Sleeping in swing?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By swaddlestar

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Nugget0612's Avatar First time Mommy
Does anyone else let their baby sleep in his/her swing all night?? I tried the pack n play when she came home and it didn't work. We tried her swing for like 3 or 4 nites and she slept much better. Well it made me nervous her swinging constantly and moving for 10 hours (only out for feedings) I didn't know if it was good for her and we were burning through batteries like nothing. So I tried the napper that attaches to our pack n play and she slept well in that for some time. But now we are back to where she won't sleep in it and fusses and kicks etc and stays awake 2 hours in the middle of the night. I'm thinking about putting her back in swing but is it safe? She's right next to my bed but I'm worried about the constant motion for so many hours (even though she's asleep) I also put her in it with the body snuggler (head and body support) so she doesn't move and feels comforted and snuggled in it. So is sleeping in a swing all night ok? It does recline quite a bit too. Does anyone else do this?
February 11th, 2013, 07:18 PM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
Does it not have a timer? I don't see an issue. Think if the motion while you were pregnant.

February 11th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Lil_Mama2B's Avatar Veteran
Ive let her sleep in her swing a few times. Theres some nights that she will only sleep if being rocked and will immediately wake up when you stop. I dont think it would be a problem with the motion, as PP said she was in motion while in your tummy. For the batteries that sucks! that could get expensive, If you ccan I'd look for a swing that can plug into the wall. Call the pediatrician and explain whats going on if you want to make absolutley sure

February 11th, 2013, 07:30 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
With ODD, some nights that's the only was I could get some sleep. I've not tried it with the baby, but there's no room next to my bed for the swing.

Could you turn it off for a while, then start it up again if she starts fussing? This might help with how much time she's actually moving.

As far as the batteries go, when ODD was a baby we had 2 sets of rechargeable batteries. While one was on the charger, the other was in the swing. We just swapped them constantly. Now we have a swing that plugs in, but that's only because the old swing was dead when I got it out of storage. Had it still worked, we would have bought more rechargeable batteries and done the battery swap.

February 11th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Host of March '10 PR
In Lucy's early weeks at home, she didnt do so well in the bassinet but would pass right out in the swing. I was hesitant to let her sleep in there, mainly bc I didn't want to start a bad habit- I wanted her to get used to sleeping on her back in the bassinet and not get used to something else.
I talked to her dr about it and was told that in the early weeks/months, they won't develop a habit. I guess I could somewhat see her point, but I resisted the temptation to put her in the swing for night time. Even now, I know she'd sleep better in the swing but I'm still hesitant. I really want her up get this bassinet sleeping down pat. I guess I'm a stickler like that!
That said, Lucy usually sleeps 3/4 of the night in the bassinet, and then I pull her in bed with me. Sometimes she is a little restless in my bed, and as a final resort I plop her in her swing bc I know she'll sleep a bit longer and I can catch a little bit of sleep.
I think at this age, a good motto is: Whatever works! For baby AND for mommy!
February 11th, 2013, 08:45 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
That was the only way we ever got our daughter to sleep. And that was before they made the ones that plug into the wall. I remember running to 7-11 in the middle of the night to spend a fortune on D batteries. We used it so long that we burned the motor out on the darn thing! Then we would put her in it and rock it with our hand till she fell asleep. Like Rachel said: Whatever works at this age!!
LovelyMama likes this.

February 12th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
As long as she is getting some tummy time during the day so she doesnt develop plagio from having her head against the back of the swing for 10+ hours a day then she should be fine.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
February 12th, 2013, 07:29 AM
LovelyMama's Avatar Veteran
Location: Military Wife ~ living everywhere my hubby is needed :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaddlestar View Post
. I remember running to 7-11 in the middle of the night to spend a fortune on D batteries. !
Oh the things we do to sleep ;-)

My baby sleeps in the swing and I don't see a problem with it for now. We leave it on a very low setting so he's not flying back and forth. Also it plugs into the wall (so no late night 7-11 runs). I agree whatever works for you ;-)
February 12th, 2013, 09:06 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I have only let him nap in the swing or bouncy seat so far. I really want to get him in the habit of associating the night sleep with being flat on his back.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search