Stripping Membranes?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone planning on doing this? Any BTDT moms had it done in the past? Did it work or was it a waste of time?

Had my 36 week appt yesterday and I explained my predicament with having litlle to no help after the baby is born if she is born after January 1st. She agreed that, even though I tend to handle labor pretty well and heal up very quickly, I need help for at least a few days after the baby is born. I asked about things that might help get my body ready a little earlier for labor. Obviously, I don't want her to come before she is ready, but with my other girls I have gone several days past my due date.

My midwife said she could strip my membranes at 39 weeks if I wanted. I've never had that done before. Of course, that may or may not do anything to trigger labor, but she said if my body is close, it might get things started.

I am torn. I would love to have her here in Decemeber so I can have DH home with me for a least a little while, but I hate to try to speed things up for my own convenience. I've never done anything to try to speed up the process before because I love idea of the girls coming when they are ready and "choosing their own birthday." I feel bad for even considering doing a membrane sweep before my due date.

Any thoughts? WWYD?

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
December 12th, 2012, 10:01 AM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
I'm in the same boat. If I do *something* to get labor going before my due date, and if it works AT ALL, and I can have my baby in December, I wouldn't rule it out. DH and I agree that because of his work being on vacation (without pay) for the last 2 weeks of December, he can't afford to take anymore off. So after January 1st, I'm watching the other 2 in the hospital room at night, it seems. I've given the membrane stripping and other such things a lot of thought. I'm like you. I like the babies choosing their birthdays, and I REALLY don't want them to come before they've cooked. I love that they would have the last week, even, to develop more. But not having anyone else around is making me rethink that a little. :/ I feel guilty for even considering it!

December 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
If I've thinned or dilated any at my appointment after Christmas (I'll either be almost 38wk or almost 39wk when I have another since I'm not sure their schedule for Christmas) I plan to ask him to strip mine.

The way I figure is if my body isn't ready to go it isn't going to work so its worth a try to see You could also start inserting EPO vaginally. Its not going to induce your labor but help your body get ready. I started it vaginally last night and will up my dose at 37wks.
December 12th, 2012, 10:34 AM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
stripping membranes wont kick start labor unless your body ready so dont feel bad considering it. I had my membranes stripped 2x with DS. At 38 weeks: absolutely nothing happened (and i was 4cm, 80% effaced so obviously baby just didnt wanna come) and then at 39 weeks: Water broke the next morning and labor was very quick. I dont feel at all like I made something happen that wouldnt have happened on its own.

December 12th, 2012, 10:35 AM
That's what I figure. My body will only cooperate if it's ready. Still, there's something in me that feels guilty about it all. *sigh* At the same time, part of me thinks that if I could just magically have her out now, I would. Hahahahaha

December 12th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Veteran
I would go for it. Stripping membranes is NOT induction and if baby is not ready will not come anyway. I don't want my baby till January so my doc didn't even check me yesterday at 36 weeks.
THe help would be nice and I'm sure DH would like to meet the little one.

Mom to Ryan (11) and Ashley (4)
Expecting #3 January 9/2013

December 12th, 2012, 10:54 AM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i just made a post and then I started looking this up...then saw this post. I wish there was something I could do to kick start labor....I am in such a rut like you are....I just don't know what to do anymore.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

December 12th, 2012, 11:37 AM
MelibearMom's Avatar Melissa--expecting #4!!
I had mine stripped 3 times with DD and nothing happened. I was mad cause it was SO painful!!!! I was finally induced with her. On the other hand, my ex-SIL had her's stripped and she was in full labor later that day, missing her baby shower!

Hailey Marie 1-29-13 8lbs. 1 oz.
December 12th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Lil_Mama2B's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for posting this question!! I am also considering getting it done at 39 weeks,but felt kind of guilty for thinking it..

my question is will stripping your membranes increase the chance of your water breaking first? I keep hearing its rare for your water to break first but it seems everyone that has their membrane stripped their water breaks.. since I am GBS+ this kinda worries me.

December 12th, 2012, 12:54 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wait...what is this stripping membranes thing about. It sounds terrifying!

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
December 12th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have never had it done before, but would consider having it done if I was around 41 weeks or so. I would rather try this than be induced and my doctor's office won't let anyone go past 42 weeks.

December 12th, 2012, 03:58 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post

I've heard of it, but don't really know what it means/does/is for?

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 12th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Your doctor or nurse or midwife will use a tool to separate the amniotic sac (vaginally) from the uterus. Some women say it's painful, others say they didn't feel the actual separation. It SHOULD release prostaglandin, which can ripen your cervix. Of course, if your body isn't ready, you may experience nothing but spotting and cramping. If you're already on your way to labor, this may speed things up. Many women have to have it done a few times. Some have already dilated and effaced, are maybe having a few irregular contractions, and this spirals them into full labor. In other words, it's not really a guarantee of labor, but it can speed things up if you're already on your way there. And don't assume that any dilation, effacement, or contracting means that you're fully ready!

If you consider it, talk to your doctor or midwife about the odds of it helping in your particular case!

December 12th, 2012, 04:12 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
That sounds yucky!!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Hahahahahaha Agreed! I've never had it done! In the middle of labor with DS1, they wanted to strip the membranes or break my water since it had been so long and I was stalled. I asked to hold off an hour. You have NO idea how excited I was when my water broke on its own. Doing that in the middle of a contraction?! NO FREAKIN' WAY! Hahahahahaha But again, I've never had it done, and if we're getting close to my docs deciding between c-section or not with this one because I'm approaching my EDD, I'm gonna let them do this before they schedule surgery!

December 12th, 2012, 04:18 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
Yikes!!! That's not at all what I pictured it to be...

December 12th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife just uses a finger or two (much like a cervical check) to gently stretch the cervical opening and then sweep around the bag of waters to separate the connective tissues. She said that it releases prostaglandins and oxytocin and that sometimes it will trigger the positive feedback relay to get actual labor started.

She said some people find it really painful and others think it's no big deal.

I know that it doesn't always lead to labor, but like you Jess, it just makes me feel guilty for even considering it for some reason...
rageybug likes this.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
December 12th, 2012, 07:32 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal91011 View Post
Yikes!!! That's not at all what I pictured it to be...
Unrelated but I adore your new siggy
mal91011 likes this.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
December 13th, 2012, 04:55 AM
Host of March '10 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post
December 13th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard it for some ladies an not work for others. If you body is ready it might help. I guess if I were in your situation I would try it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search