Here we go again.....it never ends

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2013, 10:37 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Ok, as most of you already have read and I am pretty sure you are all tired of hearing me whine and complain but it never ends!!!

We were told that Sophia has silent acid reflux. She was on a weekend trial of Similac Alimentum at 2 weeks old but it didn't do anything but at that time her only symptom was gagging at the bottle.

Simce then she developed many symtoms of silent reflux. The dr then put her on Zantac which seemed to work wonders. Most of her symptoms diappearred. She is still on Zantac. Abut 3 days after Zantac she had a few runny bowel movemts. The dr didn't think it was from Zantac and then all of a sudden her BM were no longer runny.....very very soft, but not runny. She also starting getting gas pains much more often than she was. Her gas pains are not everyday, every other day it seems to effect her.We give her gas drops, sometimes it helps and sometimes it dosen't.

Yesterday she def had a full blown diaherrea. Most times when she poops we have to change her onesie, that is how soft they are. Today she had another very soft poop, not diaherrea but very soft where it went up her back and again through her clothes.

I just don't know what to do or what is causing this...if it's the zantac and if we stop then what about her acid reflux?? Is it the formula, could she have a milk allergy or something but then why did the extremely soft poops start a few days after her starting zantac......could her body have just taken 2 weeks to realize their was an allergy? The gas is also an issue, I feel so bad for her at times....she really pushes to get a fart out and suffers.....again, not everday. I would say most of her poops are so soft that is goes through her clothes.......just don't know what to do anymore and don't know what the issue is. We go back to the dr on wed so I know I can ask him but I am so tired of this! He did mention that if her gas and diaherrea dosen't improve then to go back on alimentum for a full week but if it is the zantac then that wouldn't make a difference....any thoughts and advice are so much appreciated.....

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
February 11th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Lyndsey2013's Avatar Mom to 2 + 3
Have you moved up to size 1 in diapers yet? That helped with our blow-outs. I don't have any idea about whats causing her poop issues but think you should stay on the zantac until her next appointment. Do you have an 'ask a nurse' phone number you could call?

Gabriel Tomás, 4/29/14
February 11th, 2013, 12:06 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm stuck right there with ya. Which formula is she on now?

I just got off the phone with one of the nurses at our pedi's office. We've been on Nutramigin (Enfamils version of Alimentum) since Thursday and while he's so much less fussy, the formula has an unfortunate side effect- runny stools at least 8x a day. His poor little bum is red and raw and now that's causing him pain.

Anyhow I got a little bit of a "gentle lecture" from her. She told me about switching formulas/meds too quickly and not giving them enough time to take effect. She said that most new things take up to two weeks to even out. Whenever anything new is introduced into a newborns delicate system, things can get thrown off and it takes time for their bodies to adjust and poop is usually the first thing to go haywire. So I'm guessing that maybe he could have been ok on the previous formula- I just didn't give it enough time. Or he could eventually stop pooping 8x a day on the Nutramigin...he's only been on it for 4 days.

So I'm not sure if that was advice or not. I know it's hard waiting while things take effect, especially if it seems to be painful for them. But maybe she's right...maybe I have jumped the gun and switched stuff too fast without letting him adjust to it. I just want him to be okay and I'm impatient for that.

February 11th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey2013 View Post
Have you moved up to size 1 in diapers yet? That helped with our blow-outs. I don't have any idea about whats causing her poop issues but think you should stay on the zantac until her next appointment. Do you have an 'ask a nurse' phone number you could call?
Yes, she just started size 1 diapers about 5 days ago and it has happened in both Pampers Swaddlers and Pampers Baby Dry (which I am not crazy about by the way). Haven't tried Huggies Size 1 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaddlestar View Post

I just got off the phone with one of the nurses at our pedi's office. We've been on Nutramigin (Enfamils version of Alimentum) since Thursday and while he's so much less fussy, the formula has an unfortunate side effect- runny stools at least 8x a day. His poor little bum is red and raw and now that's causing him pain.

Anyhow I got a little bit of a "gentle lecture" from her. She told me about switching formulas/meds too quickly and not giving them enough time to take effect. She said that most new things take up to two weeks to even out. Whenever anything new is introduced into a newborns delicate system, things can get thrown off and it takes time for their bodies to adjust and poop is usually the first thing to go haywire. So I'm guessing that maybe he could have been ok on the previous formula- I just didn't give it enough time. Or he could eventually stop pooping 8x a day on the Nutramigin...he's only been on it for 4 days.

So I'm not sure if that was advice or not. I know it's hard waiting while things take effect, especially if it seems to be painful for them. But maybe she's right...maybe I have jumped the gun and switched stuff too fast without letting him adjust to it. I just want him to be okay and I'm impatient for that.
Oh boy! 8 times a day, that seems like a lot. She is only going about once or twice a day. I am hoping that it is just her body adjusting to the zantac and not an allergy. I guess I will just speak with him on wed and see what he suggests. I have a feeling he is going to tell me to go back to the alimentum again. I only want to do that if it is 100% nec! Right now she is on Enfamil Newborn.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

February 11th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaddlestar View Post

This wed will be 2 weeks that Sophia is on zantac.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

February 12th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mika is on Nutramigen and Zantac and has runny stools.

I think the fact that the Nutramigen is elemental or pre-digested means there isnt a lot of waste, nothing solid enough to bind the stool together.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
February 12th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar08 View Post
Mika is on Nutramigen and Zantac and has runny stools.

I think the fact that the Nutramigen is elemental or pre-digested means there isnt a lot of waste, nothing solid enough to bind the stool together.
Sophia stools only got runny 3 days after starting the Zantac. The dr dosen't seem to think it is the Zantac but I think it's strange. Most stools run right out of the diaper and I have to change her clothes. This can't be normal.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

February 12th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Has she been in the hospital for any length of time?

Mykelti James 01.21.13
February 12th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar08 View Post
Has she been in the hospital for any length of time?
No.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

February 12th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was thinking C.Diff, but generally thats a "been in the hospital for a few days" type of condition. Still, you may want to inquire about C.Diff if she is having constant blow out stools.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
February 12th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Her blow outs aren't everyday. She only goes once or twice a day and they are very soft and at times runny. She will have a blow out though at times. She dosen't have any other symptoms of C. Diff so I am not concerned about that. Her loose stools are def from either then Zantac or her formula.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search