Question about breastfeeding and thrush

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2013, 10:09 AM
mrssws's Avatar Veteran
Yesterday I took LO to the pedi and he has thrush of the mouth. It is painful for him to latch on so I been pumping and feeding it to him in a bottle. The pedi said it should completely clear up within 14 days. I wanted to know if LO doesn't feed from my breast will he forget to latch back on?? And should I go to the doctor just to make sure I don't have it?? Should I wait the 14 days before I put him back on my breast so he won't pass it to me? Sorry for the stupid questions I'm a FTM and the LC hasn't return any of my calls yet and I am COMPLETELY CLUELESS.

February 20th, 2013, 11:31 AM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
Treat the baby and yourself, but keep nursing. 14 days is too long to expect a baby to remember how to latch properly if it's only being bottle fed in that time. I use gentian violet when I have thrush (painted on the nipple and areola, then nurse baby immediately to coat the inside of the mouth).

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (12), Selene (8), Garvin (6), Gwen (3), Thomas (21m), and a bonus surprise, due 29 June 2015
February 20th, 2013, 01:06 PM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
WE have thrush. I know I have it because BF was painless and started hurting when she started showing symptoms. My doctor and both (yes both) lactation consultants I am working with said DO NOT stop BF. Chances are you have thrush in your nipples. Your doctor should have treated you too, otherwise you'll just give it back to your LO when he/she is cured.

We are both using Nystatin, her in her mouth, me on my nipples.

I've been advised to wash every bra and shirt that comes in contact with my nipples in the hottest water possible, and to boil all her bottle (we do one bottle a day to prepare for daycare) and pacifier after each use as she can get it back from those items.

Also, if you treat him and immediately BF, you'll get some benefit from the medicine.

Thrush is hard to get rid of. I'm told we can expect possible failure and alternative treatments with Diflucan and/or gentian violet.

My LC said I could use actual Monistat on my nipples, but since the doctor gave my nystatin, I haven't done that.

After the first bit of treatment, his mouth should start feeling better for BF. I'd try every time, and offer a bottle only if he won't latch. Even if you only get through a half a feeding.

I can't believe how much work and hell this has added to each of my days, just praying we get rid of it with our first treatment.

I even had to buy a second set of breastpump parts as I pump in the morning and at night, and didn't want to have to boil at night to have things ready for the morning. It's the last thing I do at night, and the first in the morning.
February 20th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Linc has it too, and I haven't BF since we started treating it. I'm not advising that, it's just that I personally don't mind pumping and I was having to pump after every nursing anyway because he wasn't nursing effectively. He has never been a great nurser so I don't feel like I'm ruining anything. When the thrush is gone I'll put him back on the breast but if I need to keep pumping I don't mind.

He also got a rash on his bottom from it and that was terrible too. It's a huge PITA but thankfully it's getting better.

Those of you treating with nystatin, does your baby act like it's killing him when you give it to him? Lincoln HATES it, it almost makes me cry every time.

February 20th, 2013, 03:46 PM
mrssws's Avatar Veteran
Thanks. I was researching it last night and wondered why the pedi didn't tell me I could've had it as well. He had prescribed diflucan for LO. My doctor called a prescription in this afternoon for nyastin. I just need to remind myself to not stop breastfeeding=)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search