How is your DH with baby?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Host of March '10 PR
How well does your DH/BF/baby daddy do with your LO?
How is their bond?
How involved with care is he?
If you wanted to go out by yourself one day, how much instruction would he need on how to care for baby while you were gone?
March 11th, 2013, 12:47 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
How well does your DH/BF/baby daddy do with your LO? Amazing. Just amazing.
How is their bond? Strong. VERY strong. They bonded in the hospital before I got a chance to even hold Bax (due to section).
How involved with care is he? Extremely. We split night/early morning feedings, he changes diapers readily (and happily?!?!?) and every night when he comes home from work, he takes care of him so I can eat, take a bath, have "me" time.
If you wanted to go out by yourself one day, how much instruction would he need on how to care for baby while you were gone? Very little. I am trying to work on getting Bax on a schedule in the daytimes when DH is at work, so that would be the only instruction he might need.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 11th, 2013, 12:53 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ah this is probably the majority of the fights we have. My DH was so good those first few days in the hospital but I think it's been hard for him to get used to the routine of parenthood. She's not an easily solved problem and I think he beces easily frustrated. I also think it's hard because they don't do much at this age so it hasn't become "fun" yet. I'm trying to remember that as she ages he may get more hands on.

Their bond is fairly good. He puts her down at night because he has the best swaddle and somehow gets her down. She definitely spends more time with me and since she's still so young it's hard to say. She basically likes anyone who will hold her and cuddle.

My DH needs no extra instruction when I leave the house. He really is great at diaper changing, bottle prep, burping etc I just think he struggles with the repetitiveness of it all. I think maybe men warm up slower to parenthood, or maybe it's just in my case. I think the little changes I notice are just a bigger deal to me. It's not that he doesn't love her because he totally does, he's just had a harder time. We are communicating a lot about it though and trying to help each other when we notice the other one getting worn out. Like ill let him go out for basketball if he's had a hard stretch with her or of the baby is up a lot during my nightshift he'll take the 6am feeding to give me more sleep. We're a fairly good team and he is good with the baby I just don't think it's the same connection with moms as dads especially in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpeanut View Post
How well does your DH/BF/baby daddy do with your LO? Amazing. Just amazing.
How is their bond? Strong. VERY strong. They bonded in the hospital before I got a chance to even hold Bax (due to section).
How involved with care is he? Extremely. We split night/early morning feedings, he changes diapers readily (and happily?!?!?) and every night when he comes home from work, he takes care of him so I can eat, take a bath, have "me" time.
If you wanted to go out by yourself one day, how much instruction would he need on how to care for baby while you were gone? Very little. I am trying to work on getting Bax on a schedule in the daytimes when DH is at work, so that would be the only instruction he might need.
Jealous :/ my DH is great but it can be a struggle to get to that point somedays

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
March 11th, 2013, 01:03 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I think you are totally right in that Dads have a harder time at first. Babies don't interact as much, they are just sort of "there" (as my Dad says), and need constant care. I truly think I am blessed, and I have a unique DH for sure.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 11th, 2013, 01:04 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How well does your DH/BF/baby daddy do with your LO? pretty good. He's better with a little older more interactive babies though
How is their bond? good.
How involved with care is he? involved enough. He does more with our 2 year old though since I'm bfing
If you wanted to go out by yourself one day, how much instruction would he need on how to care for baby while you were gone? very little. pretty much just when she last ate.

March 11th, 2013, 02:21 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How well does your DH/BF/baby daddy do with your LO? Great, we fell right back into the routine we had with DS1. We feel like old pros lol

How is their bond? Good

How involved with care is he? He is always willing to do whatever needs to be done but he does more of the care of our 21month old. Felix breastfeeds and is a big comfort nurser so he wants to be on the boob A LOT!

If you wanted to go out by yourself one day, how much instruction would he need on how to care for baby while you were gone? None, just when Felix last ate.

Ive heard that it is hard to go from one baby to two but having them really close together has actually been SUPER helpful. I feel like DH and I havent even skipped a beat

March 11th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How well does your DH/BF/baby daddy do with your LO? Not very well. To be honest Peyton doesn't care for him yet. She literally screams her head off every single time he holds her, but then again she screams her head off any time anyone other than myself and our daycare provider hold her.

How is their bond? There isn't much of one yet.

How involved with care is he? He holds her while I brush my teeth at night and that's about it. So not much.

If you wanted to go out by yourself one day, how much instruction would he need on how to care for baby while you were gone? He would know what to do and not need any instruction, but I would never leave her in his care for an entire day. I generally leave the 2 oldest girls home and take the baby with me wherever I go. It's easier than knowing she is crying.

She starts crying if most people even look at her. I think the bf'ing and co-sleeping have her so dependant on me that she gets anxious when she is not with me. It took 3 weeks at daycare for her to not cry all day straight. It's been tough.

March 11th, 2013, 03:52 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
How well does your DH/BF/baby daddy do with your LO? SO, so amazing. I've fallen a million times more in love with him. It also helps that he did the newborn thing already 21 years ago with his daughter.

How is their bond? It's safe to say joel is max's favorite person. He lights up so much when he hears and sees daddy.

How involved with care is he? Not as involved as me, obviously, but he does a great job.

If you wanted to go out by yourself one day, how much instruction would he need on how to care for baby while you were gone? I just have to tell him when he needs to eat next and he handles it from there. Sometimes he even uses cloth diapers.

March 11th, 2013, 04:40 PM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
How well does your DH/BF/baby daddy do with your LO? Fantastic! It's so heartwarming to see him fall in love with his son!
How is their bond? Wonderful! Eli is his new little buddy.
How involved with care is he? We are pretty equal. I can't complain.
If you wanted to go out by yourself one day, how much instruction would he need on how to care for baby while you were gone? He'd just need to know when to feed him again.

March 11th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
How well does your DH/BF/baby daddy do with your LO? He does great with him Alot of times he can't get him calmed down though when he's crying, but he tries. I think it's because I'm with Marshall alot more since he works and he gets a bit nervous when he can't get him calmed down and I think Marshall senses that so he gets more upset.

How is their bond? Pretty good. I think it'll get even better once DS2 is older. DH likes when he can rough house with them and stuff lol

How involved with care is he?
Alot! He even gets up either the feeding in the middle of the night or the 1st feeding of the morning (generally 5 or 6am)! He worked 3rd when DS1 was born so he slept all day and worked all night so I felt like a single parent so how much he helps now feels like a ton! He helps alot more with DS1 though since he's older and I'm better at calming DS2.

If you wanted to go out by yourself one day, how much instruction would he need on how to care for baby while you were gone? Just when he ate last

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search