Where is Baby sleeping?

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2013, 04:05 AM
Expecting #1
Where is your LO sleeping these days? Why have you chosen that location?

Last night I put Ember down in her crib. She has been sleeping in either her swing or bassinet next to my bed since she was born and last night was the first in her crib. We have a video movement monitor and I stared at the monitor for about 2 hours before going to bed myself. It took three times before she stsyed asleep after i put her down and she slept her normal amount of time. I was happy we got her down in her crib, but sad at the same time. I missed her sleeping next to me and I cried

I read that babies can start to develop habits around 4 months so I wanted to start transitioning her to her crib around 3 months. Now, I'm wondering whether I should keep her in my room for a bit longer, for me. I don't feel nervous of her being in her crib, I just miss her being so close. So what are you ladies doing and why? No judgments here, I'm just trying to figure out what other moms are doing and why they chose that location (based on something you read, pedi said, personal preference).

March 21st, 2013, 04:14 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I have been writing about this in my journal lately also. Baxter is sleeping in his crib in the nursery and has been for about a week. Prior to that he was sleeping in his bassinet next to our bed. DH does bedtime routine mostly and we have had a hard time getting him down before 12-2am. One night DH thought he looked sleepy earlier and just put him in his crib so we could watch him on the monitor until we went to bed and he slept the longest stretch he ever had that night! We didn't know if it was a fluke or not so we tried again and now it's almost a week later and he has been in his crib since! He is sleeping longer and better, waking up less, and we are sleeping better too. Most of all, he has been going to bed by 1030-11 each night! He could probably go down even sooner but DH holds him a little longer to make sure he is in a deep sleep first.

I was hoping to have him sleep in his bassinet in our room until he was about 6 months so 8 weeks is FAR earlier than I would have liked to make tis transition, but honestly I think he is sleeping better which is better for everyone. I still havent moved the bassinet yet, since I'm not sure if this will stick but so far so good. Right now is a perfect example. DH put him in his crib last night by 1030 (he was probably asleep by 10-1015 in his arms). We expected him to wake around 1 to eat but be didn't wake up until 330! Our sleeping stretches are getting consistently longer !
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 21st, 2013, 04:48 AM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
PNP beside our bed in a "baby Papsan seat."

She didn't do well in the regular bassinet and is a BIG "spitter" so I wanted her more upright. She slides down occasionally but we just scoot her back up and she doesn't wake.

My son was in our room until 8 months. I prob won't keep her that long but I'm not ready to move her yet.

I've read that babies who co-sleep (I'm counting this as co-sleep because we are so close and in the same room) sleep better. I've heard that co sleeping is the norm in other countries (also baby wearing or carrying baby all day.). I think we are one of the only countries that have this false idea an infant can be "spoiled." Sometimes I wonder if we are influenced to believe this so businesses can sell all the seats/swings/play
mats/etc... I know I have just about one of everything! Don't get me wrong...I put Mollie down but I hold her a lot. She sleeps/naps in my arms but she also sleeps fine in the PNP. She's started sleeping thru the night this past week (at 9 weeks) . She is breastfed.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

March 21st, 2013, 08:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Parker has been sleeping in his rock'n'play beside our bed from the beginning. We tried a few nights in his crib early on but I didn't like it. I am definitely thinking I'm ready to put him in his crib for real now though - he loves to stretch out and I think he'd just be more comfortable in there. Only issue is that he occasionally spits up after eating and I don't like the idea of him laying flat. Honestly I don't think he's ever spit up after a night feed though, I'm just paranoid lol.

Always remembering our angel babies - 4/2011 (ectopic), 4/2012 (chemical) and
Angel Twins 5/23/14 (at 7 weeks 2 days)

March 21st, 2013, 09:26 AM
minalyn's Avatar MOMMY to Evan 1/7/13
Send a message via Yahoo to minalyn Send a message via Skype™ to minalyn
Evan started sleeping in his crib the Friday before he started daycare. We had to prep him because it's our job to teach him not the daycare folks. He's been there ever since. He did have a bad day last Sunday so he slep on my chest that night. I got a kink in my neck from it but I didn't mind

March 21st, 2013, 09:41 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
We transitioned Sophia to her crib this past weekend. However, Sophia's nursery is the other half of our bedroom so she is still in the same room as us and will be unless we move one day. When she is 1 we plan on building a room divider so she has her own little room. She was sleeping at night in the bassinet next to my bed. We still have the bassinet in the LR for naps, but she is getting way too big for it so this weekend we will prob hook up the video monitor so she can start napping in her crib. Our bedrooms are upstairs so I don't feel comfortable with her napping up there alone unless I have the video monitor in my hand.

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
March 21st, 2013, 09:46 AM
Babyschultz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hope is still in her rock and play sleeper. I am going to try and be brave and move to her own room soon.

March 21st, 2013, 11:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, if it tells you anything, my bigger littles slept with us until we moved to this new house last May, and they were 3 and 5 at the time, lol. And I HATED having them move to their own room, absolutely hated it. There is nothing like the security of waking up in the night and seeing their sweet sleeping faces. I loved the quiet sound of everyone's sleepy breathing, and they are so warm and snuggly in the mornings.

So, yeah, Lincoln sleeps in between me and hubby right now, in his little Snuggle Nest that gives him a bit of protection and keeps him in one place. Lots of times I end up taking him out of it and holding him in the crook of one arm while we both sleep. I'm not worried about him developing habits or being "spoiled"; I think it's natural for babies to be very clingy and attached to their caregivers and as someone else said, it's only in this country that that is discouraged. I expect him to sleep with us for at least a year or two.

March 21st, 2013, 01:04 PM
Leigha24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Emma slept in a bassinet in our room for the first month. She was such a noisy sleeper that I tried putting her in her crib in her room. I honestly needed sleep, I had her and my four yr old to deal with all day lol. I put the monitor on my nightstand and we both slept so well. She soon started sleeping for 7 hr stretches. Our older daughter was in a crib in our room for her first year (my DH wouldn't let her out of his sight lol). She woke up every two hrs. The whole time. So I'm glad to have a break with this one lol

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful sig!!!

March 21st, 2013, 04:47 PM
rjae84's Avatar Veteran
I moved Zyla to her crib in the other room about a week and a half ago. She was sleeping in a bassinet next to my bed but i seemed to disturb her, as she would wake up each time i moved in the bed (and thats quite often!) She's doing so well in there and sleeping so much longer and its working out great!

March 21st, 2013, 06:24 PM
WENDYLL22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Latham is sleeping in his bassinet beside our bed still. I will start transitioning him this weekend. I have tried him a few nights in his crib and he has done well...sleeping the same amount of time if not more. I think I am just a little weary still of him being upstairs.

March 21st, 2013, 08:33 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Taylor is still in the Rock n Play sleeper by the side of our bed. I"m not 100% sure when we'll attempt the transition to the crib, my sister and her 2 (soon to be 3) boys may be moving in with us for a couple months while her DH finishes state trooper training and they find out where he'll be assigned. In that case, she'll stay in our room, but we may set the crib up in there, so her 5.5 and almost 3 year old can use T's room while she's in the guest room. Otherwise, we'll probably move her a few weeks after I go back to work, just don't want to do it all at once.

And the crib part all depends on what happens when I talk to her pedi at her 2 month appointment, I'm thinking she may have some mild silent reflux. The sudden gagging just scares the crap out of me, but she also doesn't do it all the time, so. yeah. anyway, that's not what this post is about.

March 21st, 2013, 09:28 PM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unfortunately Jami will be sharing a room with his big brother who is 18 months old. I have no clue how to transition both boths into sharing the same room so Jamison has been sleeping in his pack and play or the rock and play in our room. :/ In a perfect world I would have him in his crib by now like I did with my first two babies. They were in a crib by 8 weeks and slept through the night. Guess this goes to show all babies are different cause this kid does not sleep well throught he night just yet.

March 22nd, 2013, 10:14 AM
Veteran
Babycakes sleeps between DH and I in the bed. There have been a few nights that she has slept in her swing, but her little hands get sooooooo cold. Our house is heated by a wood stove, so it's hard to keep the temp consistent. Her crib is going to be set up in our bedroom and I'm going to try and transition her in June. But if starts getting warmer earlier and she seems ready, I'm up for transitioning at any time.
March 23rd, 2013, 11:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our LO is still sleeping in the bassinet by our bed. I don't want him to go into his room. Although his room is fairly close I am still worried about him being in there alone and having to wait for him to cry in order for me to know that he is hungry. Right now he usually fusses and wiggles around enough for me to know he's hungry, seems sad for me to have to wait for a cry to go get him. We will have to transfer him to his room soon though because when I put him to sleep tonight I noticed he only has about 2 inches left until he outgrows his bassinet

March 24th, 2013, 05:52 AM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Since we have had Scooter in his crib at night, I have noticed that he wiggles around and turns quite a bit. While he still fit lengthwise in is bassinet, we wonder if it was still a little constricting since he apparently likes to turn a bit at night. This might be one reason he is sleeping better in his crib.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 24th, 2013, 08:32 AM
mrssws's Avatar Veteran
He sleeps in his crib in his room and maybe once a week he will sleep with us in our bed.

March 24th, 2013, 11:13 AM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
Like his siblings before him, Thomas sleeps in our bed. While heaps of research has convinced me that bedsharing is the best and safest option for my family, I started cosleeping with my oldest child out of desperation to get some sleep when she was five months old and developed a crib phobia.
While I'm open to transitioning sooner if he seems ready, I don't plan on moving him until after a year.

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (10), Selene (7), Garvin (4), Gwen (2), and Thomas, born 13 Jan 13
March 24th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Dee
J sleeps in a bassinet in our closet (it's walk in, has a window, and we leave the door open). He slept next to our bed from week 7 to week 12, and has been in the closet for the last two weeks. At about that time, he started sleeping 6 to 9 hours at night, but that was also the time we got better about a nighttime routine and he started eating more before bed, so it's hard to say if the move away from our noisy sleep made the difference or if something else helped him sleep longer.

My BIL still hasn't brought over his crib yet, but when he does we'll move J to his own room in the crib. I'm not ready to rely on a monitor to hear him at night (even a video monitor). I like having him only a few feet away, both for the sake of convenience when getting up with him at night, and for the reassurance of knowing he's right there. I also suspect he can hear us moving around, and in my mind that offers him some reassurance as well.

Depending on what time he wakes up in the morning (between 4 and 7), I'll usually feed him and bring him to bed with us, so he gets a little bit of both sleeping independently and a little co-sleeping.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search