Need some advice

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mal91011
  • 1 Post By Babyschultz
  • 1 Post By mal91011
  • 2 Post By marybeth76

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2013, 05:11 PM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
Evan is driving me today! He will not sleep for more than 30 minutes be it in his swing, my arms, the pnp, insode the boppy on the couch, or after a ride in the car. He's been fed and changed and I've given him appropriate attention. Is it ok to lay him down and let him cry himself to sleep if I know I've addressed all the problem areas? I feel bad about it but DH and my sister are telling me to just let him cry. The pitch of the cry he lets off after being this exhausted is heartbreaking but I don't know what else to do to get him to have more than 30 minutes of sleep. and a drink after the day he's put me through!

February 17th, 2013, 05:38 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aw I'm sorry Hun! It sounds like you have done all you can do an he might just be cranky and overtired. I'd say let him cry it out and maybe leave the house if you can and let DH listen for him. I totally understand how hard it is to listen to your child cry because it somehow alway sounds like they are in pain even if they are not. If you've done all you can, take a step back, leave the house if you can or just go take a hot shower to de stress (and have that drink )

You can do it mama! Tomorrow is a new day.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
February 17th, 2013, 05:45 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
How many weeks is he? (on my phone, can't see any tickers)

I believe from start I've read at this age cio doesn't work. They're too young to self sooth and at this age are usually crying for a reason, be it hunger, over tiredness, pain, etc. Hope you guys can figure out whats going on with Evan. Poor guy!
Babyschultz likes this.

February 17th, 2013, 06:26 PM
He's 6 weeks tomorrow. He just had a 4oz bottle 40 mins ago and now he's wailing at the top of his lungs. All i can think of is a car ride at least he sleeps through it. As soon as i bring him in the house he wakes up from it. I drove around 45 minutes earlier! I know it's exhaustion i just dont know how to fix it. He did this like 3 weeks ago too but thee car ride worked and he slept for like 5 hours after it.

February 17th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't let him cry for to long at this age. He can't self sooth and relies on you to help him. Hope you find something that works.
mommysc2 likes this.

February 17th, 2013, 07:44 PM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Try the white noise. Turn it on loud and it should calm him. Its the only thing that gets me through some nights. Go on youtube, they have it on there !

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
February 17th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Well i let him cry for 2 5 minute periods and comforted him in between. Picked him up after second bout and he's been asleep on my chest since. Im not even taking the chance of putting him down. I think white noise is the only thing we didn't try. I do have a noise app on my kindle. Y'all thanks for the advice and thoughts. It's been a very trying day. Poor baby was so darn tired.

February 17th, 2013, 09:33 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
I'm glad you were finally able to get him calmed down. It's tough work being a little baby, this is a big world!

Now try to get some r&r for yourself if you can!!
minalyn likes this.

February 18th, 2013, 04:27 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mollie does that. We are breastfeeding so I'm basically feeding her all the time either for true hunger or just soothing. I know it won't last forever. Car rides and white noise are good ideas. Hairdryer on cool and "airplane noise" on the iPad app work best. I read somewhere that fussiness peaks at 6 weeks so I guess that could be it too.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

February 18th, 2013, 07:03 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
I def wouldn't let her cry it out at this age but I know how frusterating it can be. Sophis gets like this at times too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysc2 View Post
I def wouldn't let her cry it out at this age but I know how frusterating it can be. Sophis gets like this at times too.
I mean "him"...sorry!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
February 18th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I am against CIO at any age, but I for sure would not leave a newborn to cry himself to exhaustion so he'd sleep. Now, sometimes there is nothing you can do about their crying. My daughter would cry and cry and cry when she was a newborn and I'd just sit there and hold her and let her know I was there, but nothing I did got her to stop crying. I can remember sitting with her for an hour and a half while she screamed until she finally fell asleep. I cried too and I really felt like I might lose my mind, but the good news is that it was a phase that DID pass.

They really need us right now to soothe them and to build that trust that we will hear and care for their needs. You don't want him to learn that you won't respond to his needs at such a young age. I know it's hard and makes you feel crazy. It won't last forever though. Hang in there mama.

Lincoln sometimes will stir after a short time of sleeping and I will respond to him IMMEDIATELY, before he's fully awake, and lots of times I can get him back to sleep for a longer period of time. I might pat him or stick a bottle in his mouth or give him his paci, etc. but usually I can get him into a deeper sleep. I think sometimes they wake up after such a short period of sleep when they're trying to transition into a deeper sleep.
joellejello and mojomama like this.

February 18th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Well the good news is he's back to himself today. This has only happened once before and like I said the car ride worked. Trust me I cried, it was HEARTBREAKING!

February 19th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mika does this all day long. He wont sleep for mote the 10-20 minutes then he is awake and cranky for hours.

My Moby wrap has saved my sanity.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
February 19th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I recommend looking into the Baby K'Tan. I LOVE this carrier so much I just ordered one for my sitter as well. Peyton can be screaming at the top of her lungs and the minute I put her in this thing she falls asleep. I use it to get ready in the mornings, to fix dinner, while I grocery shop, etc. I can even nurse in the darn thing while I eat my own dinner. Sometimes I have to walk a little bit for the jostling to put her totally asleep in it.

Another thing to try is giving him a warm bath or putting him in the bathroom and turning on the shower. The sound of running water works magic sometimes.

My 2nd DD responded to the sound of the vacuum being on. I would literally turn the vacuum on and leave it standing running so she would sleep.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search