Tylenol measurement?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mamaginger

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2013, 08:52 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm assuming infant Tylenol was recalled? Can we give children's? How much??

ETA: Crap... My friend just sent me a link that acetaminophen decreases the effectiveness of vaccines!
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=8841740

I am so dreading these shots today.... :*(

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

Last edited by mamaginger; March 13th, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
March 13th, 2013, 09:04 AM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
The dr gave me a measurement sheet but im at work and it's at home. I can share it later. Sorry I don't remember off the top of my head.

March 13th, 2013, 09:16 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
My pedi said that he dosen't like to give Tylenol at this age. I know all docots have different opinions but it could have something to do with that link you posted. Something to think about it. Sophia had 3 shots and an oral all at one visit...she screamed yes, but was over it as soon as I picked her up and comforted her. She did not get a fever nor was she cranky she was just very very tired for the rest of the day, that's it. Even when tylenol was considered "ok" to give (as per my pedi) with my other kids, I never gave it before vaccines.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
March 13th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
I always gave tylenol before DS1's vaccines and through out the day afterwards if he was cranky.

Marshall got his on Monday and afterward the Dr. told me to give him 2.0ml every 4hrs as needed. He was super cranky and was randomly start SCREAMING his head off so I gave it to him every 4hrs and by yesterday (tues) he was back to himself.

I don't if they recalled the infant tylenol. All I know is they changed the dosage amount to where there is less in the amount you give so they uped the dosage amount for infants. I think its more concentrated now? Like it used to be .25 (I think) but now its 2.0 or 2.5 depending on the weight and such. Marshall is 12lbs 7oz and his Dr said his dosage would be 2.0ml. What confuses me is if they had to up the dosage for infants then why do toddlers still only get 1tsp? Looks to me like their dosage would've been uped to?
March 13th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
0-3mos is .5 ML. 12lbs or 3 mos is 1.0 ML

I am really confused about that link. Tylenol has no anti inflammatory agent nor does it trigger an anti inflammatory responsse. A panel overturned that info in 2009.

Tylenol (paracetamol) has a Wikipedia entry (reference 1). Under "Mechanism of Action," you will find the following:

"Paracetamol has long been suspected of having a similar mechanism of action to aspirin because of the similarity in structure. That is, it has been assumed that paracetamol acts by reducing production of prostaglandins, which are involved in the pain and fever processes, by inhibiting the cyclooxygenase (COX) enzyme.

However, there are important differences between the effects of aspirin and those of paracetamol. Prostaglandins participate in the inflammatory response, but paracetamol has no appreciable anti-inflammatory action. Furthermore, COX also produces thromboxanes, which aid in blood clotting - aspirin reduces blood clotting, but paracetamol does not. Finally, aspirin and the other NSAIDs commonly have detrimental effects on the stomach lining, where prostaglandins serve a protective role, but paracetamol is safe.

Mykelti James 01.21.13

Last edited by Briar08; March 13th, 2013 at 12:30 PM.
March 13th, 2013, 04:26 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah my Ped said Tylenol was fine. He's not a meds pusher at all either. I practically begged for reflux meds and he wouldn't give them to me. He said fever and pain can have poor side effects just as much as meds....that babies may not drink well, not sleep well and will release stress hormones if they are feverish or in pain. He said 2 ml for her weight. It's been 4 hrs since the shots and so far she's fine and hasn't needed any Tylenol anyway.

P.S. The friend who sent me that link is a no- vax mommy who makes her own baby food and eats Paleo. Shes very all-natural. I totally love and respect her (often go to her for advice) but we believe differently on a few things.
Briar08 likes this.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

March 14th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Super Mommy
our pefi says the children's Tylenol is now the same concentrate as infants. Shelby is 9.3lbs and get 1.25ml. She only got the first dose at the drs office and maybe in 4 hrs if she needs it. I was talking to my mom who is a Pediatric RN and she said the reason only Tylenol until there 6 mos is because of the baby's kidneys.

Thank Kiliki for the siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search