Flat head

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By d_tops
  • 1 Post By Xtapolapocet
  • 1 Post By beamermarie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2013, 05:24 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
My 8 week old is getting a big flat spot on the back of her head. We do tummy time, hold her sitting up, over our shoulders, and often lay her on her side. Do I need to worry? Will it work itself out?
March 14th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Expecting #1
We haven't experienced flat hat, but Embers hair was/is thinner on the back of her head. We try to keep her off her back as much as possible during the day and I wear her a lot more so a few naps occur in her wrap. The hair has gotten thicker since we tried to keep her off her back. From what I read this is normal and you just have to keep doing what you are doing and keeping her off her back when not sleeping.

March 14th, 2013, 07:35 AM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
My doctor said it would work itself out. So did my sister who has a 2 year old. They spend so many hours sleeping it's bound to happen right?

March 14th, 2013, 08:07 AM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
Most cases do correct themselves if care is taken to keep baby off its back as much as possible when awake, and that includes not overusing seats and swings and the like. I've always put my kids on their bellies for naps after about four months- the risk of SIDS decreases then, and they can roll over well, plus I'm always right there during the day.
Listen to your gut, though. If it worries you, talk to your pedi, get a second opinion if need be. My bff still has a flat head in the back. Oops. It hasn't caused her any problems, but she is a little self-concious about it.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
March 14th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Dee
My head is totally flat in the back! Our baby came out super round, and he's starting to flatten a little, so I'm more conscious about keeping him more upright, and turning his head to different sides when he is sleeping on his back. I think a little bit of this is unavoidable, especially since they're supposed to be sleeping on their backs for so long.

I do let him nap on his belly when he's on the open floor and I'm right there. And spending more time in the sling is a good idea.
Xtapolapocet likes this.
March 14th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lincoln is getting a little flat spot in between the back of his head and the right side of his head. He always wants to turn his head that way, and the ped said his neck muscles are a little tight on one side from the way he was positioned in utero, so I'm supposed to do some little exercises with him to help that.

I'm not worried about it though. My first son had a pretty bad flat spot on the back of his head and now you can't tell, I guess his hair covers it. I think it's pretty normal.

March 14th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Host of March '10 PR
Lucy doesn't have a flat spot, but my older daughter had a patch with less hair, which the Dr said was from laying down as much as they do. The Dr said it would work itself out as she began spending more time sitting up. And it did
You could bring it up to your pediatrician just to be sure, but likely it's just all part of being an immobile baby
March 14th, 2013, 02:52 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I agree with the other ladies...it will probably work itself out, but if you are concerned, don't hesitate to bring it up to your ped.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 18th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamermarie View Post
My 8 week old is getting a big flat spot on the back of her head. We do tummy time, hold her sitting up, over our shoulders, and often lay her on her side. Do I need to worry? Will it work itself out?
First...it will not work itself out. You need to shape her head. Because the bones are still soft and pliable in the skull as the head grows and matures, you have time to fix this problem. Begin taking the palm of your hand (cupped) and massage her head into a 'round' shape. Continue to do this frequently when you're holding her, that should correct the problem.
d_tops likes this.

March 19th, 2013, 06:10 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
It has gotten better just since I posted this! I can barely find it and the doc says she looks great!
Xtapolapocet likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search