Hunger cues

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MommaTooters

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Expecting #1
So I read crying is the last sign and we should try to avoid that. When Ember is awake, I can start seeing her cues and then ill nurse her, but if she is asleep, she goes from sleeping to crying. There is no waking up and whimpering. She will start to stir, but sometimes goes back to sleep, so I don't get her until her eyes open or she really seems up ( don't wake a sleeping baby, right?)

Do you grab your LO when they start to stir or do you wait for a cry/whine to get them? More often than not, Ember is asleep before she needs to eat again so before most feedings she is crying, since she just cried herself awake.

February 11th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I never wake Lincoln if he's sleeping, lol. I guess that's because he's only really happy/non-fussy when he's asleep or when he's eating. When he's sleeping I try to rebuild my sanity, lol. So I'm definitely not gonna interrupt that.

I don't know. I don't think he bothers with many hunger cues, I think he goes straight to crying, but that may just be because he wants to eat CONSTANTLY. If he's awake, I'm feeding him usually. I hope that changes as he gets older and starts interacting with his environment more. He was really happy and smiley for about 5 minutes this morning and that was the first time he's been like that, it was wonderful.

February 11th, 2013, 05:49 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mollie has been doing that too at night and occasionally during the day. It's straight from a peaceful sleep to crying. I'm thinking its gas pain/reflux but I usually feed her if its been over an hour since she nursed. During the day she will usually root, smack or make a short fussy sound. I wouldn't wake baby unless its been four hours.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

February 11th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
At night Marshall occasionally starts whimpering first and if I can get awake enough I get up and fix the bottle before he starts screaming but alot of time I don't get up until he's crying and alot of time he goes straight from sleeping to whimpering for about 5sec to full on "I'm hungry feed me NOW" crying.

During the day he starts moving around and kinda fussing and trying to eat his hand. Then if he's not got a bottle in his mouth within 15sec he's screaming. He's a very impatient baby. I try to stay ahead of the game by having it ready when I know its been a couple hrs but its hard to do that at night.
February 11th, 2013, 06:30 AM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I've only woken Sarah Beth up a small number of times to eat. Even during the 24 hours we were at the hosp. She just knows when to eat. Last night she went about five hours without eating, maybe longer, I didn't look at the time. She fussed a little and was up grunting several times but I just soothed her back to sleep (we co-sleep) and she was fine. Gas has been keeping her awake at night.

During the day she will suck her hand, root, she does this little huff & puff sort of thing and then she slowly winds up. But I have to admit, I've never let her all out scream unless I just couldn't get to her. Like if I was in the bathroom, making the boys something to eat, tending to one of the boys...that kind of thing. (I'm big on not ditching the older siblings just bc sister is wimpering and not stopping in the middle of what I'm doing if it's something I can quickly finish.)
joellejello likes this.

February 11th, 2013, 07:58 AM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If he is asleep and starting to do the hunger cues (sucking on thumb, pukering lips etc) and it reached that 3 hour mark I will pick him up and feed him. However, if its 2 hours and he is still half asleep but doing the cues Ill leave him until he fully awakes.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
February 11th, 2013, 11:01 AM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
I go to Evan when he starts to stir,DH waits till he's crying.

February 11th, 2013, 01:19 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTooters View Post
I think I've only woken Sarah Beth up a small number of times to eat. Even during the 24 hours we were at the hosp. She just knows when to eat. Last night she went about five hours without eating, maybe longer, I didn't look at the time. She fussed a little and was up grunting several times but I just soothed her back to sleep (we co-sleep) and she was fine. Gas has been keeping her awake at night.

During the day she will suck her hand, root, she does this little huff & puff sort of thing and then she slowly winds up. But I have to admit, I've never let her all out scream unless I just couldn't get to her. Like if I was in the bathroom, making the boys something to eat, tending to one of the boys...that kind of thing. (I'm big on not ditching the older siblings just bc sister is wimpering and not stopping in the middle of what I'm doing if it's something I can quickly finish.)
ditto most of this

February 11th, 2013, 02:02 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
Lauryn doesn't really make many cues at night. Sometimes she will start to squirm around, but she also sometimes does that then fall asleep. I'm not going to wake her up if she's going to keep sleeping. And most of the time she goes from sleeping to crying.

During the day, sometimes she'll start to suck on her hand, but the majority of the time she just gets really fussy. And fussy only lasts maybe 10 seconds, then it's crying.

If I'm wearing her, I can usually tell because she start to wake up. whimper a little, and start smacking her lips at her hands or binky.

February 12th, 2013, 06:28 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Sophia just screams when she's hungry. During the day there have been times when I had to wake her to eat, if it passes the 3.5 hour mark. At night she starts to scream and then I look at the clock and know it's time to eat. She dosen't whimper/whine, she goes straight to crying.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
February 12th, 2013, 09:03 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
We almost always have to wake up Baxter to eat. If he is awake already and hungry he rarely fusses, he mostly just roots around. Super cute.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search