Going by middle name?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2012, 08:39 AM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
So, I know there are people who go by their middle names, or call children by middle names... what is the reasoning? I know some adults choose to do it for various reasons, but why call a child by a middle name? I'm just curious.

We've been inkling with the name Lauryn Mackenzy. DF likes it, I'm not sold (I posted about this before). ANyway. MIL says "and I can call her Kenzy." I like the nn Kenzy. I prefer Kenzy over Lauryn actually.

BUT. If I'm going to call her Kenzy, shouldn't I just name her Mackenzy to begin with? Instead of going by a middle name. Mackenzie is very popular right now... not my thing to go with a highly popular name.

I'm just trying to understand, not judging. Just wondering if there's insight I can't see.

December 18th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Hokie Nicole's Avatar Super Mommy
Speaking as someone who goes by their middle name, I would totally support the idea of just switching the 2 names so she goes by her first name. My parents named me Cathi Nicole because they thought it sounded better than Nicole Cathi. I agree with that part - but they planned to call me Nicole regardless. It has been a thorn in my side my whole life. Every class I ever took - I have to tell them I go by Nicole. Every doctor, every piece of paperwork, email addresses and badges for work are always wrong, but at least you know when telemarketers are calling

But seriously, can't stress enough how much easier it is just to be called by your given first name!
December 18th, 2012, 09:03 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I think it usually has to do with the way it sounds, or perhaps if there is a special reason why a name needs to be a first name (or middle name) - like family reasons or something (i.e. if you wanted to keep a running line of boys named the same as their Great Grandfather, Grandfather, and Father...but maybe you don't care much for the actual name, but don't want to break the streak?)

But, if you like a middle name better, just swap it for sure!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 18th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I think I would swap it. I love the name! I'm not sure why someone would use the middle name other than personal preference.

December 18th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My little brother is named Bennett McLean (sounds like Mah-Clayne). He goes by Mac. Bennett is a family name that goes back generations and all the"Bennetts" go by their middle names. Mac didn't even know his name was Bennett until he was 5 or 6.

I think if you like Kenzy better, you can absolutely use Mackenzie for her first name. It's totally personal preference, so I say go with your gut!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
December 18th, 2012, 09:53 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Mama View Post
My little brother is named Bennett McLean (sounds like Mah-Clayne).
Um, I the name Bennett
Lucky Mama likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
December 18th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
If we end up using Reese as the name for this LO we will be putting it as the middle name but calling him that. The reason being is because we can't find a middle name that goes good with Reese but Reese sounds good as a middle name with just about anything

Oh another reason why we'll do Reese as MN is because if say he was to work somewhere when he grows up thats really professional, Reese really isn't so he could choose to go by his first name if he wanted.
December 18th, 2012, 11:49 AM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
My niece was named by her parents knowing that she would be called by her middle name. Their reasoning was that if they used her first name as the middle name, the middle and last name would sound SO similar that it didn't sound right. No one had the heart to tell them that she would be called those 2 names ALL the time, and would always have to correct to the middle name, anyway.

I think that it's up to you. You're the parents. But for the record, Lauryn Mackenzy or the other way around both sound good to me!

December 18th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie Nicole View Post
Speaking as someone who goes by their middle name, I would totally support the idea of just switching the 2 names so she goes by her first name. My parents named me Cathi Nicole because they thought it sounded better than Nicole Cathi. I agree with that part - but they planned to call me Nicole regardless. It has been a thorn in my side my whole life. Every class I ever took - I have to tell them I go by Nicole. Every doctor, every piece of paperwork, email addresses and badges for work are always wrong, but at least you know when telemarketers are calling

But seriously, can't stress enough how much easier it is just to be called by your given first name!
My hubby feels the exact same way -- he goes by his middle name and says it has been so annoying his entire life. He dislikes his first name and HATES it has to be on anything "official" - he signs almost everything with his first initial then his middle name. He says it's a good thing he's married since I field most calls/letters asking for "Victor" and can let whomever is calling (dr's offices, insurance agents, etc) know that they should call him by his middle name. He used to snap at all those people when he took the calls himself

I would say that you give her the first name you want to call her

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search