Gym Mommies!

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By lovelyenchanted
  • 1 Post By minalyn
  • 1 Post By LadieBug
  • 1 Post By mal91011
  • 1 Post By MammaWannaBe
  • 2 Post By lovelyenchanted
  • 1 Post By minalyn
  • 1 Post By mommysc2
  • 2 Post By kbpeanut
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut
  • 1 Post By mal91011
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have some probably stupid questions lol. I've never been to the gym so I'm not really sure what your supposed to do there!

I know I'll for sure be walking on the tread mill for atleast 30min. Should I do the tread mill and elliptical, just one or rotate on them? Do you do any of the machines to work your arms? If so how do you know if you're doing it right or for long enough? Do most gyms have things to work your abs or do you just do crunches at home? Do most gyms generally how someone to show you how to use the stuff the first time or two?

The one I'm going to has a tanning bed too so I know I'll for sure be using it and like I said the tread mill but I want to work my arms too because they are flabby!

TIA!

OH and what do you wear?! I have several sweat pants but they'll be too hot once I get to moving. I have 4 pairs of comfy pants but one I have hard time keeping up so I wouldn't want to wear them and have to be pulling them up alot and then 1 pair has a hole in the butt and the other has bleach stains on the legs because I just wear them around the house and to clean in. So that just leaves me one pair of pants. Should I go to walmart or target and invest in some cheap work out pants and a couple really comfy t's or tanks?

February 20th, 2013, 04:21 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
I used to do 30 mins on the treadmill then switched to the eliptical... but I never made it to 30 mins on that, lol. The eliptical is definitely something you have to build up to, time wise. And I stopped going before that ever happened.

If you ask, they should definitely show you how to use things. And most gyms do have machines for your arms.

When I went, I usually did treadmill, eliptical, thigh machine, ab machine, and arm machines. You can also do crunches at home, but I never would. Just because if I'm at home, I"m not really thinking about exercise, where at the gym I am, if that makes sense. I just personally can never find time if I'm at home.

As far as workout clothes, I usually just wore men's gym shorts and a bigger T-shirt. And a sports bra. MAKE SURE you have one of those... for your own comfort. Seriously. Even in winter, I wore shorts... I just get too warm when I'm working out. Of the very few times I wore pants, they were just thin yoga style pants. I liked the mens' short because they were big and comfy and long, so they still covered a good amount of my flesh, lol.

I wish I could find time to go back to the gym. Maybe in a few weeks.
MIL2lissy8 and Sawyers_Mommy like this.

February 20th, 2013, 04:30 PM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
Totally ask someone and they'll show you. You don't want to be in any extra pain from doing an exercise wrong. And I agree about the elliptical, takes some building up time wise but I don't see an issue doing both.

I do ab stuff at home. I have this bar that connects to the door and it's convienantly located right next to my bed. I'm not ready for real sit ups yet so I'm just doing other ab stuff. I'm not too good with machines either so I just do lift fee weights. I bought this Biggest Loser fitness book and follow the routine from it.

Good luck
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

February 20th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks ladies! I def don't want to wear pants, I get extremly hot just from walking so I think I'll just buy a pair or two of some stretchy capris.

I'll ask them when I go for the first time, which if everything works out like planned will be tomorrow! I didn't even walk a mile the other day and my calves were killing me for two days! SO I def don't want to be sore on top of being sore from not being in shape lol

February 20th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Host of March '10 PR
I like both the treadmill and the elliptical, some days I do both, other days I focus on just one. Running on the treadmill is a better workout IMO. You can also do intervals on the treadmill- walk a bit, then run a short stretch, then walk, and so on. This will help you build endurance and will give you a good workout.
I wear yoga pants to the gym. In the summer I'll wear shorts but its cold right now! Plus I have no clue when I last shaved my legs
February 20th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Oh lordy I wouldn't be able to run right now! I'd have to work up to that lol.

Ha I shaved this morning but only because I had a dr appointment and didn't know what he'd be looking at LOL my legs are too fat to wear shorts though

February 20th, 2013, 07:08 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
I usually do 30-60 minutes on either the elliptical or the treadmill. Then I do various weight machines and either ab machines or situps using the stability ball.

I like to workout in pants and a tank top. I hate working out in shorts because I always feel like they're riding up. I do have a couple pairs of bremuda shorts I will work out in.

If you're new at a gym they should show you how to use the machines.

February 20th, 2013, 07:13 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to go to the gym and do like 30 min on the elliptical. Do intervals because its good to switch things up and go up in incline to really work your glutes. Then I would do either legs or arms and do exercises involving my own body weight, free weights, or machines. Some gyms have like a set up where you can be assessed by a trainer and get like a few sessions with one. I think it would be beneficial so you don't waste your time on bad practices and so you don't hurt yourself. I usually just do ab work at home while watching the tv

Good for you getting out there and working out mama! You may have inspired me to get my butt to the gym tomorrow night (we'll see!)

February 20th, 2013, 07:24 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers_Mommy View Post
Oh lordy I wouldn't be able to run right now! I'd have to work up to that lol.

Ha I shaved this morning but only because I had a dr appointment and didn't know what he'd be looking at LOL my legs are too fat to wear shorts though

Have you ever thought about doing the "Couch to 5k" program?

Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan | C25K Mobile App

That link gives you the running plan day by day, and supposedly, if you do the program faithfully every week, by the 3nd of the 9th week you will be able to run/jog 3 miles. This is the program I plan on doing (someday)! I've been saying it for years, but running is something I've wanted to be able to do for years, it's so goo for your health (other than wearing on your joints -- but being overweight will do the same thing).

February 20th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I'll have to ask them if they do the trainer thing. I have seen it at some gyms but not sure about this one. That would be nice though!

We should start a gym/fitness/weight loss stickied thread! I'm sure it'd help motivate us all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyenchanted View Post
Have you ever thought about doing the "Couch to 5k" program?

Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan | C25K Mobile App

That link gives you the running plan day by day, and supposedly, if you do the program faithfully every week, by the 3nd of the 9th week you will be able to run/jog 3 miles. This is the program I plan on doing (someday)! I've been saying it for years, but running is something I've wanted to be able to do for years, it's so goo for your health (other than wearing on your joints -- but being overweight will do the same thing).
I've never heard of it but will check it out, thanks!

I've always enjoyed running but I never did it for exercise. I can't jog lol. But I'm so out of shape that I would have to work up to running

February 20th, 2013, 09:10 PM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
I like that thread idea!!

February 21st, 2013, 06:38 AM
We should get someone to set it up! One of you more talented ladies who are better at coming up with ways to set up those types of thread

February 21st, 2013, 07:30 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
I used to go to the gym right before I got pregnant! I hated taking classes, I loved to work out on my own. I went 3 days a week in the morning and this is what I did and it worked!!

30 minutes of cardio - I would start off walking on the treadmill and then running, the gym had a movie theatre room so it def distracted me.

20 minutes of weight training - arm machines, leg machines and then I would head to the mat and work on my abs.

I personally hated the eliptical but everyone is different. In the beginning you have to take it easy and start slow!! Very important! Do they offer a free personal training session, this is where they explain everything to you and show you how to operate the machines? They will try to sell you personal training session but this is very expensive and not nec!

I actually have my membership on hold right now so I need to get back but the timing is hard because I am home all day with the baby and then when my husband gets home it's dinner, homework and everything else....!

Good for you getting starting and good luck to you!!! Don't quit and keep it up and most importantly try to eat healthy and you will see that weight pour off and you will feel soooo good!!!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
February 21st, 2013, 12:05 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I have a lot to add to this but it would take forever on my phone. Maybe if Bax stays asleep through my pumping I could get to a computer for a few min to write more! I love the idea of a sticky for working out and getting back in shape too. I think maybe we could also include recipe and food ideas also? Just a general "back to life" thread of sorts!

In case I can't get to my computer, a few quick thoughts:

Capris are awesome. Find something that is breathable for tops and bottoms since you know you get warm.

I love treadmills but that's cause I'm a runner. After my 9th knee surgery I finally had to give up running except for the occasional 10k or half marathon. Now if I go to the gym the elliptical is doctor preferred for my knees. When I need more of a challenge or to switch it up I do the elliptical backwards.

For sure ask to have someone show you how to use things. That's what they are there for and they will be more than happy to show you. Plus on some machines you can hurt yourself if you aren't doing it right

Hope that helps!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
February 22nd, 2013, 04:12 AM
Can we make a whole new board for it? I see a lot of other months have whole boards dedicated to healthy living post baby.

February 22nd, 2013, 10:40 AM
Ooo I like the recipe idea! I'm always looking for quick but good healthy meals!

February 22nd, 2013, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal91011 View Post
Can we make a whole new board for it? I see a lot of other months have whole boards dedicated to healthy living post baby.
Like a subforum? That's what I was thinking rather than a sticky. We can consolidate some of the others like our belly + ultrasound pics to make room if needed

February 23rd, 2013, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpeanut View Post

Like a subforum? That's what I was thinking rather than a sticky. We can consolidate some of the others like our belly + ultrasound pics to make room if needed
Yep thats what I meant!! Call it sugar free something or another.

How many subforums are we allowed to have? Can we get a second private subforum for baby pictures? Just curious!!

February 23rd, 2013, 04:03 AM
Sugar free!! Love it! I can't remember the limits in SFs. I know we had talked about doing one for baby pics too so me and Rachel can figure out the best way to org all that soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search