Breast Feeding Questions....

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut
  • 1 Post By LovelyMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2012, 05:21 PM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
okay ladies, i have so much running through my mind, I need to ask some questions!

How long did it take for your milk to come in, like really good once you gave birth and started feeding.

When did you start pumping? When did you introduce a bottle to baby?

When were you able to have enough milk supply to be away from baby for about 5 hours and someone else was able to feed the baby with stored milk?

How often do you need to pump...such as being out for 5 hours one evening a week?

thank you! just trying to make up my mind about when to have baby and what choices I need to make. ugh.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

December 12th, 2012, 05:24 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!

I know nothing, so will be curious to read other responses!
Mamayo likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 12th, 2012, 05:26 PM
thank you! i have about a bazillion things running through my head and this will help soo much.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

December 12th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How long did it take for your milk to come in, like really good once you gave birth and started feeding.
It took about 3 days for my milk to come in both times. I have heard it generally is somewhere between 2 and 7 days.

When did you start pumping? When did you introduce a bottle to baby?
I started pumping with both of my previous pregnancies at 2 weeks. I would pump one side while feeding from the other. This allowed me to go back to work with a huge stash already built up at 8 weeks. I didn't give either of my girls a bottle until 6 weeks. I wanted to make sure that bf'ing was well established before introducing it. This was a big mistake both times for me as it was too long. It caused my girls to not want a bottle at all. This time I will introduce it around 2 weeks and she will get 1 a day for the other 6 weeks of my maternity leave. If I had to I would offer one earlier.

When were you able to have enough milk supply to be away from baby for about 5 hours and someone else was able to feed the baby with stored milk? I could have pumped enough the very first day my milk came in to be away for 5 hours. In the beginning you will more than likely have an oversupply of milk that generally starts leveling off between 4 and 6 months. This has just been my experience, but you have the most milk in the beginning and then as the baby matures nature's supply and demand levels it out. To be away 5 hours I would feed the baby right before I left and then have a 3 oz bottle for when gone, then bf'd again right when you get home. You should only need 2 to 3 oz during that short of a break in the beginning. Newborns eat around every 2 to 3 hours and not much at the beginning.

How often do you need to pump...such as being out for 5 hours one evening a week? You need to pump at the same time you would feed the baby if you weren't separated. So in the beginning I would pump once after 2 1/2 hours or so of being away from baby. I have a double electric Medela pump and it took me less than 10 minutes to pump until both breasts were empty. I have heard some women say it takes them up to 30 minutes. I will all depend on how well your body responds to the pump.You will be able to get by with pumping less often as the baby gets older.

December 12th, 2012, 07:51 PM
awesome! thank you sooooo much!!! this is a huge help!

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

December 12th, 2012, 09:05 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Ah, looks like you got all the answers you need!

It took 5 and 8 days for my milk to come in, but the 8 days was because I had no oral stimulation from DS2. He was all pumped milk, and I didn't produce well without the stimulation. I BFed DS1 exclusively, and never gave him a bottle. For 6 months, he had nothing but me. I wish that I had a pump because it would have been nice to get a LITTLE break now and then! I expect this time around to be much like it was with DS1. I'll be "on call" for 6 months. I gave my super-nice pump to my cousin, who never even used it, then sold it, I think. Hmph.

December 13th, 2012, 07:21 AM
LovelyMama's Avatar Veteran
Location: Military Wife ~ living everywhere my hubby is needed :-)
Good questions! I didn't realized it took up to a week for milk to come in...
.Nikki. likes this.
December 13th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think most of the time it comes in around day 3 or 4. The colostrum you produce is very high calorie, very high in protein and very high in antibiodies. It is the perfect food for your baby until your milk comes in.

You will know when your milk comes in. You will get engorged and your breasts will become hard as rocks. I had to pump 3 or 4 times a day just for a minute or two to take the pressure off because they will be really sore in the beginning.

Make sure you get some lanolin cream for your nipples.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search