Silent Reflux **2nd UPDATE OP after seeing Dr/ 1 mo. ck up**

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaddlestar View Post

Anyhow the biggest issue with the AR was how much it constipated him..it was so painful to watch him try and go. Now that we've switched, he has emptied all that backlog out...and then some. Now he won't stop pooping! And it's starting to make his poor bum raw. I'm wondering if we could thicken the Nutramigen to make it a bit more balanced. I'll have to ask the pedi.

Sigh...this is just one thing after another
We were told to thicken the Nutramigen. Per 3 ounces of formula we put in 15 CC/ML of rice cereal. At night we use 20ml per 3 ounces bc hhis suck/swallow/breathe gets worse as the day goes on.

Now he also has some craniofacial issues and bad latch. But I know they thicken for reflux.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
February 10th, 2013, 12:21 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysc2 View Post
I don't have any advice on the Nutramigin and how well it mixes and warms but I do have advice on the Dr. Brown's bottles and how I mix and heat the formula. Ok, well first I never shlae my bottles. I don't do this for 2 reasons...1.) shaking the bottles cause bubbles and because my baby gets gas sometimes I don't want to further add to it. 2.) The Dr. Brown's bottles has a venting system with a long straw that goes down the center of the bottle. If you shake the bottle clumps of formula get get caught or stuck in the straw and that isn't good. This is what I do:

I purchased the Dr. Brown's formula mixing pitcher and let me tell you...it is A-MAZING!! It really is, def worth the money to get one and they are only like $14.00. I got mine at BRU. I pre-mix the formula for the entire day. So, for example Sophia eats about 28 ounces a day (24 hours) so I pur the water to the 28 ounce mark and then add the correct amount of powered scoops of formula and put the lid on the pitcher and all you do is pump the handle up and down for a few minutes....1 or 2 and then the formula is mixed...I always open the lid when I am done just to be sure the clumps are dissolved. Also, don't pump the handle too hard or above the water level. When the formula is ready you will see bubbles in the pitcher, once the formula hits the air the bubbles dissolve so you can pout into your bottle right away if your baby is ready to eat. I pre-make the bottles and put in the fridge and when she is ready to eat I just run the bottle under hot water for about 2 minutes so the bottle is just above room temp, of course you can keep it under the water shorter or longer too. I don't put the venting system in the bottles until I warmed them up because the pressure from the warming and venting system cause cause pressure on the nipple which could cause air. So after I warm the bottle I place the 2 pieces of the venting system (insert and straw) and then feed. It may sound like a lot of work but it really isn't....

This is just what I do with the dr browns bottles........just wanted to share!!

The dr will prob give you Zantac and it has worked wonders so far for Sophia!!! I am so sorry that she is not doing well but my dr always tells me thats you have to give a full week for a new formula to see if it works.......Zantac tastes yucky, it tastes like peppermint and she cried when we give it to her but I think she is getting used to it. I know the pharmacies can flavor them so I am def going to ask my dr on Thursday if we can do that for newborns.....good luck!
I've heard great things about the Dr. Brown's pitcher as well. Now that we're back to using the Similac Sensitive for now, I just mix it up in it's own separate container before hand, and all the bubbles float to the top and by the time I pour it, they don't really get in the bottle. I just head it up in a little glass that has oz measurements on it. I also have a blender ball container and that works well for formula mixing as well.

Quote:
I'm so sorry she didn't do well on it. If she reacted that way to it I would definitely wait and see what the pedi says. It may be that she needs something different or it needs to be combined with the Zantac. Or maybe she has an allergy that needs a soy formula. I hope you can get some answers tomorrow.

We're doing well here as far as contentment goes except we've developed a new little issue. With the previous formula (Enfamil AR) he was doing great as far as the actual feeding went. It is a thicker formula and he seemed to be able to eat it smoother & easier without a lot of choking or swallowing issues. The Nutramigen is thinner and so he does choke sometimes and has spit up once or twice. But we're managing that.

Anyhow the biggest issue with the AR was how much it constipated him..it was so painful to watch him try and go. Now that we've switched, he has emptied all that backlog out...and then some. Now he won't stop pooping! And it's starting to make his poor bum raw. I'm wondering if we could thicken the Nutramigen to make it a bit more balanced. I'll have to ask the pedi.

Sigh...this is just one thing after another
The next step was definitely going to be asking about Soy. But, I'm hoping she will just give us a trial of Zantac. Now that we're using Dr. Brown's bottles, she seems to be burping much more effectively, which helps with the fighting of the bottle. (When she starts to get really fidgity and spit and fight the bottle, I can usually tell that's when she needs a burp) I notice it's still very hard for her to burp when all our Dr. Brown's are dirty and I have to use a Playtex Nurser for that feeding. Hopefully that's not just coincidental, but I've had a hard time burping her both times we used the nurser and just fine with Dr. Brown's.

I've heard that about both the Nutramigen and Enfamil AR. A lot of people say the Nutramigen causes runny poops and the AR constipates. Try using some PINXAV on him. It's a diaper rash cream sort of like Desitin. Around here, you have to ask for it at the pharmacy, but it's still an over the counter product. It worked wonders on Lauryn's little bottom. The Similac Advance gave her diarrhea, and her little butt was so sore, it had 2 open little sores on it that would bleed. The PINXAV was suggested to me and it did the trick. Up until that point I had tried the Max strength Desitin with no relief.

I have also heard of people thickening the Nutramigen with rice cereal. Some sources say 1 tsp per bottle, some say 1 tsp per oz. Definitely worth asking the pedi.

This sure is a long, stressful process, isn't it? Here's hoping we all have the proper combo of things for our babies soon.

February 11th, 2013, 01:43 AM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
I'm pretty sure max has reflux. He doesn't really spit up much, but he is so congested, always has the hiccups, is so hard to burp, and a host of other things. It's gotten so bad over the past few days my poor little guy is miserable. I'm calling the doctor this morning.

February 11th, 2013, 08:15 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Quote:
We have silent reflux here too and have had the same symptoms you listed. We've been thru 3 different types of formula already and Zantac. But Elijah has been on Nutrimagin for 2 days now and we are already seeing a huge difference! He just seems so much more content and the only time he's really been crying is when he's hungry or when he was over-stimulated. We had to use it for DD too and it was a lifesaver with her.

The cost is pretty high for us so we're going to have both of our parents sign up for the Enfamil club so we can get some more checks in the mail. Some insurance covers it, but unfortunately not ours.

Good luck with Lauren if you decide to use it. Keep us updated on how she does!
Is Eli also on the Zantac in addition to the Nutrimagin? I know you were on the fence about that....

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
February 11th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Updated in OP after seeing the Dr. today.

February 11th, 2013, 05:15 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysc2 View Post
Is Eli also on the Zantac in addition to the Nutrimagin? I know you were on the fence about that....
No. We just wanted to try the Nutramigen on it's own. We're going back to the pedi on Wednesday and I've got a whole batch of new questions for her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyenchanted View Post

If her reflux gets worse, I will try adding some Similac for spit up which is like the Enfamil AR (which I didn't even know Similac made until Kelsy mentioned it in another thread) to her current Similac sensitive. I don't want to change her formula completely, but I can always try adding a little in when I mix up a batch to see if it helps any if I decide I need to do that. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point though.
Did they suggest this? I was wondering about mixing the Nutramigen with the AR. I don't know if that would help or if I'm just nuts (it would be twice as expensive buying two formulas.

February 11th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Quote:
No. We just wanted to try the Nutramigen on it's own. We're going back to the pedi on Wednesday and I've got a whole batch of new questions for her!

Did they suggest this? I was wondering about mixing the Nutramigen with the AR. I don't know if that would help or if I'm just nuts (it would be twice as expensive buying two formulas.
No... but I know the AR is used a lot for reflux since it's thicker and "heavier". It's just something that I will do on my own since she handles Similac formula (sensitive). I figure doing a 1:3 ratio of AR:Sensitive can't hurt. If it works, great. If not, at least I didn't do the whole switching out thing with no luck again. That's if we even get to that point. I keep hoping things will just start to get better. At certain points of the day it seems like what I'm doing is helping, and others not so much.

So, in your case, I don't think mixing the 2 would hurt... you could try it anyway and see if it helps. It may seem like it would be more expensive, but it should only cost more initially, because you would be buying less of one since you'd be buying a second. Plus the AR is far less expensive.

February 12th, 2013, 04:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The AR is thickened with rice ceral. You could thicken the Nutramigen. We do 15ml of cereal per 3 ounces or formula.

Mykelti James 01.21.13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search