Sleeping more, eating less?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SaraSmiles

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2013, 12:19 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
Lauryn seems to be in this strange pattern since yesterday afternoon. She usually eats every 2-3 hours (closer to every 2) and takes2-4 oz, unless it's night time then she'll go every 2-4 hours.

Yesterday she went to sleep in the car when we left to get DD from school around 2:40. (she ate around 2:15) and then slept until 7:45. When she woke up she ate 3 oz and wanted more so I gave her another 2 oz. (so a total of 5 oz for that feeding). Then she was awake on and off, sort of fussy until 9:30. She took 2.5 oz then. Same thing after that feeding- awake on and off and fussy. I fed her at midnight and she only took 1.5 oz only. DF went to bed, and I knew she was nowhere ready to lay down with as fussy as she was, so I put her in the Moby. She was out pretty quickly, but I'd say she was in a good sleep by 1:00 AM. I stayed up until 3:00 thinking she'd be up in her usual 2 hours for a feeding. When she didn't budge by 3:00, I took her to bed, and she slept until 7:00! When she woke up, she only took 3.5 oz. I was surprised, considering she slept so long. After that feeding, she was only up for maybe an hour to 1.5 hours, dozing on and off, but I wouldn't say actually sleeping. Then she fell asleep on the way to DD's dentist appt around 8:45 and stayed asleep again until 11:15. So, that's another 4 hours stretch between feeds. She took 3.5 oz at that feed, fell asleep in her swing and just woke up again at 2:10 and took 4 oz. She's now awake, just hanging out with ODD in her bouncer while she watches NickJr. We're going to try and keep her up for a while.

I try not to worry too much as long as she's getting at least 18 z in a 24 hour period (the "normal" range is 18-32 oz per day of formula for a 4-weeker) Her normal is 18-22 oz in any 24 hour time frame. She's gaining weight just fine. Wetting diapers fine. I think she's a little constipated, but I think that's from the gas drops she's been getting since Saturday. No fever, doesn't act sick.

Does this sound normal or should I be worried? I guess now that I type it out, even with that 5 and 6/7 hour stretch of sleep, she's getting enough to eat. But it seems like less because of the gaps of time. I would assume the sleeping more could just be a growth spurt. If it keeps up for more than a few days, I will call the doctor, but there really is nothing else of concern. Just the increased sleeping. She's never stayed awake for huge periods of time anyway, but doesn't usually sleep for such stretches either. I really won't complain if she's going to be sleeping longer at night... but to have a 5 hour nap, then later sleep for 6 hours?

What do you think?

February 13th, 2013, 04:42 PM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well of course it not being my child, I can think rationally and say that you shouldnt really be worried as long as
1. shes eating enough
2. no fever
3. alert when she is awake
4. still having plenty of wet diapers

However, anytime there is a change in joshua's behavior I always get worried. I guess its normal to worry about such little ones. But honestly, Im sure shes fine, but if you are at all concerned just give the dr a call. It will help you sleep at night

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search