Horrible napper!

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RobynL

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2013, 06:05 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
Well, I take that back. He's a good napper when sleeping on top of us. The moment we try to put him down his eyes pop right open. Doesn't matter where it is - crib, pack and play, swing, bouncer. He'll only nap if we're holding him. The only way I can get anything done is by wearing him.

I'm freaking out a little that this bad habit is going to start at night time too.

Is this pretty common and does anybody have any suggestions?

March 9th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Lyndsey2013's Avatar Mom to 2 + 3
I try to wait until Juliana's in a deep sleep before moving her, about 30 min. Sometimes it works, sometimes not...

Gabriel Tomás, 4/29/14
March 9th, 2013, 06:22 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is very common, some babies are just cuddlers DS1 wanted space when he slept and would sleep better/longer when not being held. Felix is the opposite and, like Max, will only sleep when being held (for both naps and bedtime). I cosleep at night so he sleeps great but I go back to work next week and since I work nights he is going to be in the crib because DH doesnt wanna cosleep (he worries that he sleeps too deeply). We did a crib test run the other night and he did ok if he was swaddled up nice and tightly. If Max is sleeping at night right now without any problems I wouldnt worry that its going to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey2013 View Post
I try to wait until Juliana's in a deep sleep before moving her, about 30 min. Sometimes it works, sometimes not...
I do started doing this with Felix as well and it does help some.

March 9th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey2013 View Post
I've tried this with Max and unfortunately he seems to be a light sleeper like me. I didn't even know that was possible with a newborn!

March 9th, 2013, 06:31 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly we haven't really attempted to put her down duri g the day when she sleeps. I usually wearing her when she falls alseep. She does fine at night in the crib nicely swaddled so I won't worry that you are setting yourself up for some nightmare situation. They are still little

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
March 9th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post
Honestly we haven't really attempted to put her down duri g the day when she sleeps. I usually wearing her when she falls alseep. She does fine at night in the crib nicely swaddled so I won't worry that you are setting yourself up for some nightmare situation. They are still little
I'm supposed to start working from home next week (actually was supposed to this week, but thats a different story...) so I had been hoping he'd be a napper so I could do that. I guess I'll be wearing him in front of the computer. Mere I know you're a WAHer, have you been working since you had Vivi? Do you just wear her?

March 10th, 2013, 12:52 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal91011 View Post
I'm supposed to start working from home next week (actually was supposed to this week, but thats a different story...) so I had been hoping he'd be a napper so I could do that. I guess I'll be wearing him in front of the computer. Mere I know you're a WAHer, have you been working since you had Vivi? Do you just wear her?
Yes I am working from home. I basically stand up at my laptop and wear her. Sometimes she makes it easy, sometimes not. A lot of times I end up bouncing and blasting times to keep her happy. It's definitely a lot of starting and stopping and if I have something super pressing ill usually do it once DH is done with work for the day and can take her. Granted I only work about 10-14 hours a week but its something. Its doable just some patience and a great baby carrier lol

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
March 10th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
One thing that works for us is, I make a blanket nest for Lincoln on my bed (you may not want to do that, after 3 kids I'm just not nervous about blankets for my baby anymore, but I remember with my first I never let him have a blanket, lol). Anyway I get him super snuggly and lie down next to him and give him a bottle, pat his head, etc. and he will always fall asleep this way, and since he's already super snuggly in my bed I don't have to move him and wake him up once he's asleep. It works pretty well but I know some people don't want them to learn to use the bottle to fall asleep, etc. but I never cared about that.

March 10th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
Ugh I totally feel your pain! Marshall doesn't HAVE to be on us to nap, but he just doesn't nap in general. He takes several 10-30min cat naps with occasionally one longer stretch. He needs to sleep, he gets fussy and his eye lids are red where he's tired but he fights it. If we're holding him he will fall right to sleep and then stay asleep a few min after we put him down but then wakes up. During the day he won't cat nap anywhere except the bouncer or the moby. Oh and he'll do a long stretch if were in the car too. Other than that it's pretty much no sleep until bed time, which he still gets up atleast once.

He would probably stay asleep longer if we did hold him but I just can't with having a toddler.
March 10th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marybeth76 View Post
One thing that works for us is, I make a blanket nest for Lincoln on my bed (you may not want to do that, after 3 kids I'm just not nervous about blankets for my baby anymore, but I remember with my first I never let him have a blanket, lol). Anyway I get him super snuggly and lie down next to him and give him a bottle, pat his head, etc. and he will always fall asleep this way, and since he's already super snuggly in my bed I don't have to move him and wake him up once he's asleep. It works pretty well but I know some people don't want them to learn to use the bottle to fall asleep, etc. but I never cared about that.
I do something like this with Marshall as well. At night if he's fighting going to be I'll lay down in the bed with him until he gets into a deep sleep and then move him.

I've tried it during the day but DS1 comes in there and starts talking and it wakes Marshall up.

Does anyone else's LO sleep in their carseat at night? Thats the only way we can get Marshall to sleep good. I think it has to do with his acid reflux. He hates laying flat even during the day.
March 10th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers_Mommy View Post
Does anyone else's LO sleep in their carseat at night? Thats the only way we can get Marshall to sleep good. I think it has to do with his acid reflux. He hates laying flat even during the day.
Lincoln doesn't, but my daughter slept in her carseat for the first few months of her life. Our mattress was on the floor at that point, so I just put the carseat on the floor right next to me. I padded it at night with one of her soft blankets (folded) so that she was a little more comfy in it and so I didn't have to worry about her head flopping like it can do in the car. During the day I'd snap her carseat into the stroller and roll her around the house with me, like a mobile bed, lol. Phew. Lincoln may not be an easy baby, but compared to her he is a piece of cake, lol.

March 10th, 2013, 09:52 AM
RobynL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use a heating pad and roll up blankets beside him. I put A warm heating pad on dexters bed right before I'm about to do our final feed for the night. Once he nurses to sleep I told him for 10-30 minutes and then remove the heating pad and lay him down. It works great and he gets that same warm feeling from his bed that he gets from me
MammaWannaBe likes this.

Thanks Vicki for my always awesome siggy!
March 10th, 2013, 09:55 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
That's a fab idea! Trying this tonight.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 10th, 2013, 04:31 PM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was having trouble transitioning him from his bassinet to a pack & play for night sleeping. For some reason everytime I put him down in his pack & play to sleep he would wake right up. I tried keeping a nice soft blanket on top of the sheet and it has been working for us. I guess maybe the sheet gets cold? IDK but trying putting a blanket down under him, if anything maybe it will feel more like you than a bed

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
March 11th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Well, I tried the heating pad last night. I took the bedtime shift (which for us, is between 10 and 1). I nursed him until he fell asleep, and transferred him into his bassinet, where I had placed the heating pad ahead of time to warm it up. He didn't fuss one bit! He went right to sleep!

Now, I also don't usually nurse him to sleep, so not sure which it was, or if it was a combo, but I don't think he hated the heating pad one bit!

March 11th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I feel like a stupid mother for not putting two and two together, but I bet his napping issues have to do with his reflux. At night he sleeps in a rock n play but I've never tried napping him in it. I'm going to put some blankets under part of his mattress and see if an incline helps. I had planned on putting him in his crib when I return to work, but I'm so concerned by his reflux I think I'll keep him next to me a bit longer.

I'm also going to try the heating pad trick on his rock n play n because hes been fighting sleep more than normal lately.

I suppose the good thing for me is that soon his napping issues will be daycares problem.

March 11th, 2013, 04:36 PM
The only way I can get Scooter down for a nap is in his bouncy seat. DH got him to nap in his crib once, but that was a fluke, I think, and he was super swaddled. He goes down great in his bouncy seat though...I just wish I could get him to do that at night!

Good luck with napping in the rock n play. I bet the incline makes a big difference...that's what B seems to like, and especially if M has reflux, I bet that is making it uncomfy for him to lie flat to nap. Poor little one!

March 11th, 2013, 09:34 PM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Marybeth76, I remember with my firstborn i snapped at a friend of ours for placing a blanket over my daughter as she slept in her crib. Fast forward to my third kid and I cover him with a light blanket. I also co-sleep which I was totally against. I just put Jamison's crib together the other day so pretty soon I'm going to try giving him naps in it. I am nervous because he will be sharing his room with my 18 month old son, Dominic. Dominic flips out when the cat is in his room so I can only imagine what he will be like once Jami's in the same room.

March 11th, 2013, 09:44 PM
RobynL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpeanut View Post
Well, I tried the heating pad last night. I took the bedtime shift (which for us, is between 10 and 1). I nursed him until he fell asleep, and transferred him into his bassinet, where I had placed the heating pad ahead of time to warm it up. He didn't fuss one bit! He went right to sleep!

Now, I also don't usually nurse him to sleep, so not sure which it was, or if it was a combo, but I don't think he hated the heating pad one bit!
Yay! I'm glad it worked for you Karin! The lactation consultant was the one who suggested it to me. I use it every night to get him down.

Thanks Vicki for my always awesome siggy!
March 15th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My little guy is a spider monkey, he only naps on me with his hands tangled in my hair or in his car seat in the car, I even co-sleep at night because we were having so many issues only getting 3-4 hours of sleep at night. I bought a Moby wrap and he hates it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search