Seriously?! The nerve of some people...

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By .Nikki.

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2012, 11:59 AM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
I had a WIC appt today, and the WIC waiting room shares a waiting room with the health department... it was FULL.

Anyway, another mom was there with her girls; one alittle older (maybe 4-5) and the other 18 months. I knew the one was 18 months because she's a tiny little thing (like my DD) and someone else asked how old she was...

Anyway, the 18 month old goes over to mom and motions that she wants to nurse. No big deal. So, mom gets her blanket out, and nurses her. Kudos to her. Not only is she BF'ing beyond 1 year, but she's not ashamed to do it in public.

The woman sitting next to me SCOFFS. Not super loud, but loud enough that *I* can hear her. I was really upset. I wish I had the nerve to say things to people, but I just let it go. She's feeding her baby... how is it hurting you? She's fully covered. She's in a WIC waiting room that ENCOURAGES women to BF. Get over yourself. Don't look if it bothers you.

UGH! Ya know, I'm probably going to FF, just because of my history with BF, but I have NOTHING against those moms who chose to BF. I think it's wonderful. If I can't BF, I will at least pump as much as I can for a while, and supplement like I did with DD. I can't say I will pump forever, but at least the first crucial weeks.

It just upsets me that people are so rude over other peoples' choices to do what is healthy and natural.

OK, off my soap box now.

December 13th, 2012, 12:14 PM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would of looked at the breast feeding mom and said "oh wow you are awesome for keeping it up that long...give me some tips" just to make it known it didn't bother me......hehehehe

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

December 13th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh. I hate that! I am very pro-BF, but I would never scoff or belittle a mom that chose something different. What's best for me is not best for everyone.

Seriously, people are so rude!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
December 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Everyone prepare yourselves. You're about to get more unwanted advice and judgment about how you choose to feed or handle your crying baby than you've gotten for everything in your entire life, ever. *sigh*

Our community is very pro-breastfeeding here, to the point that they don't give out the free formula bags at the hospital. Instead, they have various sponsors in the community so that they can give out breastfeeding bags (metal water bottle, snacks, coupons for foods that increase supply, etc.). BUT I haven't ONCE seen anyone here question anyone else's decisions like that. There are moms formula feeding at birth, and there are breastfeeders at 3 years or older. No one here cares. There are more important things to worry about, and people seem to understand that there may be MANY reasons for each person's decision, not just because whatever their choice is may be easier on any level.

Oops. I hit send too early. I appreciate that attitude. Of course, someone would step in for danger, but no one pretends to know anyone else's situation. Or, they don't SHOW it. Hahahahahaha

Being a parent is hard. It's even harder when you feel like you're being watched and judged...even by perfect strangers.

December 13th, 2012, 12:38 PM
.Nikki.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i like the pro-breast feeding bags. you know what i got at my very first doctors appointment when i found out i was prego..........a similac bag. i was honestly upset about it because it even had a little can of formula in it....which i ended up throwing away (i was going to donate it but i forgot it in the hot car) I think at the hospitals they should ask you and have one breast feeding bag and one formula feeding bag and ask you which one you needed.
Lucky Mama likes this.

Visit my blog!
NikkiCraddock.com

December 13th, 2012, 04:04 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Like many others, I have my opinions, and regardless of what they are, I would NEVER choose to judge another persons opinion, no matter if it was aligned with mine or not. I am very pro-BF, and big time kudos to the mom for BF'ing past 1 year (I'm hoping to make it that long!), and for not being ashamed to NIP.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 13th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh no ma'am. With my hormonal self right now, I'd have had to start a big conversation with the nursing mom and STARE at the scoffer.

I nursed until 22 months and I live in the Bible Belt south where everyone has a loud opinions and gossip and judge. I've had to deal with a decent amount of crap from people about breastfeeding and NIP. Most of the opinions were online, facebook opinions...OR from family members. Honestly actually WHILE nursing in public (and I nurse discreetly without a cover) I never really had anyone say anything to me. But I've had several friends that have.

People are so rude!

and introducing Julia Pearl

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search