Silent Reflux **2nd UPDATE OP after seeing Dr/ 1 mo. ck up**

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2013, 03:04 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
I know someone on here said their baby has it, but I don't remember who?

After looking at all the symptoms, I'm pretty sure this is the reason we're having so many issues, especially with feeding.

What symptoms did your baby show?

Are you BF or FF? If FF, what formula are you finding helps?

How else do you manage it?

We have a Dr. appt Monday and I will ask her about it then. I printed off the list of symptoms and highlighted all the ones she has (a lot). I will also see about getting her into a peds GI.

Update:

I'm at my wit's end... the fussiness has been going on for over a week now, and I didn't put all the symptoms together until last night at about 5:00 after the Dr's office was closed. I feel like as a mom I should have noticed this sooner so she wasn't suffering.

All of her symptoms are:
- wet sounding burps
- frequent hiccups / sneezing -- CONSTANT
- sudden burst of painful crying – especially during feeding
- poor sleeping habits
- poor feeding habits, -- sometimes eats 1 oz, sometimes 4 oz. Sometimes wants to eat every hour, sometimes 3-4. Depends on how bad she is feeling.
- neck or back arching during feeding
- excessive fussiness,
- demands to be carried constantly
- Refusing food or accepting only a few bites despite being hungry. Or the Exact opposite. (Comfort eating and really eager for a bottle) -- sometimes she will eat 1 oz and want to eat again within the hour.
- Requiring constant small meals or Liquid (comfort feeding)
- sinus congestion. -- CONSTANT
- Neck/ back arching or rigid or unusual body posturing. ( sandifer Syndrome)
- VERY difficult to burp. – I can rarely get her to burp. During the feeds where I CAN get her to burp, she seems slightly better.
- choking and gagging at the bottle
- Sometimes you may hear the baby, or see them swallow repeatedly and see no evidence of it. – this started IN THE HOSPITAL. A nurse was in the room and noticed it, asked if she could see her because she thought she had something in her throat, patted her back, and since it only lasted about 30 seconds, didn’t say anything else. I told her it had been going on since day 1. I really wish someone would have mentioned something to the doctor then.
- Your baby may suddenly start crying while feeding
- loud breathing – again since day 1. I asked numerous doctors and nurses about it in the hospital, but they only told me that they would keep an eye on it; that if she turned blue or was having trouble breathing to call right away (no kidding).
- loud squeaks / inhalations during sleep (sort of like a croaking)

I'm getting ready to run out and buy a can of Nutramigen. Hopefully we see a difference by Monday when we take her to her appt. Even with the coupons I have it's going to cost at least $20 for the small can, but I'll pay it if it works for my poor baby. We've already been on Similac Advance and Similac Sensitive, which we're using now. If the Dr. Monday can't help us, I guess the next step is peds GI and an allergist.

I'm also going to buy a small pack of the Dr. Brown's bottles. I didn't want to use them because of all the stupid parts, but I will try anything if it helps her. I have a TON of the Playtex nurser bottles now because it seemed like she was doing just fine on them for the first 2 1/2 weeks. Maybe if she outgrows the reflux later, we can use them then.

I'm also going to buy a Moby wrap... she does better when we're holding her all the time, so maybe she'll like to be worn.

We're also using gas drops with every feed because she seems so gassy and won't ever burp.

I hope we get this figured out... I'm just so afraid she's going to gag in her sleep or something, even though she hardly spits up.

Gah, I feel like I'm going crazy...

2nd: Update:

We saw the dr. today. She thinks Lauryn is doing fine. I talked to her about the reflux and she doesn't think it's bad enough to do any meds at this point. She said to keep her elevated during feedings which I have been doing, keep her up for a bit after eating, which I also do, and eventually she will grow out of it. She said that since she isn't really spitting up and she's gaining weight nicely that she doesn't want to introduce meds into her system yet. Also, changing her bottles to the Dr. Brown's and giving her gas drops seems to be a good combo for her. She can get her burps out MUCH more effectively and this seems to make a world of difference.

I did tell her about the very short lived switch to Nutramigen and how it affected her with only 2 feedings, and she said to just stay on the sensitive. She said as the sphincter at the top of the stomach continues to mature things will get better.

Also, for the mommies who are worried about congestion... she said that at about 1 month old, the mucus membranes start working, so that's why babies get so stuffy. This happens to coincide with when a lot of reflux shows up, so I thought it was from the reflux, but turns out it's very normal. She said that in a month or two that will clear up too. Just continue with the saline and nasal suction.

So at 1 month, she is 10 lb 10 oz. This is a gain of 10 oz from 2 weeks ago. And she is now 22 1/4 inches which is 1 inch longer than birth. She's growing for sure!

If her reflux gets worse, I will try adding some Similac for spit up which is like the Enfamil AR (which I didn't even know Similac made until Kelsy mentioned it in another thread) to her current Similac sensitive. I don't want to change her formula completely, but I can always try adding a little in when I mix up a batch to see if it helps any if I decide I need to do that. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point though.

Last edited by lovelyenchanted; February 11th, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
February 8th, 2013, 08:07 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
That would be Sophia! I have posted on here that Sophia has Silent Acid Reflux.

It all started when she was gagging/coughing at the bottle. The dr thought it could be reflux so he switched her to Similac Alimentum. We think he jumped the gun by going straight to that formula which is super expensive and for super sensitive stomachs but we stayed on it for a weekend and she was still gagging at the bottle. We went back to out orignal formula which is Enfamil Newborn. Over the course of a few more days she started to experience the folowing symptoms:

gurgling while feeding

excessive hiccups

couging

coughing/gagging at the bottle

gulping

excessive saliva sitting in her mouth

fussiness

sleep interupted

congestion while feeding

inability to burp

So we went back to the dr and they put her on Zantac. 0.5 ml every 12 hours. She hates the taste and screams when we give it to her but she takes it. We have seen a 80% improvement since being on the Zantac. However, she still gags at the bottle and cough occasionally. The dr said this is normal as the Zantac's job is to control the acid in the stomach so it dosen't burn on the way up and down but she may still gag. She always wants to be held too. She also suffers from gas pain but not everyday. I noticed that the days that she only goes #2 once or twice it's worse and days like today where she went 3 times she had no gas issues. I guess she is releasing it all. The dr says that if she continues to have gas issues and the gas drops don't help her then he wants us to go back to the ALimentum for a full week to see if their is a difference. We don't even need the gas drops everyday so hopefully it won't come to that.

What symptoms is your LO having?
Are you FF or BF or both?

I started of BFing at the hospital and for a short time at home but it didn't work out unfortuntaly and I took that pretty hard but now she is formula fed only. However, I did notice that once my milk came in she also did gag once at the breast......

I def think it's a good idea to bring it up to your dr, I know it can be very stressful but it's best to find out for sure and try to find what you can do to help her. We still have not got to that point.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
February 9th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mika has reflux and is on Zantac.

Constant crying, vomiting, arching, screaming, inability to settle down, wouldnt straighten his legs at all, congestion,

Mika was put on Nutramigen thickened with rice cereal. But he also has bowel issues and some micrognathia.

We have a reflux wedge in his bed. We externally pace his feeding, he is held upright for 40 min after eating and never laid flat.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
February 9th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar08 View Post
Mika has reflux and is on Zantac.

Constant crying, vomiting, arching, screaming, inability to settle down, wouldnt straighten his legs at all, congestion,

Mika was put on Nutramigen thickened with rice cereal. But he also has bowel issues and some micrognathia.

We have a reflux wedge in his bed. We externally pace his feeding, he is held upright for 40 min after eating and never laid flat.
We also elevate her head in her bassinet by placing receiving blankets under the mattress. Sophia does not spit up though.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

February 9th, 2013, 07:48 AM
nursingmama's Avatar Super Mommy
I think this is what my little Felix has also Im planning on mentioning it at his appointment next week. He is strictly breastfed and his symptoms are:

-gagging at the breast
-gurgling noise in his throat
-excessive hiccups (which seem painful to him and make him cry)
-fussiness after feeding (he is so calm every other time of day)
-arching his back
-nasal congestion with feeding
-interruption in his sleep pattern (this one is so sad because he used to sleep so well)
-he is extremely difficult to burp at times
-he wants to eat all the time now (Like every hour) but is fussy when put to the breast. This is a huge change from a couple weeks ago when he would eat like a champ every 2-3hrs

i keep him upright while feeding and for at least 40-60min after feeding and I stop feeding him every 5-10 min to try and burp him before putting him back to the breast. I only lay him at a 30 degree angle now. I am very careful about what I eat. Since doing these things I have noticed a slight improvement but he still seems incredibly uncomfortable with feedings

February 9th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursingmama View Post
I think this is what my little Felix has also Im planning on mentioning it at his appointment next week. He is strictly breastfed and his symptoms are:

-gagging at the breast
-arching his back
-interruption in his sleep pattern (this one is so sad because he used to sleep so well)
-he wants to eat all the time now (Like every hour) but is fussy when put to the breast. This is a huge change from a couple weeks ago when he would eat like a champ every 2-3hrs

i keep him upright while feeding and for at least 40-60min after feeding and I stop feeding him every 5-10 min to try and burp him before putting him back to the breast. I only lay him at a 30 degree angle now. I am very careful about what I eat. Since doing these things I have noticed a slight improvement but he still seems incredibly uncomfortable with feedings
Popping in from Oct 12 PR. I saw this topic on the main board. I EBF and my baby had most of the symptoms you described as well as mucousy poops. Our pedi prescribed Zantac but wanted me to eliminate all dairy from my diet before I started him on Zantac. After 2 days dairy free my son was also symptom free and I never had to start him on the medication. Just something for you to maybe try out or talk with your pedi about. Hope your baby gets to feeing better soon
nursingmama likes this.

February 9th, 2013, 08:46 AM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerdays12 View Post

Popping in from Oct 12 PR. I saw this topic on the main board. I EBF and my baby had most of the symptoms you described as well as mucousy poops. Our pedi prescribed Zantac but wanted me to eliminate all dairy from my diet before I started him on Zantac. After 2 days dairy free my son was also symptom free and I never had to start him on the medication. Just something for you to maybe try out or talk with your pedi about. Hope your baby gets to feeing better soon
I was just thinking about popping in to say just that for those that are nursing. I've had to cut dairy each time I've nursed my babies. Milk is known to cause mucus build up.
nursingmama likes this.

February 9th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Quote:

-gagging at the breast
-arching his back

Lauryn has all those symptoms too plus a few others, but she is FF.

I'm thinking of running out to buy a can of Nutramigen to try before her appt Monday. Has anyone used it before?

February 9th, 2013, 11:18 AM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyenchanted View Post

I'm thinking of running out to buy a can of Nutramigen to try before her appt Monday. Has anyone used it before?
We have silent reflux here too and have had the same symptoms you listed. We've been thru 3 different types of formula already and Zantac. But Elijah has been on Nutrimagin for 2 days now and we are already seeing a huge difference! He just seems so much more content and the only time he's really been crying is when he's hungry or when he was over-stimulated. We had to use it for DD too and it was a lifesaver with her.

The cost is pretty high for us so we're going to have both of our parents sign up for the Enfamil club so we can get some more checks in the mail. Some insurance covers it, but unfortunately not ours.

Good luck with Lauren if you decide to use it. Keep us updated on how she does!

February 9th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaddlestar View Post
We have silent reflux here too and have had the same symptoms you listed. We've been thru 3 different types of formula already and Zantac. But Elijah has been on Nutrimagin for 2 days now and we are already seeing a huge difference! He just seems so much more content and the only time he's really been crying is when he's hungry or when he was over-stimulated. We had to use it for DD too and it was a lifesaver with her.

The cost is pretty high for us so we're going to have both of our parents sign up for the Enfamil club so we can get some more checks in the mail. Some insurance covers it, but unfortunately not ours.

Good luck with Lauren if you decide to use it. Keep us updated on how she does!
Updated (sort of) in OP...

Is he also still on the stomach medicine? I'm hoping the Dr. will give us something to try on Monday. I work in the office she goes to, and one of my co-worker's baby was prescribed Prevacid... just one capsule in his bottle every day. But he was a few months old, so I don't want to go dosing her myself.

Which bottles are you using for Eli?

February 9th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Updated (sort of) in OP...

Is he also still on the stomach medicine? I'm hoping the Dr. will give us something to try on Monday. I work in the office she goes to, and one of my co-worker's baby was prescribed Prevacid... just one capsule in his bottle every day. But he was a few months old, so I don't want to go dosing her myself.

Which bottles are you using for Eli?
I just saw that you sent me a PM after I responded to you. So far he is doing much better. He has been much more content. Plus I found a wrap (Infantino Sync) at TJ Maxx on clearance for $20 and I'm thrilled with it. I never thought I'd be a baby-wearer but this thing is a miracle worker so far. As I'm typing this he's curled up in it sound asleep against me.

He was doing so many of the things that you listed above. Especially maddening was the comfort feeding because we knew that even though it temporarily satisfied him, once the acid rose back up he would be miserable again. We have the Zantac still but wanted to see if he did ok on just the Nutrimagin.

Yes, DD was also a reflux baby. We wound up with her on Nutrimagin till she was 1. Some babies outgrow it and can be put back on normal formula at 6 months or when they start solid foods, but unfortunately she couldn't handle it. We're hoping he is not the same in that aspect.

We use the Playtex Nursers & drop-ins too. DH wanted to try the Dr. Browns too, but I convinced him to let us try the new formula before we switched out all the bottles.

Don't beat yourself up for not noticing symptoms earlier. Being a mom is so trial & error sometimes that we try many other options first before realizing what it could be. You're a great mom and you are doing the best you can for your baby! Let me know how the new formula works. We'll make it thru this together!

February 9th, 2013, 02:26 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerdays12 View Post
I read online about eliminating dairy this morning and am going to try it Its going to be challenging because I am an INCREDIBLY picky eater and most the things I do like are dairy lol but I am willing to do anything to make Felix better
mommysc2 likes this.

February 9th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Quote:
I read online about eliminating dairy this morning and am going to try it Its going to be challenging because I am an INCREDIBLY picky eater and most the things I do like are dairy lol but I am willing to do anything to make Felix better
I read online that eliminating dairy can still take 2 weeks to "clear" your system, so just be aware of that and don't give up if it doesn't help right away.

We had our first bottle of Nutramigen tonight. The Dr. Brown's weren't out of the diswasher yet, so I don't know how those work for her, but she did ok with the Nutramigen. She didn't grunt and arch through the whole feeding, and there was no screaming. I'm sure I'm not seeing response yet, but the good news is it doesn't seem to be burning her on the way down. She seemed to drink it fine as well. I was afraid she would reject it because of the different taste... it sure does smell funny.

Karen, how are you preparing it? I can't shake it up in the Dr. Brown's bottles. It says to use packed scoops and not too heat it too warm as it can break down the nutrients... so I've made some up in a blender ball container, and I'm just going to heat it a little. She seemed fine with it. I didn't think packing the scoops would be such a pain though, it seems messy. If it's not one thing, it's another... I'll take the mess if it means happy baby. Also, it doesn't seem like it looks as mixed as well as regular formula, even though I shook it up really well. Kinda strange.
nursingmama likes this.

February 9th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Quote:
The first week was the hardest. I didn't realize how much dairy I was consuming. I upped my calcium to 1000 milligrams a day plus whatever is in my post natal vitamins. Also, I found coconut milk to be delicious! Also, found coconut milk yogurt and ice cream. The hardest part was cutting out my cheese intake...cheese is on so many foods served in restaurants. Anyway, it's second nature having no dairy, not even a big deal anymore. Hope eliminating fairly jes your baby Good luck!!
nursingmama likes this.

February 9th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Quote:
I read online that eliminating dairy can still take 2 weeks to "clear" your system, so just be aware of that and don't give up if it doesn't help right away.

We had our first bottle of Nutramigen tonight. The Dr. Brown's weren't out of the diswasher yet, so I don't know how those work for her, but she did ok with the Nutramigen. She didn't grunt and arch through the whole feeding, and there was no screaming. I'm sure I'm not seeing response yet, but the good news is it doesn't seem to be burning her on the way down. She seemed to drink it fine as well. I was afraid she would reject it because of the different taste... it sure does smell funny.

Karen, how are you preparing it? I can't shake it up in the Dr. Brown's bottles. It says to use packed scoops and not too heat it too warm as it can break down the nutrients... so I've made some up in a blender ball container, and I'm just going to heat it a little. She seemed fine with it. I didn't think packing the scoops would be such a pain though, it seems messy. If it's not one thing, it's another... I'll take the mess if it means happy baby. Also, it doesn't seem like it looks as mixed as well as regular formula, even though I shook it up really well. Kinda strange.
Sounds like a good start! It does have a distinct smell to it doesn't it? Kinda buttery and pungent. As soon as we gave him his 1st bottle I snuggled him close and said, "yes I remember this smell from 6 years ago!"

I don't know much about the Dr. browns bottles so I'm not sure why they cannot be shaken in the bottle. But with the drop-ins I've been filling the sleeve with lukewarm water and then adding the scoops and shaking it in the bottle. As far as packing the scoop goes, you'll get a method down. I can't even explain what I do- it's just a motion I go thru. And it does separate a little so it's important to shake it right before they feed.

I really hope it works for you and Lauren gets some relief!

February 9th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Ugh... I give up, seriously. I know it hasn't even been 24 hours yet, and she's only had 2 bottles... but I don't know if the Nutramigen will be the answer for us. I just feel at a loss.

The first bottle she handled fine. The second seemed worse than her current formula. She spit up during feeding(which is abnormal for her... not unheard of, but abnormal.) and her burps sounded MUCH more wet after having it and her hiccups were more powerful and she actually cried from them, which she doesn't do. Plus, she acts like she's starving 1 - 1.5 hours later... like it's not satisfying her at all. She was fighting the bottle just the same this time too.

So, I just went back to the sensitive. I will ask the dr. Monday about starting a med for reflux. I don't know what else to do.

Gah, why does this motherhood thing have to be so hard sometimes?!

February 9th, 2013, 11:07 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mollie has most of these symptoms... :/

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

February 10th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Quote:

I don't have any advice on the Nutramigin and how well it mixes and warms but I do have advice on the Dr. Brown's bottles and how I mix and heat the formula. Ok, well first I never shlae my bottles. I don't do this for 2 reasons...1.) shaking the bottles cause bubbles and because my baby gets gas sometimes I don't want to further add to it. 2.) The Dr. Brown's bottles has a venting system with a long straw that goes down the center of the bottle. If you shake the bottle clumps of formula get get caught or stuck in the straw and that isn't good. This is what I do:

I purchased the Dr. Brown's formula mixing pitcher and let me tell you...it is A-MAZING!! It really is, def worth the money to get one and they are only like $14.00. I got mine at BRU. I pre-mix the formula for the entire day. So, for example Sophia eats about 28 ounces a day (24 hours) so I pur the water to the 28 ounce mark and then add the correct amount of powered scoops of formula and put the lid on the pitcher and all you do is pump the handle up and down for a few minutes....1 or 2 and then the formula is mixed...I always open the lid when I am done just to be sure the clumps are dissolved. Also, don't pump the handle too hard or above the water level. When the formula is ready you will see bubbles in the pitcher, once the formula hits the air the bubbles dissolve so you can pout into your bottle right away if your baby is ready to eat. I pre-make the bottles and put in the fridge and when she is ready to eat I just run the bottle under hot water for about 2 minutes so the bottle is just above room temp, of course you can keep it under the water shorter or longer too. I don't put the venting system in the bottles until I warmed them up because the pressure from the warming and venting system cause cause pressure on the nipple which could cause air. So after I warm the bottle I place the 2 pieces of the venting system (insert and straw) and then feed. It may sound like a lot of work but it really isn't....

This is just what I do with the dr browns bottles........just wanted to share!!

Quote:
Ugh... I give up, seriously. I know it hasn't even been 24 hours yet, and she's only had 2 bottles... but I don't know if the Nutramigen will be the answer for us. I just feel at a loss.

The first bottle she handled fine. The second seemed worse than her current formula. She spit up during feeding(which is abnormal for her... not unheard of, but abnormal.) and her burps sounded MUCH more wet after having it and her hiccups were more powerful and she actually cried from them, which she doesn't do. Plus, she acts like she's starving 1 - 1.5 hours later... like it's not satisfying her at all. She was fighting the bottle just the same this time too.

So, I just went back to the sensitive. I will ask the dr. Monday about starting a med for reflux. I don't know what else to do.

Gah, why does this motherhood thing have to be so hard sometimes?!
The dr will prob give you Zantac and it has worked wonders so far for Sophia!!! I am so sorry that she is not doing well but my dr always tells me thats you have to give a full week for a new formula to see if it works.......Zantac tastes yucky, it tastes like peppermint and she cried when we give it to her but I think she is getting used to it. I know the pharmacies can flavor them so I am def going to ask my dr on Thursday if we can do that for newborns.....good luck!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

February 10th, 2013, 09:04 AM
I'm so sorry she didn't do well on it. If she reacted that way to it I would definitely wait and see what the pedi says. It may be that she needs something different or it needs to be combined with the Zantac. Or maybe she has an allergy that needs a soy formula. I hope you can get some answers tomorrow.

We're doing well here as far as contentment goes except we've developed a new little issue. With the previous formula (Enfamil AR) he was doing great as far as the actual feeding went. It is a thicker formula and he seemed to be able to eat it smoother & easier without a lot of choking or swallowing issues. The Nutramigen is thinner and so he does choke sometimes and has spit up once or twice. But we're managing that.

Anyhow the biggest issue with the AR was how much it constipated him..it was so painful to watch him try and go. Now that we've switched, he has emptied all that backlog out...and then some. Now he won't stop pooping! And it's starting to make his poor bum raw. I'm wondering if we could thicken the Nutramigen to make it a bit more balanced. I'll have to ask the pedi.

Sigh...this is just one thing after another

February 10th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

I used Nutramigenn with both my youngest kids for malasorption and reflux/allergy issues. It worked wonderfully honestly. But we also thickened it for Mika and for Bryn she used it in her feeding tube. So we have no experience using it as is (not thickened or in a feeding tube)

Mykelti James 01.21.13

Last edited by Briar08; February 10th, 2013 at 09:26 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search