Thank you Flu season!

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By iamkc
  • 1 Post By marybeth76
  • 1 Post By iamkc

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
So thanks to the wonderful flu season we've had, I noticed the labor/baby floor today at my NST had signs up that said only immediate family is able to vist and no one under the age of 18.
I asked the nurse if that meant sibilings of the baby too and she said yes So that means DS won't get to meet his little brother until we come home from the hospital I know hes not going to know the difference but I really wanted him to come up the day LO is born. She said they can show him to him through the glass into the nursery but that he can't come into the Baby Place floor. I don't really want the first time he's seeing him to be looking through a glass so I think were just going to wait until we come home.

Because I want DS to be the first to see him, we aren't taking any other visitors. We can only have immediate family anyway but they will just have to wait. On the bright side this will be a peaceful hospital stay of just me, DH and baby.

I feel bad though because DS is going to see us dropping him off and then not see us for two days and that will be when my parents bring him home and theres all the sudden a new baby here. I feel like if he got to see him at the hospital with us before he came home and seen him there too that that would be better but i'm probably just overreacting and hes not going to care. I feel like i'm being mean by dropping him off and not seeing him for two days then when I do see him theres someone else in my life
December 13th, 2012, 12:33 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Oh, I didn't even think of this. We have nowhere to drop off our kids. Does that mean DH will have to stay out, too? Sorry. You just brought up a really good point about this time of year. This would never have crossed my mind.

I'm sorry. BUT I'm sure that the person you leave him with will keep him entertained and occupied SO well for 2 days that he won't have time to think too hard about it. It will definitely affect you more than it affects him at that age. But I know that it's hard on you. You picture a moment in your life going a certain way, and something as big as this, if altered, can seem somehow "less".

Is there ANY chance that you can sneak him in? I mean, if he wears a mask, uses sanitizer, etc.?
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

December 13th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
I'm not sure if every hospital is doing it. I just know we've had a ton of flu around so they don't want the new babies getting it, which is good that they are doing that.

She said sibilings can't because of daycare or being in school and I said what if they aren't in daycare and she said it didn't matter because if they allowed that then everyone would be saying their kid isn't in daycare I will def ask again when were up there after hes born though.

Yea i'm sure it'll affect me alot worse but I can't help but feel like he'll be thinking "mommy left me and I show back up at my house with a baby invading my space" which I highly doubt he'll be thinking any of that at all LOL
December 13th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh no!! I didn't even think about this. I need to see if this will be the case here, too.

December 13th, 2012, 01:08 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
But it's still worrisome for you, of course. You know, DS2 practically lived at Children's for his first couple of years. With our situation, we couldn't leave DS1 with anyone, really, and someone had to be with DS2 all the time. There was going to be overlap of parents and kids. They had the nursing staff "approve" every kid, do questionnaires, fever checks, etc. Then, they still wore masks and used hand sanitizer. It's not 100%, but who's to say that the nurses who seem perfectly healthy aren't also dragging in the flu and other viruses? DS1 was allowed to go straight into our room without stopping, then back to the elevator when he was finished visiting. I wonder if they could implement some program like that. What if, like us, you have nowhere to leave your kids? They want fathers/SOs there for help, support, learning, and whatever else, so I would think that they would want to figure out SOMETHING.

Ugh. Sorry. I know both sides of this, and it's just so frustrating. Like you said, he won't even be thinking about the things that you're worried about, but YOU can't help it! My parents left me with my grandparents when my brother was born. I was 20 months old. When they brought him home, I was SOOOOO excited! I thought that they had basically brought back the best toy ever! Maybe he'll think the same.

December 13th, 2012, 04:08 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
While this is sad that DS can't meet the LO right away, at least look at the bright side. It's honestly being safer for everyone, and you will most certainly have a peaceful hospital stay?

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search