I Seriously...

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By mal91011
  • 1 Post By nursingmama
  • 1 Post By MammaWannaBe
  • 1 Post By joellejello
  • 1 Post By Peytonsmomma
  • 1 Post By beamermarie
  • 1 Post By Babyschultz
  • 1 Post By Xtapolapocet
  • 1 Post By MammaWannaBe
  • 1 Post By missadie222
  • 1 Post By Xtapolapocet

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2013, 07:14 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Should have worked out more while pregnant. I was so afraid I'd hurt the baby but I am now really regretting it. My stomach looks a hot mess. Saggy skin that hangs over my c section scar, stretch marks and dry skin, gross belly button and that stupid line hasn't gone away. I tried to do some abs tonight and I feel like my stomach has bottomed out! It feels nearly impossible and I was out of breath so easily. It feels defeating. I honestly can't imagine getting back in shape or getting my body even close to back.

BTDT moms, does it just take longer than expected to get your body back? Does your stomach ever look better? Does it just differ for C Sections?

Ugh I just feel defeated! Wah!

February 16th, 2013, 07:35 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
I worked out through my whole pregnancy. Not hard core the second half, but I still remained pretty active. And don't you worry one bit, it didn't seem to matter! I have no strength in my core at all and it's still hard to get out of bed and stuff like that.

I think it's going to be hard work for all of us - what is it that jules said? 9 months up and 9 months down. I try to keep that in mind.

And can I just say I'm jealous that you've been cleared to exercise!
MammaWannaBe likes this.

February 16th, 2013, 07:44 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i havent had a c-section but after DS1 my tummy did eventually go back to normal. it does take a little bit of time. you have to give your body a chance to recover (especially after a c-section since that is major surgery!) Our skin stretched out slowly over a period of 9-10 months and as much as I wish it would just immediately go back to how it was pre-baby that doesnt usually happen. and to the rare person that does have a perfect body 2wks post baby...well... we hate them

Its a frustrating and at times defeating process but you will be back to your old self in the blink of an eye! Youre not going through this alone, just keep doing what youre doing and enjoy little vivi!

oh and about the linea negra (that dark line) mine never disappeared after DS1 but it did fade
MammaWannaBe likes this.

February 16th, 2013, 07:57 PM
In trying to remember that 5 1/2 weeks post baby is not a long time it's just hard to not get discouraged and feel self-conscious.

Lol you'll be cleared soon enough and then it's finding time to work out that's the problem! Also it's just hard to work around this new body and get it going again. I've never gone through anything like this so I don't really know where to begin but I figured some arm weights and ab exercises and some yoga positions tonight was a start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursingmama View Post
i havent had a c-section but after DS1 my tummy did eventually go back to normal. it does take a little bit of time. you have to give your body a chance to recover (especially after a c-section since that is major surgery!) Our skin stretched out slowly over a period of 9-10 months and as much as I wish it would just immediately go back to how it was pre-baby that doesnt usually happen. and to the rare person that does have a perfect body 2wks post baby...well... we hate them

Its a frustrating and at times defeating process but you will be back to your old self in the blink of an eye! Youre not going through this alone, just keep doing what youre doing and enjoy little vivi!

oh and about the linea negra (that dark line) mine never disappeared after DS1 but it did fade
I have a feeling mine is here to stay. I had a huge belly so unless I had a tummy tuck in the operating room, I did not go back to tight tummy shape (I wonder if I can order that option next time I'm in there lol just kidding!)
nursingmama likes this.

February 16th, 2013, 08:59 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I remember attempting to do a situp after DS. I literally could not do one. I felt like the biggest weakling. But, after a couple weeks, I was able to again. It just takes time. Our stomach muscles were so stretched out for so long. Then that is very suddenly gone, and it's a huge adjustment for our bodies. You'll get there.

And my linea negra from my son stuck around for a couple months maybe? And then didn't show up at all this time around. weird.
MammaWannaBe likes this.

February 16th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Peytonsmomma
can i pop in and say something? im from the 0ct 12 pr, with my daughter almost 4 years ago, i had a vag birth, with my son i had a emergency csection...and i can tell you i know exactly how you feel! i promise it does go away with time, i was trying to explain to my friend that even tho i weigh less now than pre prego i still wear the same size jeans as i did when i was prego...he spread my waist, hips you name it! hang in there!
MammaWannaBe likes this.
February 16th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Expecting #1
My linea negra didn't show up until after I gave birth and it got its darkest 2 wks pp. It's the strangest thing and oh so unattractive. You will get there, it just takes time. I got cleared to run again last Monday and still haven't gone out for a run, so you are one step ahead of me by finding time to get in a workout!!

I worked out and ran/walked my pregnancy, mostly walked, but I think I got used to lounging around and now getting up off my butt is harder. I just feel lazier, but then again less sleep and caring for a newborn may have sonething to do with it. Every spare minute I get, I enjoy just lounging around and decompressing sans baby, I guess I'll just have to turn some of that time to workout time.

February 16th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Host of March '10 PR
I haven't had a csection but I can tell you that even without, a saggy, stretched out stomach is pretty normal. With dd1 I struggled afterwards but a super weak core. There are special excersizes you can do to try to start strengthening your abs back up. I forget the name of it, but in some women the ab muscles literally pull apart and need lots of work to get back together. The name of the condition escapes me right now but I think I suffered a touch of that with my first pregnancy. Let me go google what it's called.
February 16th, 2013, 09:54 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadieBug View Post
I forget the name of it, but in some women the ab muscles literally pull apart and need lots of work to get back together. The name of the condition escapes me right now but I think I suffered a touch of that with my first pregnancy. Let me go google what it's called.
Diastasis recti... that's what you mean, yes?

Mine looks awful too. My linea negra is starting to fade a little except inside my belly button- it looks like I never clean it -eww!!

I've been walking and it must be helping somewhat because people keep complimenting me on my weight loss. I don't see it when I look at my belly though- it's a wrinkly mess.

If I remember right, it does get better after time. The stretch marks never completely disappeared for me after DD but they did get a bit less noticeable.

February 17th, 2013, 10:16 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
I kept sucking in my gut for the first three weeks after pregnancy, while walking, sitting and laying. I was afraid to try ab exercises, so that was all I could do. I just would use all my strength to pull in my ab muscles and hold. I'm now 4 weeks PP and started working on sit-ups. I'm up to 40 in a minute, only about 15 less than I could do pre-pregnancy. I'd highly recommend sucking in those stomach muscles to start. I did eve have a bit of diastalis recti, but the sucking in seems to have cleared that up.

However, my stomach is inches bigger than it was, and much flabbier. I have to remember it is a process!
MammaWannaBe likes this.
February 17th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't worry as you know I've had all c-sections and after my 3rd I got down to the lowest weight I had been since high school. It just takes time, patience and work. You will get there.
MammaWannaBe likes this.

February 17th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks ladies for sharing your experiences, it's good to know I am not alone. It's harder than I thought to see your body change. I love my baby and am so thankful I was able to have a healthy pregnancy that ended with a healthy baby, but it still doesn't change that I don't like what I see in the mirror and I get down on myself because of it. I'm going to try to do a little bit each day and work back up there. It's just hard to give up lounging and sleep when she sleeps and turn that into workout time!

If anyone finds any good ab exercises that works for them, or exercises in general, let me know! (I am doing the holding in my ab thing as we speak Beaniemarie haha! : ) )

February 18th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm glad to know I am not alone in this nightmare. I have been having a lot of issues with my PP body shape as well. I've spent my entire life under 125 lbs and right now I am 148 lbs! Because I can't accept this new body very well at ALL! I am thick around the middle and it sucks. I've resorted to wearing my maternity jeans until I can get back into my regular jeans. I do have one pair of khaki's I can fit into, but that's hardly enough for a wardrobe. I'm at a loss... I don't know if I should buy new clothes and just accept that this is the way things will be for a while or if I should keep working to lose the weight and avoid purchasing clothes until I can get back into my regular clothes. I had a c-section, too, and that's caused me a lot of problems on the recovery. My issues are the same as yours...the sagging belly, dark, dark line and more around the middle than I would care to admit. It's went down a lot since I had David, but the problem is that I can't breastfeed (not making enough milk) and that has caused my weight loss after birth to be a LOT slower than I would like it to be. I feel for ya, Sister!
MammaWannaBe likes this.

February 19th, 2013, 11:21 AM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With all the stretch marks I got during the pregnancy, I already threw in the white towel about hoping my body will ever look good again. Im dropping weight, but it just seems pointless to even try because it will still look gross. At least maybe I will look semi-normal with clothes on! lol

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
February 19th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Yeah my stomach is totally ugly, I'm fairly certain I will never be in a bikini ever again (not that I was beforehand) but now I'm afraid I won't even be able to wear a tankini with all this excess skin! I'm trying to remember that it took 9 months to get this way so I can't expect miracles. But we live in such a get it right now society that it's hard to be patient with my body! I'm just trying to dress the figure I have for now in looser tops and leggings to make myself feel good and focus on my positive physical attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtapolapocet View Post
I'm glad to know I am not alone in this nightmare. I have been having a lot of issues with my PP body shape as well. I've spent my entire life under 125 lbs and right now I am 148 lbs! Because I can't accept this new body very well at ALL! I am thick around the middle and it sucks. I've resorted to wearing my maternity jeans until I can get back into my regular jeans. I do have one pair of khaki's I can fit into, but that's hardly enough for a wardrobe. I'm at a loss... I don't know if I should buy new clothes and just accept that this is the way things will be for a while or if I should keep working to lose the weight and avoid purchasing clothes until I can get back into my regular clothes. I had a c-section, too, and that's caused me a lot of problems on the recovery. My issues are the same as yours...the sagging belly, dark, dark line and more around the middle than I would care to admit. It's went down a lot since I had David, but the problem is that I can't breastfeed (not making enough milk) and that has caused my weight loss after birth to be a LOT slower than I would like it to be. I feel for ya, Sister!
girlfriend. Buy. New. Clothes.

You don't have to spend a fortune, but dress the body you will most likely have for a few more months give or take. My mom forced me to get leggings a size up (I have pretty thin legs for the most part) and invest in some flowy tops to mask the pooch and it really did help my confidence level. There is something about knowing you are not in maternity clothes that makes you feel better --helped me at least. What I wear a lot are tank tops that have a pattern on them to mask the stomach and either a loose top over that, maybe with a cut out of a cropped top that I wouldn't dare to wear sans tank top, or a cardigan, especially the ballet cardigans over my tank top that are flowy and help hide the stomach without overwhelming my figure with too much extra material.

Make yourself feel good now! Buy some clothes, have a fashion show for your hubby!
Xtapolapocet likes this.

February 19th, 2013, 01:23 PM
missadie222's Avatar Go Your Own Way mama2b
I DID work out the whole time and did 15-20 pushups up until delivery. Kept my core strong except with my birth complication I've been sitting on my BUTT the past 6 weeks. My stomach shrank fast except for NOW. I'm left with this pooch of thick flab.... ugghhh. I have ten pounds to lose and I can tell it IS NOT going to be easy. AND I'M BREASTFEEDING, it's not doing crap as far as losing this last weight.

SO... I think a good alternative is - start working out now! I guess that's what I'm gonna do, I think I can at least power walk and do pushups (possibly situps)... but I can't run. I hope one day I will be able to again. I want to get in shape again so that by the time I go into my surgery to repair my episiotomy and fistula I will be in tip top health..........

MAN. Childbirth is far more intense than I realized whilst pregs.
MammaWannaBe likes this.

Vyvian Utah Everson Spark born January 10, 2013

February 20th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post
girlfriend. Buy. New. Clothes.

You don't have to spend a fortune, but dress the body you will most likely have for a few more months give or take. My mom forced me to get leggings a size up (I have pretty thin legs for the most part) and invest in some flowy tops to mask the pooch and it really did help my confidence level. There is something about knowing you are not in maternity clothes that makes you feel better --helped me at least. What I wear a lot are tank tops that have a pattern on them to mask the stomach and either a loose top over that, maybe with a cut out of a cropped top that I wouldn't dare to wear sans tank top, or a cardigan, especially the ballet cardigans over my tank top that are flowy and help hide the stomach without overwhelming my figure with too much extra material.

Make yourself feel good now! Buy some clothes, have a fashion show for your hubby!
LOL Thanks!

I guess I am just having trouble admitting I will be larger for a while. My Hubby and my Mother both say they can tell I am losing weight, but it simply is NOT fast enough for me. I've always been very slim and trim; right now I feel like a pudgy slob and that is a VERY hard thing to accept. Especially when it comes to having to buy anything that's larger in size. I broke down and purchased one pair of khaki's (as I stated above) and I cried in the dressing room when they fit me. All I want to do is get back to my normal size, I cannot wait for the Spring/Summer so I can get out and walk with the baby and try to get some of this weight off of me. Ugh! It does help to know I am not in this very irritating boat alone, but I feel for every single woman out there struggling with these same issues -- it's horrifying for any woman to lose her figure. Even if it's only temporary, we are all struggling with this post-baby experience. Our mother's managed and I knwo we will...I just hope it happens quickly. lol
MammaWannaBe likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search