Pre-e?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
Anyone else have this or had it with previous pregnancies?

I don't know if I truly have it yet, but I think we're getting there...

Wed, my OB sent me to L&D for monitoring. Thumper hadn't moved much (but of course went crazy after being in L&D for an hour) and I had very sudden onset of swelling of my feet & ankles. When I got there, my BP was 140/70. They checked it again later and it had come down to 119/70 with rest. So, they sent me home.

I had my appt with my OB the next day and after my NST my BP was 140/82.

I have been checking it at home and my BP has consistently been running 130-140/70-90. Every once in a while I get it down to 118-120.

They haven't checked my urine, which surprises me. There was no protein in it at the beginning of Dec when I went in and had it checked on L&D, but I would think this could have changed.

My OB just wants to keep an eye on it at this point. My cardiologist put me on a BP med a few weeks ago to try and get my heart rate down (pregnancy induced tachycardia) but I never started it. (It was optional, but I wasn't comfortable with the class or possible side effects) I've now started it because I fear my BP getting too high, and I really don't want to end up in the hospital over Christmas. The swelling stays down as long as I rest and keep my feet up.

I'm just confused... is it normal to "just watch it" at this point? I see him again next Friday. When is too high? SHould I go to L&D if it gets to a certain point... he didn't really say. He DID say it would probably continue to get worse, but still wants to try to make it to 38 or 39 weeks. I'm afraid of placental abruption (pre-e can cause this) if we wait this long....

I just have no idea on any of this. I had extreme swelling toward the end with DD, but was never told I had pre-e. Any suggestions?

December 22nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I had it last time and have had symptoms this time. It came very suddenly the first time and I was basically sent to the hospital at my first visit for it. I was induced at 36 wks. I didn't know anything about it or what to even ask the first time so I don't know details. I just know I became swollen very suddenly, my BP was high and I had significant protein in my urine.

I started having the protein around 24 weeks this time. Anything over 150mg is abnormal and anything over 300 is significant. Mine has been anywhere from 280 to 500 the last several weeks. That's the reason I've been seeing the high risk dr. She's told me that it would have to be 3000 for them to admit and deliver. I've been taking high amounts of vitamin D because its suppose to help. Bed rest is what will keep your BP and your protein down. The protein is a result of your kidneys malfunctioning. They are suppose to filter the protein but when it spills not your urine, they know something is wrong. Pre-E can cause problems with your blood vessels and in worst case scenarios can cause seizures and blindness. My dr always says if you have a headache that won't go away with Tylenol to call and let them know. You can get protein in your urine when you have an infection of some kind so it doesn't always mean Pre-E. If you do a urine specimen when you go to your dr, they probably do a little dipstick test to check for protein. It will either be negative, show a trace amount or it can be like +1 + 2, +3 ....I think. So maybe yours was negative or only showed a trace amt? If it was more, they would probably have you do a 24 hr urine.

If you are hospitalized and induced for Pre-E, they will put you on an IV of magnesium. It's the only way to keep your BP down and protect you during labor but it can make you feel very sick even the next day. I couldn't take care of or breastfeed my DS the first day. I didn't really even realize it at the time though.

Are you working or are you able to rest? My high risk dr said laying down helps the most. Being up puts pressure on your kidneys and blood vessels so you would have more protein and higher BPs. Mine has gone up and down, up and down depending on my activity. Since I've been in the hospital and on bed rest everything has gotten better. I've still got some normal pregnancy swelling but my feet look almost normal now.

When's your next appt? If you start feeling really bad or have very sudden weight gain from swelling then you need to call and be seen earlier.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

December 22nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
RobynL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had symptoms of pre- e my last pregnancy and again starting last week. My dr. Immediately sent me to antebellum testing next door at the hospital where I now get non stress tests twice a week. My bp has always been a little high. 130's /70's-80's. my bp last week was 142/89 and I was having headaches ( another symptom of pre e) also I have +1 swelling which is minor but noticeable. The dr checks my urine protein every appt ( I'm surprised yours hasn't) and as long as I don't have urine in my protein, no Epi gastric pain ( top right side under breast) and I don't get headaches/ dizzy/ seeing spots then they said that I am ok. But if any of those signs appear I need to go to labor and delivery immeditely. I would say high bp is only one factor of pre- eclampsia. My dr. Said anything over 140/90 is considered high so they may have been monitoring you because you were border line high? You also should ask them to check your urine protein every visit. I'm really surprised they don't, I thought that was standard for all pregnancies not only those with symptoms of pre e. also my nurse said if you ever feel just bad. You can't describe it but you don't feel right, to call. That could also be a sign of pre e. I hope this helps, and good Luck. Kup!

Thanks Vicki for my always awesome siggy!
December 22nd, 2012, 10:56 AM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
:-( praying that its nothing. I'm glad you started your eds. Sometimes, even though it's scary, the benefits outweigh the risks with certain meds. Try to stay off your feet the best you can. I know it's hard...I'm having to do the same thing!

December 22nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaginger View Post
Are you working or are you able to rest? My high risk dr said laying down helps the most. Being up puts pressure on your kidneys and blood vessels so you would have more protein and higher BPs. Mine has gone up and down, up and down depending on my activity. Since I've been in the hospital and on bed rest everything has gotten better. I've still got some normal pregnancy swelling but my feet look almost normal now.

When's your next appt? If you start feeling really bad or have very sudden weight gain from swelling then you need to call and be seen earlier.
I had a headache yesterday, but my BP didn't seem high enough to cause it. I ate and layed down, and it seemed better. I'm done working until after baby... I was put on modified bed rest at 30 weeks for preterm contractions, so I'm resting as much as possible... of course there are some things I have to do, but I really try to rest.

I see him again on the 28th for my next (weekly) NST and appt with him. Last week I was up 8 lbs from the week before due to swelling. Not fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynL View Post
The dr checks my urine protein every appt ( I'm surprised yours hasn't) and as long as I don't have urine in my protein, no Epi gastric pain ( top right side under breast) and I don't get headaches/ dizzy/ seeing spots then they said that I am ok. But if any of those signs appear I need to go to labor and delivery immeditely. I would say high bp is only one factor of pre- eclampsia. My dr. Said anything over 140/90 is considered high so they may have been monitoring you because you were border line high? You also should ask them to check your urine protein every visit. I'm really surprised they don't, I thought that was standard for all pregnancies not only those with symptoms of pre e. also my nurse said if you ever feel just bad. You can't describe it but you don't feel right, to call. That could also be a sign of pre e. I hope this helps, and good Luck. Kup!
I'm really surprised they don't heck my urine too. They have never checked it (except for one time when I thought I had a UTI). I thought it was pretty strange. I did tell him I have pain in my Right upper abdomen under my ribs but he thinks it's a ligament. I also had that pain prior t pregnancy (they think it's my gallbladder, but I have to wait until after birth for the test I need) plus her head or but is jabbed up there... so it's not really new for me.

I had some blood work done on Thursday, but I don't think they're done yet... it's strange because the tests they did are very fast turn around tests (I work in a dr's office, and it takes hardly any time to get those back from the place I had it done...) so I hope the hospital didn't screw something up. Maybe I'll need a re-draw.

Anyway, I'm checking my BP throughout the day. And resting as much as I can, and drinking a bunch of water. The swelling definitely goes up with the more activity I do. If it gets too bad, or I feel worse, I'll go to L&D. I would just like to avoid that until after Christmas.

The BP med / med for rapid heartbeat scares me... but I guess it's better than having my BP skyrocket.

I'm also really trying to watch my sodium, as I know that affects BP in general... I'll just have to see what happens I guess. 25 more days at the most.

December 23rd, 2012, 11:08 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow I hope the dr gets on the ball at this next appt. you sound worse than me! I'm glad your DF put you in the bed!

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search