Question for BTDT Mamas!

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2012, 09:39 AM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So as most of you may know already from me posting on here so darn much, my hubby works far away from home for 2 weeks at a time and the whole him not being home when I go into labor has been freaking me out!

My question for you guys is, Do you get some sort of warning before your body goes into labor?? Or do you feel fine on, lets say, monday, and then wake up Tuesday and BAM your having contractions and need to go to the hospital asap. Like I dont know if there are warning signs so I can be like, hey hubby, this is going to happen any day now so keep your work bags packed and your phone on hand and be ready to leave on the drop of a dime (he is about 10 hours away from home)

??? Help!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
December 17th, 2012, 09:56 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well if you're a FTM with no complications, baby is head down and everything, I've always heard that there are many signs of labor and most women go to L&D and end up getting sent home because they came too soon. The hard thing is everyone is so different. Your water may break or it may not. You may feel strong contractions in your belly or you may just have period cramps or back pain. Either way though, for a FTM, I'm pretty sure it takes hours and hours before you actually give birth even if your water breaks.

Try this link and also check out "Week 40" on this same site: What Really Happens During Labor

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

December 17th, 2012, 10:00 AM
BlackDahlia's Avatar Member
Exactly, it really depends and even when its not your first time, each pregnancy is always different, I've got 6 kids this time makes 7 and with each of them it always started differently, this time for myself I can tell it will be soon just because of lots of small things like how far down the baby is, al the pressure and braxton hicks etc, to each their own basically, my sister for example went into a regular checkup and the Dr. accidentally broke her water while checking her lol.

December 17th, 2012, 10:04 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
With my 1st pregnancy my water did not break. I was 3 days late and at every weekly appointment I was not dilated at all. I started having contractions and went to the hospital when they were 5 minutes apart. They examined me and i was 3 cm dilated. This was a Tuesday and I was at the dr on that past Thursday. So from Thursday to Tuesday I started to dilate to 3 cm. Since I was dilating and contracting and 3 days late they broke my water and then labor slowly progressed. I was in labor was 13.5 hours and pushed for 2.5 hours. However, everyone's situation is very different so it is really hard to say.........

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
December 17th, 2012, 10:09 AM
BlackDahlia's Avatar Member
Wow, I cant imagine having to push that long, I guess I was lucky and none of my kids I had to push for more than 30 min, heck, with one of my daughters I literally pushed once and she came out haha. *crosses fingers in hopes that im not jinxing myself here*

December 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Yep, other ladies are right. While I'm a FTM as well, I have heard from MANY other mommies that your best bet is to follow the 5-1-1- rule. Contractions 5 min apart, 1 min long, for 1 hour - before going to the hospital. Keep track of them when they start, and when they get longer, stronger, more intense, that's when you are gearing up.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 17th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Veteran
For me personally I had no signs. Sorry wish I could give you a better answer!

Mom to Ryan (11) and Ashley (4)
Expecting #3 January 9/2013

December 17th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only sign I had was diahrrea the evening before and then about 10pm the night before my back started hurting REALLY bad like I was on my period but I thought it was from cleaning. Woke up at 3am with STRONG contractions.

My labor from the time I woke up to contractions to being 10cm was only about 9hrs long.

December 17th, 2012, 01:39 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unfortunately, the answer is some FTM's have lots of signs of impending labor, some have none(I had none). Some have long labors (mine was 33.25 hours), and some are very very short. He should probably just be ready anytime between now and the day the baby decides to come!

December 17th, 2012, 05:06 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It really varies (unfortunately there is no uniform answer). With DS I felt crappy the night before, like i was coming down with a bug. the next morning my water started leaking and contractions were immediately INTENSE and DS was born 3hrs later. Hopefully you have a little more time so your DH can make it!!!

December 17th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Super Mommy
Like pp have said, it really varies. If you have a bloody show that's a sign that things will probably start within about 48 hours... I've had my kiddos within 24 hours of a show for the ones I had it with.

With my first four I knew things were starting by having crampy braxton-hicks (like period cramps basically) that were regular and built up across the day from when I woke up. I've had all my babies at night or early the next morning after laboring all night.

With my last one I had no idea until that evening and from me telling DH "maybe something is happening" to having her in my arms was less than 5 hours. But she was my 5th, and even with my 4th I knew when I woke up around 5am that he was coming and he didn't arrive until about 11:45pm. Most of the day was little niggly regular Braxton-hicks but I knew they were "different" enough that active labor was coming (kicked in around 8pm).

I worry about my DH making it too, he's working about 30 minutes away and if I get little warning like I did with #5 I worry... but with the first four I had plenty of warning.

If I were in your situation w/ DH 10 hours away I would call if you start to feel crampy, regular Braxton-hicks even if it might be a false alarm.
December 17th, 2012, 06:16 PM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the help ladies!!! It seems like its a toss up on whether or not i will have a warning sign....i guess i got to just hope for the best!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search