Taking baby out in public.....

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Briar08
  • 1 Post By marybeth76
  • 1 Post By LadieBug
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut
  • 1 Post By RobynL
  • 1 Post By 1stbaby
  • 1 Post By swaddlestar
  • 1 Post By d_tops
  • 1 Post By Jules_loves_beaches
  • 1 Post By lovelyenchanted
  • 1 Post By minalyn
  • 1 Post By mal91011
  • 1 Post By Lintu
  • 1 Post By marybeth76
  • 1 Post By Jmcorso

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2013, 06:23 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
I have been very picky about taking Sophia anywhere and people coming over. She has only been to the doctor's office and my grandparents home twice since she has been born. She will be 8 weeks on Sunday. On Saturday we are going to my aunt's home for her birthday but it will just be a few people.

I know many of you have already been taking your LO's out based on your posts here and on facebook photos and such. I also understand that we are all from different areas with different climates. I live in New Jersey and this winter has been bad for colds and viruses and the flu here has been bad,,,!!

I was wondering if you haven't taken your LO out in public yet, when do you plan on doing it. I am really itching to go to the mall, a restaurant or anywhere with her and the family on the weekends. I feel like we are always trapped in this house and my family too on the weekends.

So, tell me what you are all doing or planning on doing!!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
February 28th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have been out since he was 3 weeks old. Thats the draw back of being the youngest of 5. We are at the dance studio 6 days a week alone.

This week he is 5 weeks old and we are making our first loong distance trips. I have taken him for hour long trips on my own with no issues, but I am not brave enough to tackle Down Town Toronto on my own. So tomorrow we are making our first long distance trek with my DH, 2 girls and Mika. Its a 6 hour round trip.
mommysc2 likes this.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
February 28th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We've been going out since he was just a few days old I guess. However, it's much warmer here! There has been a lot of sickness floating around though, and he ended up having a cold along with the rest of us when he was only 4 weeks old. That was sad

We went on a playdate yesterday and half the kids there were hacking up a lung so I'm pretty worried that we're all going to be sick in a day or two. It's just really hard to avoid though, especially with older kids because I feel like I can't imprison them in our house until summer, you know?
mommysc2 likes this.

February 28th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Host of March '10 PR
We've been going out almost every day since she came home. I go crazy if we don't get out and do a little something- big sisters dance class, the library, target. And recently ive began bringing her to drop-in childcare while i go to the gym. We are in CT so it's cold but she is super bundled up and only outside for a few seconds in the parking lot. I can't wait for it to warm up a bit more so we can go for walks! She's still never been on one! The drawbacks of being a winter baby.
mommysc2 likes this.
February 28th, 2013, 12:05 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Aside from pediatrician appointments, I have been taking Baxter to the Safari Park (zoo-like place) once a week. His doc doesn't want him in places like restaurants, grocery stores, etc. until after his first shots at 2 months, but outdoors is good for him. We do have a bad flu season here in So Cal, so I keep people's hands and faces off/away, and keep him pretty snuggled up in his carseat when I am there, but I think the fresh aire does him good. Plus, it's pretty nice here, weather-wise!
mommysc2 likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
February 28th, 2013, 12:27 PM
RobynL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We go out every day, and have since about a week or two old. My older daughter has activities daily so life must go on. Plus we live on NorCal and the weather is moderate.
mommysc2 likes this.

Thanks Vicki for my always awesome siggy!
February 28th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's interesting to see the responses from FTM to BTDT moms. Peyton has been on the go since she came home from being born. She was born on 12/23 and my older kids were staying at grandparents 1 hour away at the time, so, we left the hospital on 12/24 and drove directly to a family Christmas Eve dinner to pick them up. She has been on the go ever since. I do try to keep her in the Baby K'Tan when we go to the store and public places to keep her as protected as possible from germs.
mommysc2 likes this.

February 28th, 2013, 01:35 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
We've been going out since the day they released us from the hospital. He was at his 1st restaurant at 4 days old. We are careful as we can be in public. We keep him in his car seat and usually have the carseat canopy covering him. It keeps people from approaching him or touching him. Like you said though, the weather probably has a lot to do with it. Here in FL our winters are beautiful so I must get outside and take advantage of them before summer gets here (we don't have a spring) and it's 90+ degrees!
mommysc2 likes this.

February 28th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Dee
We've been out quite a bit since bringing him home. I wear him in a sling when we're out, so people look but don't touch, and his face and hands are right up against me. People coming to the house have been very considerate in washing their hands and not coming if they feel even a smidgen unwell, so I haven't had to do any reinforcing there.

We both seem to do better when we get out a little during the day, so we do unless it's pouring rain or absolutely frigid.
mommysc2 likes this.
March 1st, 2013, 02:47 AM
Expecting #1
We have been going out in public since Ember was 4 days old. Lots of walks and we have gone to restaurants, especially ones with outdoor seating that are in walking distance. I keep Ember in her carseat or in my Moby and nobody seems to come too close. I have to get out, I wold go stir crazy staying coupled up at home, but the weather has been great. If it was cold or rainy, I'd be less motivated to go outside on a walk.
mommysc2 likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 02:08 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
We've been going out since Lauryn was 1 week old. We live in Ohio, and it can get pretty darn cold, and the flu was going around like crazy, but I just can't stay in the house. No one has tried to touch her (except the people at my work -- and I work in a Dr's office full of germs ) and I dress her appropriately for the weather. I just feel like keeping her TOO sheltered from germs won't be any good for her either. She'll probably be in daycare before her 2 month shots, so she'll be exposed to germs there too. My ODD went out at about 5 days as well, but she was a summer baby. It's a personal preference, but as long as the baby isn't a preemie, or doesn't have deceased immune function, I think it's fine to go out. Just use your judgement.
mommysc2 likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 03:20 PM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
With the weather being 70s this weekend... we'll be out ALL weekend!
mommysc2 likes this.

March 1st, 2013, 05:27 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
Going to a funeral yesterday was the most max and I have gotten out of the house since he was born. I think it was a little overwhelming for both of us!!

Next weekend we're supposed to have a heatwave of 50°. I can't wait to be able to go on a walk!
mommysc2 likes this.

March 3rd, 2013, 11:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was actually more cautious this time around than with my daughter (because it's such a bad flu season), but we've been going out for awhile to Starbucks, the library, the mall. Chances are his sister's going to bring something from preschool anyways.
mommysc2 likes this.

March 4th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're braving the 50's to go to a playdate today, lol! I just can't sit inside the house, getting out does wonders for my mental state lol. I'm a little skeered of the cold today though, but we'll see how it goes.
mommysc2 likes this.

March 4th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Veteran
We are in NY and its cold! The sicknesses this winter are nasty! So I have been pretty cautious about public places and visitors! When little man is 3 months old and its warmer we will be out and about! Until then we hang home!
mommysc2 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search