Switching formula

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By MommaTooters
  • 1 Post By swaddlestar
  • 1 Post By SaraSmiles
  • 1 Post By Sawyers_Mommy
  • 1 Post By MammaWannaBe
  • 1 Post By Sawyers_Mommy
  • 1 Post By lovelyenchanted
  • 1 Post By lovelyenchanted
  • 1 Post By mommysc2
  • 3 Post By MammaWannaBe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
Has anyone here switched formula without talking to the Dr first? Whenever you have switched, how soon were you able to tell if the formula was helping them?

Marshall has been spitting up alot. We burp him after every ounce and when he does burp he spits up after almost every time even just an ounce. I know I'm not feeding him to much, he wants 2-3 oz and if he doesn't get it he still acts hungry plus like I said he spits up alot even after an ounce. A few times he has even projectile spit-up! That was bad and gross. And you can tell that it bothers him that he spits up when he does alot.
Anyways, Yesterday since we were needing to buy formula anyways, I did some research and decided I would try Similac for Spit-up. I bought the ready to feed kind to try because it was only $7 where as the powdered can (even though it'd last longer) was $15 and I didn't want to buy it if it didn't help.

He's been having it since late yesterday evening about 7:30 and has only spit up twice and those times was such a tiny bit that it just got on his chin. Could it really be working that quick? I tried to look up online but couldn't find an answer as to how long it takes. Every where I read said not to switch formula without speaking with the Dr. first. Is this just out of precaution or did I jump the gun on trying a new formula? If this continues to work and I call to see if they'll write it as a prescription so WIC will get it, I don't want to get chewed out for switching without checking.

ALSO the past 4 feedings he's been wanting 4oz!
February 11th, 2013, 05:59 AM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I switched formula with my now five year old without asking the dr first. I stuck with the same brand but switched to the Sensitive kind. I just slowly phased out the stuff he was on and switched him over. I could tell a difference within 12 hours. I think it's completely fine to switch formulas without drs permission as long as there aren't any health concerns to worry about first.

About the 4oz, he may really be that hungry or he may just be eating because it's there. Bottles are easier for babies to suck from since it kind of just pours out for them vs the breast where they actually have to work to get the milk out. Some babies overeat on the bottle because of that. BUT...if you think he's really that hungry and he doesn't seem to be bothered by the extra couple ounces then feed 'em! lol
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

February 11th, 2013, 06:05 AM
I tried looking for a spit-up kind in the brand he was one but as far as I could find, Good Start didn't have one but for fussiness :/ So I had to switch brands. I didn't think about phasing it out, I just switched completly. Ooops. Hope that wasn't too hard on his stomach.

I *think* he really just needs that extra ounce. The first time I fixed him 3 like he always eats and he wanted more and ate that extra ounce. Same with the 2nd time so from then on I've fixed 4oz but stopped him at 3 and seen if he was fine without it but he ended up wanting the extra ounce again. I might try to go down to 3 &1/2oz and see if he's ok with that.
February 11th, 2013, 06:35 AM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
I think the switching depends on your doctor. Ours wants us to come in before switching (and then they give us samples of the new stuff, which is nice) Our last visit was to switch from Sensitive to AR (for spitup) and she said if that didn't work then we could go out and get Nutramigen. Really they just don't want us going out and making the decision to go to soy without trying other options first.

As far as the feeding goes he may be ready for 4 oz. Eli already was taking 4 at 1 month old and now he's taking 5. When we were on the AR I noticed that he seemed hungrier too which surprised me considering how thick the stuff is.

February 11th, 2013, 07:54 AM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I switched my formula from similac advanced to enfamil newborn and I saw almost an immediate difference. I know the 2 are very similar but he went from wanting to eat only an ounce to about 2 almost instantly. Similac has alot more bubbles than enfamil, I have a feeling that had something to do with it. But I didnt ask my pedi because I knew the two were so similar, and plus I never asked what formula in the first place I should be using. I just had a bunch of similac from samples throughout my pregnancy so I just started that hoping he would like it because I had so much of it. But if your cautious or worried than just ask. I dont think it will make too big of a deal either way.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
February 11th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks

I may put in a call to the nurse line and just tell them I tried this one out and it seems to be working but ask if there is a different kind they recommend.

I couldn't find a kind for enfamil that is for spit up, only gas. They might have it though, but I don't want to put him on it cause when he was on Enfamil before we went through 2 bottles of gas drops in a week and a half and that stopped immediatly when we started on Good Start. So that pretty much only leaves Similac for us to use, I think.
MammaWannaBe likes this.
February 11th, 2013, 12:42 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We switched within the same brand of formulas without asking (oops!?) but I think it's ok. This was when we needed to supplement because I was pumping. We couldn't decide whether to stick with the liquid Similac Advance or go with the powder form. We did try a colic powder for awhile but it didn't seem to help (although looking back it might have been the water we were using that upset her--newbie mistake). Now we use distilled water (the Zeypherhills jugs) and mix it with Similac Advanced Powder. After a day or so of letting her get settled we notice that she tends to handle her feedings well.

One thing to think about to is how you are feeding him. I notice that if I don't sit her up enough or if I'm rushing and do not stop to burp her every ounce or so or give her a few minutes afterwards of peaceful resting to digest that she tends to spit up a whole lot more. We also swear by the Breastflow First Year bottles because they force her to slow down and do a longer latch to pull in the milk. That seems to help her. Vivi definitely does better when there is consistency with how we feed her so that's something else that might help. Definitely ask your doctor though, but I would give any switch a day or two so his tummy can settle with the new formula choice!

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
February 11th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Ok so I called his Ped's office and spoke with the nurse and told her all about eveything and how I had switched. She didn't say anything about me switching him and didn't comment on if it's too early for it to be working.

She did say that since we get WIC that they ONLY do Good Start so she asked to call me back so that she could check with them to see which Good Start product compared to the Similac for Spit-up. She called back and said that Good Start Soothe is supposed to compare to it and that she'd leave me a couple cans at the front desk. I can't make it out there to get them today so I'm going to have to buy some to last us through the night. Hopefully it works as good as the Similac spit-up. I'll give it a week or two on it and if it's not any better I'll switch back and just pay for it. I'd rather spend a ton of money on formula then him spit up like he has been.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Similac smells good? lol the Good Start Gentle we was on STUNK horribly! This is one of the reasons why I was happy about using Similac lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post
One thing to think about to is how you are feeding him. I notice that if I don't sit her up enough or if I'm rushing and do not stop to burp her every ounce or so or give her a few minutes afterwards of peaceful resting to digest that she tends to spit up a whole lot more. We also swear by the Breastflow First Year bottles because they force her to slow down and do a longer latch to pull in the milk. That seems to help her. Vivi definitely does better when there is consistency with how we feed her so that's something else that might help. Definitely ask your doctor though, but I would give any switch a day or two so his tummy can settle with the new formula choice!
Oy I have to basically sit him up to eat!

I thought maybe it was because the milk comes out a bit fast in the NUK bottles so I decided to try the Drop-ins we have that comes out slow and he gets soooo frustrated that it's not coming out fast enough! I liked how the Similac Spit-up has added starch to it so it thickens it up so then it doesn't come out as fast on the NUK ones but doesn't make it too slow that he gets mad either.

I think I'll try several days on the new formula and if he's still spitting up buy a couple different bottles to try. I've also heard people say their kids stopped spitting up when they switched to Dr. Brown's.

Last edited by Sawyers_Mommy; February 11th, 2013 at 01:02 PM.
February 11th, 2013, 01:05 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
I think it depends on your doctor but I am sure if it works then they will hav eno problem writing a script for WIC. I really don't see why not. I am in the same boat as you. I want to try a different formula too but my dr is already recommending a very expensive one and I would really like to try some senistive ones first....hmmmm, what to do!!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
February 11th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysc2 View Post
I think it depends on your doctor but I am sure if it works then they will hav eno problem writing a script for WIC. I really don't see why not. I am in the same boat as you. I want to try a different formula too but my dr is already recommending a very expensive one and I would really like to try some senistive ones first....hmmmm, what to do!!
I guess they must've stopped doing the writing script thing because she said WIC ONLY covers Good Start :/ Thankfully though they have one that is 'supposed' to compare to the Similac Spit-up so I'll try it.

I didn't think the Good Start Soothe (the one I'm supposed to try) was for spit-up but I guess the Dr. office knows what they are talking about lol
mommysc2 likes this.
February 11th, 2013, 01:19 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
The Similac sensitive has rice starch in it, so it's very close to Enfamil AR. Be careful because some babies get really constipated because of this, then they're really fussy because they are straining to go to the bathroom... and then that's a whole new problem. A lot of doctors don't like to jump to rice starch until another formula has been tried either.

Was he on the Goodstart Gentle? Is the spit up new for him?

You probably don't want to keep jumping formulas, but you could always try a "sensitive" formula. (Similac Sensitive or Enfamil Gentlease) Maybe he is spitting up because he's just so gassy. Lauryn doesn't spit up often, but when she does, it's usually after a big burp. The projectile vomiting could indicate another issue though, like reflux or milk protein allergy. The sensitive formulas have partially broken down proteins to helps them digest it better. If the spit up is new, I would definitely put a call in to the nurse and ask.

February 11th, 2013, 01:27 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
I just saw your other post... looks like what they told you to get is Gerber's version of a sensitive formula. I looked online and it doesn't look like Gerber has a rice starch product. Hopefully he will do better on that one.

February 11th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers_Mommy View Post
Ok so I called his Ped's office and spoke with the nurse and told her all about eveything and how I had switched. She didn't say anything about me switching him and didn't comment on if it's too early for it to be working.

She did say that since we get WIC that they ONLY do Good Start so she asked to call me back so that she could check with them to see which Good Start product compared to the Similac for Spit-up. She called back and said that Good Start Soothe is supposed to compare to it and that she'd leave me a couple cans at the front desk. I can't make it out there to get them today so I'm going to have to buy some to last us through the night. Hopefully it works as good as the Similac spit-up. I'll give it a week or two on it and if it's not any better I'll switch back and just pay for it. I'd rather spend a ton of money on formula then him spit up like he has been.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Similac smells good? lol the Good Start Gentle we was on STUNK horribly! This is one of the reasons why I was happy about using Similac lol.

I thought maybe it was because the milk comes out a bit fast in the NUK bottles so I decided to try the Drop-ins we have that comes out slow and he gets soooo frustrated that it's not coming out fast enough! I liked how the Similac Spit-up has added starch to it so it thickens it up so then it doesn't come out as fast on the NUK ones but doesn't make it too slow that he gets mad either.

I think I'll try several days on the new formula and if he's still spitting up buy a couple different bottles to try. I've also heard people say their kids stopped spitting up when they switched to Dr. Brown's.
Sophia is on the Dr. Brown's bottles and she rarely spits up if that helps you at all.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

February 11th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyenchanted View Post
The Similac sensitive has rice starch in it, so it's very close to Enfamil AR. Be careful because some babies get really constipated because of this, then they're really fussy because they are straining to go to the bathroom... and then that's a whole new problem. A lot of doctors don't like to jump to rice starch until another formula has been tried either.

Was he on the Goodstart Gentle? Is the spit up new for him?

You probably don't want to keep jumping formulas, but you could always try a "sensitive" formula. (Similac Sensitive or Enfamil Gentlease) Maybe he is spitting up because he's just so gassy. Lauryn doesn't spit up often, but when she does, it's usually after a big burp. The projectile vomiting could indicate another issue though, like reflux or milk protein allergy. The sensitive formulas have partially broken down proteins to helps them digest it better. If the spit up is new, I would definitely put a call in to the nurse and ask.
Yes he has been on Goodstart Gentle since he was 2wks old. He just started spitting up a little over a week ago. Its had gotten worse over the week. He would 'most' of the time spit up at every burp but not ALWAYS and then on and off for about an hr or more after he ate he would spit up. Basically it was spewing out constantly. He does have acid reflux. It was pretty bad but the Dr prescribed Zantac on Thursday and he's done alot better since then. He still has it but its not bad at all. I had mentioned the spitting up to the Dr and he didn't seem to think it was the formula and that it was just the normal spit up that alot of babies have.
February 11th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Yes he has been on Goodstart Gentle since he was 2wks old. He just started spitting up a little over a week ago. Its had gotten worse over the week. He would 'most' of the time spit up at every burp but not ALWAYS and then on and off for about an hr or more after he ate he would spit up. Basically it was spewing out constantly. He does have acid reflux. It was pretty bad but the Dr prescribed Zantac on Thursday and he's done alot better since then. He still has it but its not bad at all. I had mentioned the spitting up to the Dr and he didn't seem to think it was the formula and that it was just the normal spit up that alot of babies have.
Can I ask how his stools are now that he is on the Zantac? Color, texture, consistency?

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

February 11th, 2013, 04:27 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

Hey

If money is an issue have you thought about trying Sams Club or Diapers.com to compare prices? I've found that they have two of the cheapest places to get formula plus if you order more than 49$ of stuff from diapers.com you get free shipping and you get a percentage off diapers. Just an idea!

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
February 11th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post
Hey

If money is an issue have you thought about trying Sams Club or Diapers.com to compare prices? I've found that they have two of the cheapest places to get formula plus if you order more than 49$ of stuff from diapers.com you get free shipping and you get a percentage off diapers. Just an idea!
Oh thanks! I'll have to check out Sam's club then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysc2 View Post
Can I ask how his stools are now that he is on the Zantac? Color, texture, consistency?
The first few days he had runny smelly stools. Not diahrea (sp?) but runny. I *think* they were brown/greenish kinda mucousy. He hasn't went today though.
February 12th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Oh thanks! I'll have to check out Sam's club then.

The first few days he had runny smelly stools. Not diahrea (sp?) but runny. I *think* they were brown/greenish kinda mucousy. He hasn't went today though.
Yeah, Sophia will be on Zantac for 2 weeks tomorrow. Her stools are runny, some worse than others and many go right through her diaper and partially up her back requiring me to change her clothes. At my last appt I told my dr and he didn't think it was the Zantac but these stools like this started 3 days after we started the Zantac. This can't go on like this anymore. The color is a yellowish/greenish.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search