Eating Enough

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jules_loves_beaches
  • 2 Post By A.Sue8

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2013, 11:39 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do any of you ladies know how many ounces per day a two month old should be getting?

I ask because from the getgo Vivi has been an amazing eater, but when she got sick I noticed that her eating slowed down naturally because dairy and phlegm aren't the nicest combinations. Well she is almost over her cold I'd say and doing a lot better but still incredibly fussy when it comes to her bottle. She doesn't seem to ever really want it except after a full nights sleep where she takes down 4 oz. I'm starting to worry that she isn't getting enough to eat. Today she had an am bottle of 4oz, it was a struggle to get 2oz down around 11am and now 3 1/2 hoUrs later she is fussy and not wanting her bottle. I just got her to take a nap thank god.

Anyone have any ideas? I am going to start charting how much she eats to see if a pattern emerges but I'm starting to feel a bit nervous. Also she is pooping and peeing normally so that's good I guess.

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
March 14th, 2013, 01:08 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Sophia eat about 4-4.5 ounces every 3 hours or so. Sometimes she will only eat about 3.5 though. At night she tens to eat less if she wakes cause she is so tired and then falls asleep at the bottle. So, if she wakes at 4 am she will usually eat maybe 2 ounces but sometimes she will finish it. It all depends.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
March 14th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysc2 View Post
Sophia eat about 4-4.5 ounces every 3 hours or so. Sometimes she will only eat about 3.5 though. At night she tens to eat less if she wakes cause she is so tired and then falls asleep at the bottle. So, if she wakes at 4 am she will usually eat maybe 2 ounces but sometimes she will finish it. It all depends.
Before Vivi got her cold she would rock 4oz ever 2-3 hours and then when she got sick we tried to feed her more often and cut down the amount we gave her because it would cause mucus build up. But now she is basically better besides a lingering cough and still doesn't want to take as much down.

As it stands today she has had:

7am ish-4oz
11am is -2oz
4pm- 2 oz

And she was such a hot mess after the 11am bottle. She was either fussy or sleeping, but just not happy. I actually fed her as she was strapped to me in my Mae Tai just because she seemed hungry and I didn't want to disturb her because it seems like if one thing is out of place she will not take that dang bottle.

March 14th, 2013, 01:16 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Maybe the lingering cough still bothers her and that is why her appetitte is not good?

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
March 14th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysc2 View Post
Maybe the lingering cough still bothers her and that is why her appetitte is not good?
Hmm that could be it. She also just had her shots on Monday so maybe some of the fussiness is still lingering from that. She doesn't have a temp and everything else is normal so I don't really know what to think. I know that babies are not robots and I can't expect her to want to eat the same amount at the same time every day, but I just realized today that maybe she hasn't been getting enough and that is why I decided to start a running list of how many ounces a day she is getting

March 14th, 2013, 03:02 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Since I BF, I don't really know, but when DH gives him a bottle of EBM, it totally ranges from 2.5oz to 5oz. It's really dependent on his mood, time of day, sleepiness, fuss factor, etc.

I was thinking the same thing about her lingering cough. Maybe her throat is a bit sore still? Seems like when I've been sick, it's always a sore throat from a cough that lingers the longest and is most uncomfortable.

Good idea to keep track of it - I track everything on an app on my phone, and don't know what I would do without it!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 14th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Expecting #1
Maybe try getting her bottle warmer than normal? Might help with a sore throat. I bf but give Ember pumped breastmilk too since she still is getting the hang of nursing (lazy nurser). My pedi said 19-31 oz is about what a 2 month old should have. Average is about 25 oz. for bottle feeding. She is probably still feeling a little under the weather which is affecting her eating. As long as she has her wet diapers, I wouldn't worry about it.
mommysc2 likes this.

March 14th, 2013, 06:11 PM
I actually spoke to our ped who said that it might just be fussiness still from the shot and still getting over her cold (like you ladies said ) She said unless she miraculously took down 8 more oz this evening that we should try some tylenol and supplement with Pedialite. Of course she decides to take 2 oz at 4pm, 3oz at 5pm, 3.5oz at 7:00pm, and now she'll have 4oz before bed which I am very happy about

I hope she continues this trend tomorrow and gets back on track!

March 15th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know there's a rule of thumb 2.5 oz for every lb the baby weighs in a day(10lb = 25 oz.) is the target amount but at could change if there's a growth spurt going on or illness.
MammaWannaBe and d_tops like this.

March 15th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Good advice Sue! I'll remember that!

March 18th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Xtapolapocet's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow...I guess David's a pig! lol

He eats 7.5 oz to 8 oz. every 3 hours...and is amazingly LEAN. I had no idea that everyone else was only feeding about 4-5oz. Wow!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search