Reflux babies?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2013, 03:17 PM
Host of March '10 PR
Any other reflux babies out there?
Lucy was put on Zantac bc she spits up so much. She was projectile vomiting after every feed, it was bad. The Zantac has helped in regards to projectile vomit, but she still spits up lots. She is uncomfortable for about an hour after her feeding. She doesn't cry, but lots of grunting, back arching, and just seeming unhappy. After she has digested, she is full of smiles.
I am tempted to try the Dr's next recommendation, which is to put rice cereal in her bottle to thicken it up a but. I'm hesitant to do so, but getting to the point of just wanting her to be happy and comfortable.
I'm not concerned with her growth, I know she's getting enough food. I can just tell she isn't as happy as she could be.
Anyone else having similar issues?
March 3rd, 2013, 04:13 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
We have reflux here too. We were giving the Zantac but stopped when we switched formulas last time. Eli gets Nutramigen and gets a tablespoon of rice cereal per bottle to thicken it. He still spits up a little after most of his bottles but he doesn't seem very bothered by it. He seems a bit restless after eating as well but he gets over it after a few minutes.

I think because he was so premature his whole suck, swallow, breathe system is still maturing too. This might be true for Lucy too.

March 3rd, 2013, 05:28 PM
Host of March '10 PR
I agree that her prematurity has something to do with this most likely. I know they say not to compare- and DD1 was full-term, but she never spit up like this. Hoping that as she gets better head control and is able to sit upright more often, this issue will lessen. I just want her to be comfortable.
March 3rd, 2013, 07:48 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
Marshall has reflux. He was put on Zantac and it helped with the crying and back arching but he was still spitting up a ton after every feeding and it was bothering him and he'd get strangled on it. It wasn't like it was hurting and bothering him but just bothering him because he spit up so much. They said I could add rice cereal but he wouldn't drink it so we put him back on Similac Sensitve for Spit up (in a green can) and it's worked a ton! He's very happy on it, a little gas but happy!
March 4th, 2013, 09:12 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Sophia has reflux and is also on Zantac but her symptoms are gone. For her weight she should be on 0.7 ml every 12 hrs. She is still on the same does as when she was 2 wks old which is 0.5 ml every 12 hrs. So, I asked the dr if he thinks she really needs it. He said all babies grow out of it, some only need zantac for a few weeks, others for a full year. He said that since Sophia is on a lower dose and still doing well then we could gradually reduce her dose and watch her until she is off and of course if her symptoms come back to put her right back to her proper dose. So, for 3-4 days she had 0.4 and did fine, this morning she had 0.3 for the 1st time so we are going to monitor her for another 3-4 days on that dose and then take it from there.....she did not have arching of the back or spit up though, she had the silent reflux which was gagging at the bottle, crying during eating, fussiness and irritability, gulping of saliva and such.......

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
March 4th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Parker has reflux as well and is on Zantac. The amount he spits up depends on the method of feeding. It seems if we use a bottle he spits up less than if he is put to the boob, but always something. Lately he's been fussing and having a lot more issues after eating for at least half an hour so I'm thinking he may need an increase in his zantac dose or maybe the rice cereal addition. I hate seeing him so upset and uncomfortable, I can't wait for this to pass!

Always remembering our angel babies - 4/2011 (ectopic), 4/2012 (chemical) and
Angel Twins 5/23/14 (at 7 weeks 2 days)

March 4th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Dee
Mine has reflux, too. He takes Prilosec - 2ml twice a day. I think it helps with the pain, but he still has one huge spit a day and lots of little bits. Plenty of back arching and lip smacking, too. And he wasn't grumpy all the time, but lately he's been really grumpy all day long. He is consolable (i.e., if I hold him he stops) so the doctor said the Prilosec is working.
March 5th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mykelti has reflux and is onn Zantac.

We also thicken his Nutramigen to a honey consistancy due to his reflux and his poor suck_swallow_breathe reflex. By the end of the day he is getting his formula by spoon bc he gets so uncoordinated and lazy as the day goes on.

Mykelti James 01.21.13
March 5th, 2013, 11:13 AM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sarah Beth has a bit of reflux/indigestion but nothing too serious to need meds. She doesn't always get fussy after she eats, I'd say its about 50/50 with her. When we notice it we usually give her some Colic Calm, a bit of Mylanta or just keep her upright ad pat her back or bounce her like crazy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search