Back at it again

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By MammaWannaBe
  • 1 Post By Sawyers_Mommy
  • 1 Post By Sawyers_Mommy
  • 1 Post By MommaTooters
  • 2 Post By lovelyenchanted
  • 1 Post By lovelyenchanted
  • 2 Post By swaddlestar

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
By the 2nd bottle of the Good start Soothe, Marshall was already back to spitting up. At nearly every single ounce and on and off after feedings as well. Not sure if I should give it a while longer or what.

Think I'll give a call to the nurse tomorrow and tell them and ask if I should switch him back to the Similac Spit-up since it helped him alot or should I try something else or just leave him on it. I don't like him spitting up this much when I know that I can help it. No the Similac didn't stop it 100% but out of a 24hr period of bottles, he only spit up 4 times and that was only a tiny bit, like the 'normal' amount of spit up you'd see a baby have. And it wasn't during a feeding, it was a bit after.

Even if they say I should leave him on it, I will switch him back in a week or two if it's still going on. Yes they are Dr's but mama's know best when they see that something is helping
February 12th, 2013, 05:19 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All the switching might be upsetting him. Did you get a trial size or a full size? It might be worth it to stick with it for another day or so. I totally agree with you on mother's instincts, but we saw that Vivi really spit up a lot when we were going back and forth between formula's. It's consistently better now that we are only using Similac Advance but it took a few days to really see a difference. I think for us again the bottle change and frequent burping was our answer.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
February 12th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Yea that could be it.

I bought a regular can because they were closed before I could make it to the Dr but went there today and they gave me two regular sized cans as well so I have 3 cans. Which would last about a week or little more
February 12th, 2013, 05:43 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Maybe just give it another day or so. See if it is just the formula that is causing spit up or something else. If you don't isolate a variable it will be hard to figure out what the cause of the spit up is although it might be a combo of a few things.

I hope it works itself out soon! I know how stressful it can be!
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
February 12th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Yeah I def want to give it atleast another day or two. I'll probably call them Friday if it keeps up so that we don't have to go over the weekend if they recommend switching back.
MammaWannaBe likes this.
February 12th, 2013, 06:35 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Yeah, I agree that too much switching of formulas over a short time may be upsetting his stomach. I would def stick with it for a few more days unless of course it gets really bad. What was you reason for not using the Similac Spit Up if it was working again? Is the Zantac helping his other symptoms?

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
February 12th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysc2 View Post
Yeah, I agree that too much switching of formulas over a short time may be upsetting his stomach. I would def stick with it for a few more days unless of course it gets really bad. What was you reason for not using the Similac Spit Up if it was working again? Is the Zantac helping his other symptoms?
I stopped because when I called to tell the nurse I had switched and to ask if they had any other brand they recommended she said wic only covers Good Start and said that Good Start Soothe was supposed to do the same thing as the Similac Spit-up. I figured I'd try it to see if we could still get wic. But i'll just pay for the Similac if need be.

The Zantac has helped tremendously on his other symptoms. When he spits up you can tell it bothers him but not in a hurting kind of way like it did before the Zantac.
mommysc2 likes this.
February 12th, 2013, 07:59 PM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers_Mommy View Post

I stopped because when I called to tell the nurse I had switched and to ask if they had any other brand they recommended she said wic only covers Good Start and said that Good Start Soothe was supposed to do the same thing as the Similac Spit-up. I figured I'd try it to see if we could still get wic. But i'll just pay for the Similac if need be.

The Zantac has helped tremendously on his other symptoms. When he spits up you can tell it bothers him but not in a hurting kind of way like it did before the Zantac.
You should be SB,e o get an rx from the dr to use something other than why WIC typically 'prescribes.' Both of my oldest boys were on a Similac formula that I chose. Explained to the drs that it was working the best and they wrote me a script to take to WIC. Maybe try that if the current formula doesn't work and you need to switch back to the Similac.

February 12th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Thats what I thought but it seems like she would've said so when I mentioned that it was working. I didn't think to ask and maybe she thought I should try the Soothe first. I'll def ask though if I end up having to call back.
February 12th, 2013, 08:53 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
Have you tried a different bottle like Dr. Brown's? Maybe he's getting a lot of air? The DB bottles have helped us a lot!

Also, I would call WIC directly and ask them if they will cover with an Rx. They do here, and they do most places from what I have read online. Although, in some states Similac does not contract with them at all, so maybe they would want you to do Enfamil AR instead. (Here in Ohio they don't do Gerber at all... Rx or not. So it just may depend on who WIC contracts with in your state) Which state are you in?

Another option might be to just add some plain rice cereal to the formula if the Dr. says that's ok. The Similac for spit up has rice starch in it, that's what makes it work the way it does. That way, you still get the help from WIC and just have to pay for the cereal... much cheaper option if it works.
Sawyers_Mommy and mommysc2 like this.

February 12th, 2013, 08:59 PM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you tried that special formula from enfamil Nutrimigen or something nutty like that It helped my friends son a lot

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
February 12th, 2013, 09:21 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
Kelsey-- I realized you were in NC.

I found this: http://www.nutritionnc.com/wic/pdf/F...WICProgram.pdf

It looks like as of Oct 2012 NC WIC will NOT give anything other than Gerber, unless it's a special formula (non milk or soy based -- like Nutramigen).

Ask about the rice cereal maybe?

February 12th, 2013, 09:29 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree with you. I liked the consistency of the spit-up stuff more than any of the formulas I've used. Eli seemed to drink it easier without choking or spitting any of it up. So after calling the dr we got the ok to add rice cereal to the formula we are on now so that we get the benefits of the Nutramigen with the consistency of the spit-up formula.
Sawyers_Mommy and mommysc2 like this.

February 13th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Thanks for all the input! I hadn't thought of adding rice cereal but will def ask about it if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaddlestar View Post
I agree with you. I liked the consistency of the spit-up stuff more than any of the formulas I've used. Eli seemed to drink it easier without choking or spitting any of it up. So after calling the dr we got the ok to add rice cereal to the formula we are on now so that we get the benefits of the Nutramigen with the consistency of the spit-up formula.
Does it seem to have helped him just adding the rice cereal?
February 13th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We use the rice ceral with the Nutramigenn and it works wonders.

The Dr told us to use 15ML of cereal per 3 ounces of water

Mykelti James 01.21.13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search