Cloth Diaper Question/What's your system?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1stbaby

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey

So apparently when I can't sleep with a cold I become super green, crunchy mama.

I wanted to ask a quick question about pocket diapers or clothing diapering because I'm kind of confused.

So, with some pocket diapers you need an insert and with some you do not, but either way you wash it all in the washing machine and then dryer or leave it to sun dry. My question is, do any of you have front loading washers or high efficiency washers? I've seen some sites talk about cleaning out the dirty water and I'm not sure how that would work. I have to say one of the big things holding me back is I don't quite understand how the diapers get cleaned without totally pooing up your washer and making a total mess.

Does anyone have a system that they use with their pocket diapers/pre folds/cloth diapers that works for them that they'd like to share?

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
March 7th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't do cloth diapers but I'm pretty sure you "clean" them a little first before putting them n the washer...kinda like you do your dishes before you put them in the dishwasher. They have hoses with a nozzle that attach to the toilet so you can put most of the waste in there before putting them in the washer. Again I have never used cloth diapers and don't really understand them completely but that's what I have heard about the washing them

March 7th, 2013, 09:49 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have bumgenius and alva baby pockets. I rinse the poopy diapers with a sprayer in the toilet and then pull out the insert and throw the insert and the outer cover both in the diaper pail. I think that when a baby is EBF the poopy diapers dont need to be rinsed because the breastmilk poo is water soluble but I do it anyways out of habit and it seems less gross to me. I also live in an apartment and have little faith in my washer's efficiency so I rinse as much poop as I can off the diapers so my washer has to do less work. I then wash the diapers: cold cycle, hot cycle, hot rinse. I line dry (inside to prevent fading) the outer covers and sun dry the inserts

March 8th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Veteran
I just wrote a really long post in the cloth diapering forum that spells out my method. I use a HE front loader. No rinsing needed for EBFing. I do an extra rinse, then dry the insides in the dryer and hang dry the shells.
March 8th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We are cloth diapering full time. We use Thirsties AIO's, Alva NB pockets and Sunbaby size 1 at the present time.

All soiled diapers go in a wet bag or a diaper pail. She is only having BM so the diapers don't have to be sprayed. They will once she begins solids and I have a sprayer attached to the toilet to do that.

I wash my cloth diapers every other day. I use Country Save soap. I wash once in cold with no soap, once in hot with soap, and then an extra rinse.

I work outside the home so I dry my diapers in the dryer and only set them out in the sun when I have a stain that I need to sun out.

Cloth diapering is super easy.
razzlebaby27 likes this.

March 9th, 2013, 08:27 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have regular toploader washing machine. My routine is a warm prewash with a bit of oxyclean, then a hot wash with detergent (I use A Happy Green Life) with a 2nd cold rinse. Then the inserts go into the dryer and the pocket shells are hung to dry. I've never really had much that needed sunned out, but if they do, I pick a sunny day and lay them out on the deck somewhere. For Taylor, since she's EBF, there's no need to rinse anything. It's no different than washing dirty clothes with a nice big blowout. For my 2-year old, we use diaper liners, so his poo just flips out into the toilet and the diaper goes into the wet bag. easy peasy. For the rare mushy messy poo, I'll rinse off anything not caught by the liner in our laundry room sink, it's meant for messy stuff.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search