Breastfeeding issue...

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By mojomama
  • 1 Post By joellejello
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut
  • 1 Post By nursingmama
  • 1 Post By Angel.Eyes4351

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Lil_Mama2B's Avatar Veteran
So at first we had zero problems bfing. Even at first in the hospital the LC came in and said we were doing great on our own, her latch was good, supply is great. etc.. but for the past week she has started not latching right, I cant get her to open her mouth wide enough. She opens wide before actually going on my boob but as soon as she starts sucking she brings her lips closer together. anyone know how I can get her to keep her mouth open wide?!

February 27th, 2013, 02:25 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
Patience. Pull her off and try again when she does it wrong. I show Thomas what I want him to do... Idk if he really gets it, but it makes me feel better about it :-)
It's common for babies to get lazy about their latch. Tbh, I don't always correct it unless it's causing me pain.
joellejello and Lil_Mama2B like this.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
February 27th, 2013, 03:06 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, you just have to keep trying, I remember my son doing that. He also went through a period that he would just yell and scream at my breast for a good 5-10 minutes before he would settle enough to eat. It was frustrating, but it's normal and they eventually get over it. This page helped me understand a little better what he was going through...

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/chil...while-nursing/
Lil_Mama2B likes this.

February 27th, 2013, 04:42 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Yep, I agree with the others, patience. Baxter is going through a similar phase...he will open wide enough but then he'll just tug away (read: OUCH). I just pull him off calmly, refocus him for a few seconds, then try again. I also try (as hard as it is) to remain calm myself, as I'm really certain he reads my body cues/tenseness.

Hang in there!
Lil_Mama2B likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
February 27th, 2013, 09:49 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DS1 did this for a short period of time. I would just open his mouth wider with my fingers and re position him correctly. He stopped doing it after a little bit i think it is just a phase
Lil_Mama2B likes this.

February 28th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Julia is doing this too. She will latch well, then start clicking at the breast and slips down into a shallower latch. Ditto what everyone else said.
Lil_Mama2B likes this.

and introducing Julia Pearl
February 28th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Lil_Mama2B's Avatar Veteran
Thanks everyone! It is driving me crazy! espiecally the clicking noise she now makes while eating. I really need to bookmark that kellymom website

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search