First Flight

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mojomama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Dee
I just booked my first flight with LO. It's a relatively short trip (one layover, 5 hours total for both flights not counting time to/from airport). I'm renting a car and planning to bring his car seat. It'll be just the two of us.

Any tips for travelling with an infant? I've read up on some blog posts and travel guides, but if there is anything you all have found helpful, I'm all ears!
February 20th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Veteran
ooooo, I'm in the same boat as you. We're leaving in a week, just me and babes. Any thoughts about nursing on the airplane?
February 20th, 2013, 04:30 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
The only time I've flown with an infant, I wore and nursed her the whole flight. Worked beautifully- the sucking meant her ears didn't hurt, being worn and at the breast meant she was quiet and didn't disturb the other passengers. The worst part of the experience was the old Indian lady sitting next to to me on the return flight, who reached inside my sling to stroke my baby's cheek while she nursed. Awkward!
razzlebaby27 likes this.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
February 21st, 2013, 10:33 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomama View Post
The worst part of the experience was the old Indian lady sitting next to to me on the return flight, who reached inside my sling to stroke my baby's cheek while she nursed. Awkward!
Oh My Gosh! That would be very awkward!
February 21st, 2013, 10:50 AM
Super Mommy
def use a carrier. It helps a lot. Just remember you cant wear it through security (yes all baby blankets have to go too!) and also for take off I remember they wouldnt let me wear DS. He had to be out. I will probably be booking our first trip soon for beginning of April.

Not looking forward to it.

Thank Kiliki for the siggy!!

February 21st, 2013, 10:52 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Good thread! We probably will take our first trip in July to go home for my Dad's 70th birthday. It's a longish fight so any tips are appreciated!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
February 22nd, 2013, 02:37 PM
Dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomama View Post
The worst part of the experience was the old Indian lady sitting next to to me on the return flight, who reached inside my sling to stroke my baby's cheek while she nursed. Awkward!
Oh no! (I have noticed since having a baby that old ladies have terrible boundaries.)

I've read that I should bring the car seat through security and check it at the gate, like I would a stroller. Anyone do this? I can't find information on the airline's website. Also, recommendations on car seat travel cases?
February 22nd, 2013, 04:16 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Hi popping in from October 12 PR..I just traveled with my 4 month old and it was not stressful at all! I nursed him the entire 3 hour flight and he was happy as can be with that set up lol. I checked the stroller and car seat right at the gate. Blankets do have to go through X-ray so I suggest putting blankets in the diaper bag or another bag because the trays you put them in are filthy. If you are bringing any bottles of breasmilk that also goes through X-ray but does not have to be in a bag. They may want to test it by putting it in a box looking thing that detects explosives or chemicals. I refused it and did the strip test. They don't touch the milk at all but I did request the agent to change his gloves. I changed baby's diaper right before we boarded because there is no where to change on the plane...at least there wasn't on ours. You can call ahead of time and ask about a changing station on your flight. I also brought disinfectant wipes to wipe down the arm rests, seat belt, and anything else baby may touch or his blankets may touch. I'm not a germaphobe but I know they don't clean it! Good luck!!

February 23rd, 2013, 06:26 PM
RobynL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We took our first trip when Dex was 4 weeks old from San Fran to New Orleans. He slept almost the enter time, plus nursed a bit. It was super easy at the newborn age! I held him in a carrier the whole time.

Also we brought a snap and go carseat/ stroller combo. You have to put car seat and stroller through x ray machine, but you can check them at the gate. Super easy!

Thanks Vicki for my always awesome siggy!
February 23rd, 2013, 11:33 PM
Veteran
Yap, I agree with using a carrier so you will have a hands free to carrier other things and with an easy on/off carrier so it would be faster to remove it when the security ask that your carrier be checked . With regards to nursing, I also nurse in my Action baby carrier even in public though they don't even notice me when I do it.. lol (I use the head cover). . so it would really be helpful to have one. Goodluck
February 28th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Dee
Great suggestions. Thank you so much, everyone!
March 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Veteran
Just got back from our trip - the flights went perfect!
I used a front carrier and had a button down shirt. I un-buttoned the buttons that allow access to nursing and pretty much let her have free reign when she wanted, and the front carrier kept me covered. She didn't make a peep the entire time! Four take offs and landings! yay! The last flight we were on a really small plane and when I stood up at the end every body started commenting how they didn't even know there was a baby on board!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search