Delayed Vax Schedule

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Dee
Is anyone using a delayed vaccination schedule with your kids, or planning to? Are you testing for titres instead of vaccinating automatically? I've done this with our dog (titres, that is), but I don't know much about doing it with kids.

Do you have any recommended resources for how to go about it, reasons why, and how to discuss it with their pediatrician/day care/school? Books, articles, websites, discussion groups - I'm open to any information about it.

Thanks.
December 11th, 2012, 08:42 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I haven't talked to our pediatrician about this yet, so not really sure. If I had to guess though, I'll probably be sticking to the standard vac schedule that he recommends.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 11th, 2012, 11:14 AM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
Dr Sears' The Vaccine Book is supposed to be excellent, and has recommendations for a delayed schedule.
I don't currently vaccinate my kids, but we do have discussions with them about what shots are out there, why they might want them, and about titres and such...and about why we have chosen not to make the decision for them.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
December 11th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will vac as scheduled as I have with all my children.

December 11th, 2012, 11:47 AM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
I still need to research this. I plan on delaying but haven't done much of the research on it.

Not to begin any fear mongering, but i just saw this graphic today:

IMHO, it's a little out of control.
mojomama and A.Sue8 like this.

December 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sheesh! Don't get me started! I wanted to do an alternative schedule, delaying some and omitting a few. My ped told me I could either vax on their schedule or leave their practice. Yeah. Buh-bye.

I just want some actual infirmation on risks vs benefits, but no doctor will say anything more than, "Well, I just hope your child never gets sick and dies." No kidding! Me, too! I just like to know what I'm doing to my children and the possible risks, but I'm a bad mom for even questioning the norm.

Wow. Sorry. That wasn't supposed to be such and rant. It's just such a hot button issue for me. Ugh.
mojomama likes this.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
December 11th, 2012, 12:24 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
I will vax on schedule. I'm really not sure of a delayed schedule, but if you google it there is a ton of info. I know a big one that people delay is the hep B at birth.

Keep in mind that if you delay vax, that a lot of shots are combo now, so if you're wanting to hold off certain ones, it may be harder to do. (ex: DtaP / polio / HiB is a very common combo)

Also make sure you have a ped / family dr who is supportive of this. Not all of them are, so you may have to do some "dr shopping."

Good luck with your decision!

December 11th, 2012, 12:29 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
I would definitely talk to your pediatrician ahead of time. Otherwise, some hospitals will even vax immediately at birth, then ask you to sign later!

We do a delayed schedule with ours, and we don't do more than 2 at a time. We had actually omitted many for DS1, but DS2 had such terrible health problems and was catching everything, almost dying, etc., that we started vaxing for some things that we wouldn't have done otherwise. We won't get started on the arguments we've had with docs...ugh.

If you plan to delay or omit, you definitely need your doctor to be supportive because you'll need the support all the way into the school years!
.Nikki. likes this.

December 11th, 2012, 12:31 PM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we do delayed, only one vaccine at a time....this means going to the doctors a little more than usual but it works for us and i don't want him getting different vaccines in his body at one time...they are just too little for that in my opinion.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

December 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Veteran
I'm pro vaccination. I'm going to vaccinate on schedule. Like all things that effect the well-being of another you need to do research, inform yourself and then make a judgement call. And it is harder and harder to make an informed decision because you can type anything into google and get opinions and information for and against pretty much anything. I am pro because the medically trained people in my life, including family members and my current physician have walked me through the arguments, and I know that they know more than I do about health safety risks and benefits and so I'm going to go for it. Also, it's nice to know that especially my family has mine and my baby's best interest in mind vs pharmaceutical companies.
Just my two cents!
December 11th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We currently do not vax. We were fired from our ped for it. It's become increasingly difficult to find a regular ped who is ok with our choice not to vax.

We will eventually do some vaxes. MMR, Polio, etc. If they haven't had chicken pox by the time they're 12 we'll get that one.

I really wish it were as simple for me as knowing their doctor recommends it, but it just isn't. I do feel there are dangers in many vaccines, and I also feel like someday we as humans are not going to have any semblance of an immune system at all, because we are relying on drugs to do all of our germ-fighting for us.

I still have not made a decision on the DTaP and I'm anxious about it. Ugh. I guess my son had at least one shot for it because we did vax until he was 9 months old, but my daughter has never had any vaxes.
.Nikki. likes this.

December 11th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal91011 View Post
I still need to research this. I plan on delaying but haven't done much of the research on it.

Not to begin any fear mongering, but i just saw this graphic today:

IMHO, it's a little out of control.
Germany still only does the 1980's list but I have opted for also getting a TB shot because my great aunt has TB and I don't feel safe visiting here without having julius vaccinated.
December 11th, 2012, 04:39 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are doing a regular vaccination schedule. I actually spoke to our pediatrician group about it and they made me feel very comfortable. They don't do anything extra, they follow the APA and they aren't looking to make a quick buck by buying into something that is unnecessary. That made me feel reassured.

December 11th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Lacey_619's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have vaccinated on schedule with all my kids and will do so with River. I have never had a complication with them myself or with my kids..not even a fever thankfully

December 11th, 2012, 06:27 PM
JennyBaby2013's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm pro-vax and will vax on schedule as well. They only thing we omit are all the flu shots. Sometimes we opt to get them and other times we don't. I had one this year but my kids have not.

My son was just recently seen for possible whooping cough which I don't think he had (test takes weeks) b/c a round of antibiotics kicked it from his system but it really scared me. Some believe that the delayed vax/no vax is part of the reason why some of these horrid and deadly childhood diseases are making a strong reappearance, well that combined with the an outbreak that usually happens every few years. I wasn't as concerned about him b/c he's almost 10 but I was scared b/c it can be extremely dangerous for babies. Also, they call it the 100 day cough b/c it takes about that long to finally kick it. I'd hate to see one of my children miserable for that long! A week was heartbreaking enough

I feel to each his own in what they decide is right for their family. For our family we choose to vax. We haven't had any know side effects or problems so the pro's always seem bigger than the cons for us. If one of my children had a reaction of any sort I'm sure we would definitely reconsider.
Jacob (10) Matthew (7) Paige (5)
& Liliana (0)

Liliana Eve 1/14/13 ~ 8lbs 2oz and 19"

December 11th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I'm just going to chime in again on whooping cough. It's been rampant in SoCal for the past few years, and I got a mild form of it called parapertussis last year. I had previously been vaccinated (TDaP) in order to go visit my newborn niece (SIL's orders). I was vaxed in mid Nov, I got PP in early Dec (unrelated to the vax), and I finally recovered (i.e. stopped coughing) about April. Yes, April. I hacked for that long.

And it was the worst illness I've ever had in my life.

That's all I'll say on it.

December 11th, 2012, 06:59 PM
JennyBaby2013's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpeanut View Post
I'm just going to chime in again on whooping cough. It's been rampant in SoCal for the past few years, and I got a mild form of it called parapertussis last year. I had previously been vaccinated (TDaP) in order to go visit my newborn niece (SIL's orders). I was vaxed in mid Nov, I got PP in early Dec (unrelated to the vax), and I finally recovered (i.e. stopped coughing) about April. Yes, April. I hacked for that long.

And it was the worst illness I've ever had in my life.

That's all I'll say on it.
Yuck!!! My son had his vax on it but it can wear off after so many years (something I didn't know until his recent visit) but it was scary when the doctor started suspecting that might have been what he had. He had to have a chest x-ray, a lab test on his nasal secretions and then they gave him an antibiotic, steroid and cough suppressant (so he could sleep at night). Since it has went away and did not linger I think it's safe to say that was not what he had but when I started researching deeper into it I read so many horrible things about it like babies/children and adults losing oxygen and passing out, breaking ribs from coughing so hard, vomiting from coughing so hard, seizures etc .On top off that it lasts for months upon months. It can also cause death in infants b/c their bodies can't handle it.

We both had a virus last year w/a cough that lasted about 3 weeks and it was so tiring. I can't imagine coughing from Dec-April!
Jacob (10) Matthew (7) Paige (5)
& Liliana (0)

Liliana Eve 1/14/13 ~ 8lbs 2oz and 19"

December 11th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Ya I had some episodes of near passing out and almost every morning I came close to vomiting from the 30-60 minute attacks. Repeat that 6-8 times a day. No fun. And that wasn't even the "real thing"...

December 12th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikki. View Post
we do delayed, only one vaccine at a time....this means going to the doctors a little more than usual but it works for us and i don't want him getting different vaccines in his body at one time...they are just too little for that in my opinion.
This is one of the things I was thinking about. And, like introducing new foods one at a time to see if there's a reaction, it makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzlebaby27 View Post
And it is harder and harder to make an informed decision because you can type anything into google and get opinions and information for and against pretty much anything.
Agreed! That's one of the reasons I asked here, since I wanted to see if there were any resources that were already, well, "vetted." I'll pick up the Dr. Sears book and go from there, seems like a good place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpeanut View Post
I got a mild form of it called parapertussis last year.
Parapertussis is no "mild" thing! I know two people who've broken ribs coughing with that! Glad you're better!

Thanks for weighing in, everybody, this is really helpful. I am also pro-vaccine, but judiciously, and not all at once. That 1980/2012 list is part of the reason! Like flu and varicella, I know that flu and chicken pox can be dangerous, and are much more severe now than when we were kids, but a flu shot every year seems potentially harmful, too.

On this note, I learned yesterday that giving a child tylenol before vaccinating (in an effort to reduce swelling/fever) can interfere with the effectiveness of the vaccine, up to 50%. So it's better to deal with the fever than to try and prevent it.

When it comes to a pediatrician, what I really need is someone who will offer the benefits and risks, and include me as an active participant in my child's health. Now... back to work on that!
December 12th, 2012, 07:14 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_tops View Post

When it comes to a pediatrician, what I really need is someone who will offer the benefits and risks, and include me as an active participant in my child's health. Now... back to work on that!
I think it's wise of you to do your research. Honestly setting up an apt to go in and meet with a potential practice is a good idea. I sort of felt weird about the vaccination schedule as well. I am definitely pro-vaccination, but sometimes it seems like there are so many! Too many! My pediatrician really laid out how they choose vaccines and that they look at data and the APA's guidelines to make their decisions. Also, they don't force you to do a vaccination you don't want.

In terms of chicken pox, that's actually one I got when I was 9 because I hadn't gotten the chicken pox yet and it can be TERRIBLE later in life. My mom had it in her 20's and it landed her in the hospital. I don't know if I would vaccinate my child until they reached a certain age, but luckily my pediatrician is willing to listen and talk through my feelings on certain vaccinations. Also, I don't think I ever got a flu shot and was fine. It's those big ones like Polio, Hep B, that I think are really important to get.

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search