Zantac Babies.....

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mal91011
  • 1 Post By mal91011
  • 1 Post By d_tops

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2013, 01:11 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Have you had the need to increase your LO's dose yet? I know the dose increases with weight?

If so, what symptoms did your LO show that made you realize that the dose needed to be increased?

Do you get the flavoring added the the medicine? If so, does your LO seem to tolerate it any better?

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
March 14th, 2013, 05:34 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We havent increased his dose yet but might discuss it at his appt next week because he has started throwing up after every single feeding (large amounts of vomit)
His medicine smells like cherry flavoring but i gave it a taste and it is SO BITTER, but Felix doesnt seem to care and takes it with no problems

March 14th, 2013, 06:09 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
I'll find out tomorrow if we need to increase his dosage. The only symptom he still has is the congestion and hiccups. He always sounds cocking like he's choking after he eats. He gets his meds flavored with grape. It smells horrible and I can't imagine that minty grape is a great flavor combo!

March 14th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
At his 2 month check up they increased his dose to .8ml every 8hrs

He was getting his symptoms back. Arching his back and crying, seemed to be bothering him again when he did spit up, ect.

We didn't get the flavoring added. He doesn't love the taste of it but he tolerates it.
March 15th, 2013, 06:58 AM
ok, the reason why I asked this question is because Sophia was on a lose dose to begin with because her symptoms wer not coming back so the dr said don't increase unless we needed to so we even started to decrease her dose and it was working out so well.......BIG MISTAKE THAT WAS!! So we put her on her original low dose and it still wasn't enough (her mouth was getting full of saliva again, her congestion came back, her gulping cam back and one symptom she never had, shs started to spit up more and even vomitting a few times.) Sophia has silent scid reflux so this was a big symptom for us! So, we put her on .7ml 2 times a day which is what her dose was supposed to be at our last visit (may be more now??).

Sophia really struggles with taking this medication and now that she is on a higher dose she really has a hard time. She screams, spits out, gags on it, vomits...you name it! I don't know if any of you ever tasted it but it is DISGUSTINF :yuk:, so we took it to the phamacy yesterday and had it flavored grape, now it is a grape mint...even worse! I contacted a compounding pharmacy who can make the zantac from scratch without the peppermint, sounds great but it will cost more and the pharmacy is little out of the way (i will do this if I have to). So, the pharmacy told me to try to put it in her formula but i hestitated because if she does not finish her bottle then she won't get her full dose. He recommend putting it in a 1/2 ounce or 1 ounce of formula, let her drink it up and then give her the rest (like have a second bottle ready). I may try this. I called my dr just to be sure if this med can mix with formula and he said yes as long as she drink the formula! I will let you all know how this works tonight. Has anyone else tried this way? IF this dosen't work then I am def doing the compounding at the pharmacy!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

March 15th, 2013, 07:10 AM
I'm very interested in hearing if it works this way!
mommysc2 likes this.

March 15th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal91011 View Post
I'm very interested in hearing if it works this way!
It worked!! This is what we did.....

Sophia has moved on to the larger 8 ounce bottle size since she is eating 4.5 ounces but we used one of the small 4 ounce bottles and made 1 ounce, warmed the bottle and then squirted the zantac in there. We also made a 3.5 ounce bottle at the same time. I fed her the 1 ounce with the zantac, she didn't even seem like she noticed at all and when you smell the formula you do not smell the minty smell that zantac has. When she finished the 1 ounce I then slid it out of her mouth and popped in her reg bottle until it was time to burp. Again, she didn't seem to notice. Of course there was a drop or two left in the bottle because it;s hard to get 100% of everything but when we were giving it to her directly in her mouth she prob spit up half of it!! So, we will def try this again and I really hope it sticks cause then she will always get her full dose!!! You should give it a try if your LO struggles as well! Plus, we don't have to see her in such distress when screaming as we force the meds in her mouth.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

March 15th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I'm definitely going to try this! They upped his dosage to 1.5ml twice a day, so I'm sure hes not going to be impressed with that.

I just picked up his prescription yesterday - I wonder how mint medicine flavored with grape will taste in formula...

March 15th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Quote:
I'm definitely going to try this! They upped his dosage to 1.5ml twice a day, so I'm sure hes not going to be impressed with that.

I just picked up his prescription yesterday - I wonder how mint medicine flavored with grape will taste in formula...
Try it! I can't hurt!

Sophia also has the mint grape. If this continues to work then the next refill I prob won't get the grape!
Keep me posted!!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

March 15th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysc2 View Post

Try it! I can't hurt!

Sophia also has the mint grape. If this continues to work then the next refill I prob won't get the grape!
Keep me posted!!
Ok we'll for sure be trying this tomorrow am. I gave him his new dosage with the syringe and he spit out probably the last .5ml.

March 15th, 2013, 09:11 PM
*Mommy2Remington*'s Avatar ~MommyTo2~
Okay...so I'm staking all of you. what is zantac used for? We're trying to figure out Phiona, and why she is the way she is. she doesn't have colic, defintlely not colic but she cries unless your holidng her. She pukes after every feeding and she is breast fed! latley, she squirms and arches her back, un latches and latched on the breast the whole time...then once shes done, pukes.
March 16th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Ok we'll for sure be trying this tomorrow am. I gave him his new dosage with the syringe and he spit out probably the last .5ml.
So, how did it go? It worked again with Sophia this morning!!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

March 16th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mommy2Remington* View Post
Okay...so I'm staking all of you. what is zantac used for? We're trying to figure out Phiona, and why she is the way she is. she doesn't have colic, defintlely not colic but she cries unless your holidng her. She pukes after every feeding and she is breast fed! latley, she squirms and arches her back, un latches and latched on the breast the whole time...then once shes done, pukes.
Oh boy! I'm sorry you are going through this. Zantac is used for stomach issues but what we need it for and the others on this thread is for acid reflux. Their is acid reflux and silent acid reflux. The only difference is silent acid reflux is minimal spit up/vomit. Sophia has the silent reflux. She was diagnosed at 2 weeks old. She was prescribed zantac. Her symptoms were heavy gulping, mouthful of saliva, congestion during feeding, irritable unless being held, hard to burp, crying during feeding, gagging at the bottle, heavy breathing, sleep interrupted. Zantac helped a lot and the only symptom she had left was occasional gagging. What happens is the acid in her stomach would come up during feeding and burn and then she would re-swallow it, the the regular acid reflux it comes out as spit up or vomit. She was doing so well that the dr and us both decided to try and decrease her dose because it something that they grow out of, sometimes it only lasts a few weeks other can last a full year! As we started in decrease her dose all her symptoms cam back and a new one of spit up and vomit! So, the upped her dosage based on her weight and now she is doing much better. Your LO does seem to have those symptoms but does she cry while eating? I would call the pedi and prob have her seen to be sure. Some dr's don't like to prescribe anything though, however zantac is very mild so it's safe. Warning...it tastes horrible!!! We just started mixing it in her formula if you read above but I know you are breastfeeding! Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mommy2Remington* View Post
Oh, and 1 major symptom of acid reflux is arching of the back while feeding. This is one symptom that Sophia does not have, weird but is is a big indicator and my dr tells me that reflux is soooo common!!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

March 16th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Quote:

So, how did it go? It worked again with Sophia this morning!!
So much easier to do it this way!!
mommysc2 likes this.

March 17th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Quote:
So much easier to do it this way!!
YAY!! I am so glad I could help!!!! I love it too and we don't need to see them so upset too!!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

March 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Dee
Quote:
So, the pharmacy told me to try to put it in her formula but i hestitated because if she does not finish her bottle then she won't get her full dose. He recommend putting it in a 1/2 ounce or 1 ounce of formula, let her drink it up and then give her the rest (like have a second bottle ready).
This is what I do with J's vitamins, and it works great.

He takes Prilosec - 2mL twice a day. He started at 2mL once a day at about five weeks, but the arching and problematic spits (he stopped breathing) didn't subside so he was bumped to twice a day two days later. He's still on that dose since it was a little much for his 7 lb body, but is the right dose for him now that he's 10-11 lb. The ped said she'd wait for him to clearly outgrow the dose.

When I started getting it from the pharmacy, I didn't have it flavored at first, but then it tastes like baking soda, so I went back and had them put in bubble gum flavoring, and that works.

I don't know much about the differences between why a baby would be put on Prilosec and Zantac, just that Zantac is more common. With Prilosec, he needs to get his dose on a relatively empty stomach, about 30 to 60 minutes before a feeding. What I do is fill the syringe, then stick a little bottle nipple in his mouth until he starts sucking on it, then pump the syringe into the bottle. If he starts to hack on the first suck, I'll fill the rest of the syringe with a little formula and shake it gently to mix it, so he only gets a couple mLs of formula rather than a full ounce.
mommysc2 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search