Bf check in

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nursingmama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2013, 06:58 AM
RobynL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How's it going?
How long do you plan to bf?
Do you nurse in public?
Having any issues?
How often do you nurse?
How long does baby nurse?
Do you enjoy it?

Thanks Vicki for my always awesome siggy!
March 15th, 2013, 08:27 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
How's it going? Fairly well. Switching between bottle and boob is no problem for the LO and her weight gain is just right.
How long do you plan to bf? Six months, plus supplement for a year with my frozen stash, maybe a bit of pumping.
Do you nurse in public? No, pump and take bottles. I think it's awesome that someone women do, I'm just not comfortable. Plus, my LO takes like 35 minutes and I'm not generally sitting, doing nothing, for 35 minutes in public.
Having any issues? Thrush, thrush, thrush, thrush, thrush.... cursed thrush.
How often do you nurse? Once in the morning, once or twice at night, and any mid-night wake-ups. Other than that, it's all pump and bottles.
How long does baby nurse? 35 minutes or so... but she'll go an hour if I let her. She'll nurse until she throws up.
Do you enjoy it? I hate everything about it. I hate that I can't sleep through the night due to engorgement, I hate that I am unable to out into the world for more than 4 hours... I can't grocery shop and run errands without planning around my boobs... I hate that my nipples still hurt months later... I hate that I have to pump at work, and my office has windows. I have quite the set-up where I have all this card-board I put up on my desk to block the window (building lease doesn't allow blinds)... In fact, I am pumping right now, and my boss just knocked on my door. I had to tell him to come back in a few minutes, and now I'm sure the whole office knows I am pumping. Yup, pretty much hate the whole thing.

Also, aren't we suppossed to get some sort of awesome bonding where she looks at me while eating? yeah, no, that doesn't happen. She just tries to fall asleep, while traping me for an hour at a time. The worst is when I really have to pee!
March 15th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Veteran
How's it going? Going well.
How long do you plan to bf? 9 months - year?
Do you nurse in public? yes, but with a cover.
Having any issues? stretch marks on my boobs.
How often do you nurse? all. the. time. No, just seems like that. About every 3 hours in the day and once in the middle of the night.
How long does baby nurse? ~15 min
Do you enjoy it? yes and no. I mean it is convenient for me as far as feeding her goes. But I hate the constant cycle of over-full breasts, stretch marks, not enough when she wants it, too much when she does.... bleh. My favorite bonding is burping her actually.
March 15th, 2013, 08:59 AM
JennyBaby2013's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How's it going? Fairly well but she's been gaining very slowly. At 6 weeks she was still under her birth weight by 9oz. She's 8w4d now and I think she's just reaching it. This is with 1-3 bottles of formula a day as well.
How long do you plan to bf? Don't know, just playing it by ear but at least 6 months - year.
Do you nurse in public? Sort of. I will with a cover but try to plan outings around feedings.
Having any issues? Just the weight gain.
How often do you nurse? Depends on the day. She nurses at night, in the middle of the night, morning and a few times during the day. Today she has been mostly comfort nursing and sleeping but hasn't had a bottle of formula yet.
How long does baby nurse? 10-15 mins on each side.
Do you enjoy it? I do. I love the bonding but sometimes I'd like to have more freedom.
Jacob (10) Matthew (7) Paige (5)
& Liliana (0)

Liliana Eve 1/14/13 ~ 8lbs 2oz and 19"

March 15th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How's it going? It's going well. I pump a lot though, in fact I pumped exclusively for a few weeks because he had thrush and I didn't want to get it and pass it back and forth between us. He went right back to the boob when I offered it, though.

How long do you plan to bf? As long as he wants to. My daughter nursed until well past 2 and weaned on her own and it was slow and gentle and not traumatic for either of us, so I want to do it that way again.

Do you nurse in public? No. I completely support NIP but I personally am not comfortable getting part of my body naked around random people.

Having any issues? He is still a lazy nurser and most of the time falls asleep after just a few minutes, so I don't know if I will ever be able to stop pumping and giving him bottles. I'm really worried that if I stopped pumping my supply would drop because I don't think he's really efficient at emptying the boob.

How often do you nurse? I pump 5 or 6 times per day which is about as often as he eats. If he is just nursing instead of bottles, he'd eat a lot more often because he still just nurses little bits at a time.

How long does baby nurse? Usually just a few minutes until he falls asleep.

Do you enjoy it? Yes

March 15th, 2013, 11:48 AM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How's it going? Good

How long do you plan to bf? Until he self weans, DS1 weaned around a year old

Do you nurse in public? Yes but I use cover

Having any issues? No he has nursed great from the start

How often do you nurse? I feel like im constantly nursing but in reality it varies between every 2-4 hrs during the day and once during the middle of the night

How long does baby nurse? 10-15 min

Do you enjoy it? I do but I would enjoy it more if I could stay at home because I HATE pumping at work. I can never find the time, I hate toting the pump back and forth from work. I hate everything about pumping. But I love to breastfeed
mrssws likes this.

March 15th, 2013, 12:56 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
How's it going? Some days good, others not so good.

How long do you plan to bf? As long as I have supply, and/or until he self-weans. I'm hoping for at least 6 months, but will go as long as he needs/will go.

Do you nurse in public? Yup, mostly at the Safari Park. I use one of 2 covers I have, and don't mind a bit.

Having any issues? He was a lazy nurser, so some days, it takes a long time to get anywhere. By them time I'm done feeding him, change him, have wake time, then get him to sleep, it's nearly time to feed him again, leaving me almost no time to pump. If I do pump in that time, it leaves him too hungry at the next feeding. If I could get the pumping timing down, we would have an awesome freezer stash!

How often do you nurse? 5-7 times a day, 1x in the middle of the night. Totally depends on his mood though...some days he will cluster feed/comfort nurse all day on and off, and some days, when timing is poor, or he's being lazy, he will just tug and pull and not really do anything productive, so DH will give him a bottle of EBM.

How long does baby nurse? Getting better, but usually around an hour total (between nursing, breaks, etc). The past few days, he's been going about 15-17 min each side, which is awesome.

Do you enjoy it? Love it. Granted, some parts are painful (like this mornings engorgement, and when he just pulls and tugs and bites!), but it's something I love that I can share with him that nobody else can. I also LOVE the feeling that he loves to comfort nurse (though it's inconvenient at times, and may end up being a problem), but I love that I can provide him that comfort without feeling like a human pacifier.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 16th, 2013, 11:47 PM
RobynL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How's it going? Okay, some days good, others are tougher
How long do you plan to bf? At least 6 months... But the longer the better. I'd probably go up to 1.5 or 2 if things are going well
Do you nurse in public? Yup, I prefer not to but with a 3 year old and 2 month old I can always get to my house or car in time. I use a cover though.
Having any issues? Dexter had weight gain issues and I had a low supply. I've strafed supplementing 8 oz of formula a day,taking lactation supplements and domperidone e and have seen a big improvement In My supply. Still to great, but we are both happier and more satisfied.
How often do you nurse? 10 times a day easy. Every 1-3 hours
How long does baby nurse? Forever if I let him. I will pull him off if he falls asleep or after 20ish minutes per side
Do you enjoy it? Yes, I like Bonding and the convienence. But I hate not knowing if he is getting enough and having him wake up to eat all through the night. My daughter was formula was around 2.5 months and slept through he night right away.

Thanks Vicki for my always awesome siggy!
March 17th, 2013, 06:20 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How's it going? really well

How long do you plan to bf? at least a year, after that we'll just play it by ear.

Do you nurse in public? yes, with a cover

Having any issues? no

How often do you nurse? depends, once or twice overnight, whenever she wants it during the day, which can be every hour or 3-4 hours.

How long does baby nurse? 10 mins or so. she's pretty efficient

Do you enjoy it? yes, mostly.

March 17th, 2013, 08:08 AM
mrssws's Avatar Veteran
How's it going? I started a new job monday and its been hectic pumping and working but it's going pretty good
How long do you plan to bf?At least 6 months
Do you nurse in public? Yes with a cover
Having any issues? LO has a cows milk allergy so I just recently started going dairy free. The pedi says it takes 2 weeks for it leave my system so I been supplementing with nutramigen because LO was having bloody stool, vomiting, gas, and colic. This will be my last week and hopefully I can go back to nursing fulltime I am going to buy fenugreek today to get my supply back up.
How often do you nurse? 3-4 times a day
How long does baby nurse?15-20 min
Do you enjoy it?YES! When LO was diagnosed with cows milk allergy I was going to stop breastfeeding because I LOVE dairy foods but I am really committed to sticking to this even if I still have to supplement and LO is worth it.

March 18th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How's it going? Good
How long do you plan to bf? 6 months and then use the stash I have frozen
Do you nurse in public? No, not really sometimes covered if it is an emergancy. I am just not relaxed in pubic.
Having any issues? Not anymore, but I am always questioning if she is getting enough.
How often do you nurse? Every 3 hours except at night.
How long does baby nurse? 20 minutes
Do you enjoy it Yes and no. I like the bonding and health benefits, but with 2 others I find myself restricted to what we can do. Aso my 2 year old gets into his most trouble when I am nursing.

March 18th, 2013, 11:34 AM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
How's it going? Great!
How long do you plan to bf? Two years is my goal.
Do you nurse in public? Absolutely. My other kids and I eat in public, why not my baby?
Having any issues? Not with this baby
How often do you nurse? Every two to four hours.
How long does baby nurse? Really depends. Sometimes it's all business and he can be done in ten. Others, he wants to stay attached for an hour. Usually it's more like 20 minutes.
Do you enjoy it? Very much. I also feel very fortunate that I was raised to expect it to be relatively easy and enjoyable. That's helped enormously.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
March 18th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How's it going? Pretty good. It has been good pretty much from the beginning. I did had a little bit of a hard time with soreness but that has gone away now.
How long do you plan to bf? I'm really not too sure. I think 6 months at the latest.
Do you nurse in public? No..haven't yet..and don't think I will.
Having any issues? Just being sore from him nursing so much
How often do you nurse? Every 2 hours sometimes longer if i'm lucky
How long does baby nurse? Usually about 20 min
Do you enjoy it? Yes for the most part, it is still hard to go out and do anything though because I haven't gotten to the point where I have milk pumped and stored. It takes too much time to pump and BF so I usually just BF if i'm able to and pump if I need to go out to do something.

Last edited by Hoping4bby; March 18th, 2013 at 04:47 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search