more worried a few weeks ago, i made a post thinking that i was already getting some depression, but lately i have been feeling much better with this pregnancy. im really trying not to think about it....im scared if i dwell on it, ill bring it on. i hope we all can get through the baby blues! EEK

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

December 10th, 2012, 11:25 AM
WENDYLL22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have not given it much thought, even though it is a major thing. I went through what I think were FTM feelings with Madison. I was unsure of everything and just wondering if those first months were really what it was going to be like.

December 10th, 2012, 11:51 AM
LovelyMama's Avatar Veteran
Location: Military Wife ~ living everywhere my hubby is needed :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomama View Post
This time, we bought a capsule machine, and dh is going to do it for me. We plan on adding a little lemon balm for an extra mood boost, and milk thistle for a breastmilk boost.

Jenny, where did you get your kit from? Could you post the link?

I am undecided on doing the placenta. If I do it, I would want to DIY because I kinda don't trust handing it over to someone I don't know for them to make in their kitchen. I worry they will give me back someone elses or it won't be processed in a clean space.
December 10th, 2012, 01:07 PM
topato's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i'm scared, and i don't know what to do. i had mentioned on here before that i had talked to my doctor about depression, and he told me to "stop reading."
December 10th, 2012, 01:13 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
omg yes im terrified. I had it horribly with my son but i also think a lot of it had to do with how high my thyroid levels were. They were off the charts and when the drs finally realized it and started me on medication (8months postpartum) i started feeling better within a month. im hoping this time it will be a night and day experience than what i had with my son

December 10th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyMama View Post
Jenny, where did you get your kit from? Could you post the link?

I am undecided on doing the placenta. If I do it, I would want to DIY because I kinda don't trust handing it over to someone I don't know for them to make in their kitchen. I worry they will give me back someone elses or it won't be processed in a clean space.
I just got a capsule machine, not a specific placenta kit, at a local health food store. It's this one: http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/...sr=8-1&pi=SL75 And I just Googled instructions.

Lots of professionals will do it in your kitchen, rather than taking it. But it can be pricey. The encapsulation itself isn't hard- dh practiced by encapsulating some nettles for me, because I want the vit K boost but can't stomach the tea. As for prepari g the placenta, there are two basic methods. One has you steam it first with lemon and ginger and a pepper (traditional Chinese medicine), the other has you skip right to dehydration ("raw" method). I'll be dehydrating mine in the oven overnight and then grinding with my Magic Bullet. Or, rather, dh is going to :-)

Hope some of this is helpful!

December 10th, 2012, 04:58 PM
doxiemom24's Avatar Veteran
I'm absolutely terrified. I've been on anxiety meds for years and I weaned myself off of them for this third trimester because of the risks and it's been a bad time. So yeah, I afraid it will be an issue.

December 10th, 2012, 05:18 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Yes. I suffer from depression to begin with (I've been hospitalized for it, have "missed" months here and there, and so on). I also have severe anxiety. With DS1, I didn't recognize it as anything different from "normal" depression. I had no one around to help, and I assumed that everything I felt was just being depressed and overwhelmed. I almost died from bleeding and a kidney infection 3 weeks after his birth, so I thought that that contributed. When he was 3 months old, DH was laid off and we moved in with his parents. Again, I assumed that this was just another part of the problem (and it was, but not to the degree that I was feeling). It wasn't until I started feeling better, when he was almost a year old, that I realized what was going on. When DS2 was born, the birth itself and the events afterward were so awful that when I realized that I had PPD again, I was universally told that "anyone would be depressed with what's going on with your child". It was so awful. I had to "chin up" for a couple of years, worried that my kid was going to die, that I was neglecting the other one, that I was going to die, that I couldn't pump enough, that no one was helping or listening, etc.

I'm already having some issues, so I'm worried about PPD. I'm trying NOT to be worried since I have so much else to worry about, but we'll see. I've already decided that I'll be talking to the doctor tomorrow about it, maybe put me on something now to help. I'm not a fan of meds in pregnancy, but there are safer things to take, especially at this stage, and I think that having me be a kinder, gentler mother and wife will be worth more than the low risks involved. This would give me a little time to let it build up in my system, too. We'll see!

December 10th, 2012, 06:20 PM
cutebee's Avatar Veteran
Ditto I'm worried. I've been on depression meds for years and I've been feeling off lately. You know those days where you feel sad/off but don't know why. I have such a hard time trying to explain this to DH cause he doesn't get how I can't know what it is thats bothering me.
MammaWannaBe likes this.

[IMG][/IMG]
December 11th, 2012, 09:31 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a little worried. I had the baby blues with Sean, mostly I think due to extreme lack of sleep. I tend not to ask for help with things when I need it, so I need to be sure to rely on DH more than last time, since he'll be home too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search