Diaper rash

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2013, 10:33 AM
Nugget0612's Avatar First time Mommy
Has anyone else's LO had a diaper rash yet?

Annabella will be 5 weeks old tomorrow and today I noticed around her little butt that it is really red like in a circle around her butthole (sorry if tmi) I asked the nurse who looked at it today (Annabella went in for a weight check) and the nurse said it looks like the start of one but isn't Bad. There's no bumps or it isn't raised etc. she told me to put diaper rash cream on it. I feel like a bad mom that I might have caused this.even though I change her diaper constantly!!! I don't know a thing about diaper rash...is it common or am I doing something wrong?? She's been on same diapers and wipes since birth and we never had a problem and like I said I change her a lot and never let her sit in a dirty diaper.

Now with the cream I have destin and I just applied it thickly on there. Is that all you do? I felt weird sealing her diaper up with white stuff all over her down there. Didn't seem right to do but this is all foreign to me anyway. Lol I just read what tube said to do. So how long does diaper rash usually take to clear up? I so wish she didn't get this but part of it I guess. If it gets worse or cream doesn't seem to work I do know to call the doctor of course. Geez being a first time mom isn't easy for sure haha.
February 22nd, 2013, 10:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No diaper rash here yet, but some poop is more acidic than others and some skin is more sensitive as well. My middle daughter got diaper rash all the time. Especially if on medication or if she was teething and my daycare changes diapers once an hour.

The rash will heal faster if it is allowed to breath a little and you make sure her skin is 100% dry from wipes before putting on her diaper.

Burt's Bees makes an amazing diaper rash cream that works wonders.

February 22nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh mama, babies' bums get red and rashy all the time. Just put the cream on at every diaper change and you should notice an improvement super fast.

February 22nd, 2013, 11:01 AM
Veteran
I second the Burt's Bees or Triple paste works very well too! In the future, you can continue to use the ointments as a protective barrier even if your LO doesn't have a rash! Hope she is better soon!
February 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Joshua had it bad a few weeks ago because he was on a pooping spree. Literally like 7 poops a day. It was bad though, like very red, bumpy, and he would scream when I had to change yet another poopy diaper. I used destin just about every single time. I would clump it on there spread it around and then just fasten the diaper. It went away in about a week, but it was terrible. If yours gets bad, the dr also reccommended having them soak in some water and not put a diaper on right away after the bath, let it air out. But if its so little now, and you put on some cream, it probably wont get that bad. It happens all the time, dont feel guilty about it!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
February 22nd, 2013, 12:21 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Super Mommy
Felix had one before he was even a week old because he was pooping CONSTANTLY. We just slathered on the Desitin and it cleared up after a few days. DS1 has terribly sensitive skin and gets diaper rashes all the time, and has since he was born. I had to get prescription cream from the pediatrician it was so bad I cant wait for him to be ready for potty training because once he is out of diapers his poor bum will get a break!

February 22nd, 2013, 02:28 PM
Dee
J doesn't get the all over rash, just a little fissure here and there. He poops with every diaper and has really sensitive skin, so even with 12 changes a day it's tough to avoid. I have a cream from the hospital that blocks it to give it a chance to heal, but his ped took a look at it yesterday and suggested I go with old school Desitin because that has the highest zinc oxide content and she said that will help clear it up the fastest.
February 22nd, 2013, 04:15 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
Eli had this the other week when he was pooping every hour. His poor bottom had blisters on it it got so bad When I called the nurse she told me to stop the Desitin and go to the store and buy Lotrimin AF - the same stuff you would use for jock itch or athletes foot. Cleared it up within a day! But that was for a pretty extreme case...you might be fine with the Desitin/ Butt Paste.

February 23rd, 2013, 01:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We had to do the Lotrimin AF also because Lincoln had a yeast diaper rash. It was awful, so red and bumpy and nothing I did made it better, until I got the Lotrimin then it was gone SO fast.

February 23rd, 2013, 07:11 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
I have just discovered that I LOVE Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm. It's an olive oil base, rather than petroleum, and has lavender and tea tree oils in it, so it's good for regular irritation type rashes as well as fungal (yeast, aka thrush), and prevents rashes as well. Thomas had a rash in his first week of life, but I started putting this stuff on at every change, and he has gorgeous skin now :-)

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
February 24th, 2013, 03:45 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomama View Post
I have just discovered that I LOVE Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm.
I bet this is great. I use Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Butter and LOVE it!

We ha e only seen one tiny hint of diaper rash so far and that was early on. I have several types of creams on hand - boudreaux's, desitin, a&d... But the one that has worked like a charm is called Paladin. It's made in my hometown and my cousin who has 2 boys gave it to me for part of a shower gift. She said it was the best and so far, she's right!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
February 26th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran
I use a Norwex Baby body cloth instead of wipes. Haven't had any diaper rash at all. It is amazing. The cloth is antibaterial as well! So worth it for me! Also not putting any cream on him that makes him cry because it burns. If anyone is interested just let me know! I love the cloth
February 26th, 2013, 11:14 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Sophia has not had a rash yet but I use Vaseline at every diaper to change to prevent a rash. I did this with my other 2 kids and it works wonders and they barely ever got a rash! I have been doing this at every diaper change for Sophia and so far so good. I have on hand Balmex that worked well my my other kids would occasioanlly get a rash.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
February 26th, 2013, 01:47 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
Lauryn had one before she was a week old too. She started having constant runny poops, and her little butt was literally raw.

I tried the Desitin, but it didn't do much, and is such a pain to clean off. Someone recommended PINXAV to me (it's a diaper rash cream, sold OTC, but around here you have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter) and I now swear by this stuff.

Why Pinxav is the best Diaper Ointment

It has zinc oxide in it, but it also has aloe, clove oil, lanolin and other vitamins and minerals.

And it can be used for so much! From their website:
Quote:
Pinxav can also be used for everyday first aid to protect skin from minor scrapes, burns, cuts, sunburn and other skin irritations such as eczema, chicken pox, poison ivy/sumac/oak, insect bites, minor burns and chafing.
It's pink just like calamine lotion (which is also zinc oxide) and cleans off so much easier than Desitin.

My aunt told me to use mineral oil, she swore by it. She would keep cotton balls moistened with it at the changing station and used it at every change to prevent diaper rash but she said it also cleared it up the fastest. I don't like putting stuff on her at every change so I haven't tried it, and I love the PINXAV, but I may try it in the future... hopefully I won't get too much opportunity for it.

But don't feel bad at all! Babies get diaper rash all the time! And it's not always skin irritation that causes it either. ODD would get a diaper rash from teething, when she was getting sick, etc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search