Burping

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2013, 08:57 AM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
Ok, this is going to sound RIDICULOUS coming from a mommy of 3.....all bottle fed babies too

My question is....is it really nec to burp halfway through the bottle??

I did this with my 1st 2 babies and have been doing this with Sophia as well....BUT Sophia has a tendency to not want her bottle back once the nipple comes out of her mouth......for example she normally eats about 4.5 ounces so halfway through we remove the bottle and sit her up to burp....sometimes she burps sometimes she doesn't. When we lay her back down to finish the bottle she has lost interest.....she will play with the nipple and turn her head....if I REALLY work hard I get the nipple in there and once she gets a good latch she usually will eat more BUT if she falls asleep while eating there is no way I am getting that nipple back in her mouth........so, she has a cold now (she has been doing this since before her cold), so she hasn't been eating that great but this morning I made only 4 ounces and she sucked the whole bottle, I never took it out to burp because I am so worried about her getting enough fluids esp now that she is sick......

What do you all do?

What do you all suggest?

Anyone else's baby do this?

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
March 22nd, 2013, 09:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I'm not great about burping my kids, I never have been. 2 of mine NEVER spit up, and Lincoln spits up pretty badly. He's a big burper but almost every time after he burps, he spits up, regardless of whether I burp him after 2 ounces or 4 or whatever. So I usually just wait until he's finished.

One thing though, I wouldn't work on trying to get a baby to finish a bottle unless they had severe weight-gain issues. Once they start playing with the bottle and have lost interest in sucking it down, I figure their tummies are saying they've had enough so I take it away.

March 22nd, 2013, 10:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We used to stop Julius at every ounce to burp him because he was having really bad problems with spitting up and gas, but now we let him finish his bottle in one go or if he can't he'll usually give us a sign that he needs a break.
March 22nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
Veteran
I burp between boobs usually.
March 22nd, 2013, 12:52 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm bad at burping, or Taylor is bad at it. I don't usually stop her to burp unless she's acting uncomfortable because I can sit there and try to burp her for 10 minutes in all different positions, and nothing will work. Then she'll just be sitting there later and let out a HUGE one.

March 22nd, 2013, 12:59 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
I sometimes burp between sides, but usually don't remember. Most times, he'll sort of burp on his own when I switch him over. When DH does bottle feedings, he burps about half way through. But, he has no problem going back on either, and if he's really hungry, he doesn't burp in the middle.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 22nd, 2013, 01:40 PM
Expecting #1
I used to burp halfway through a bottle or when I switch sides, but Ember gets upset when I take away the bottle or wait too long before putting her back on the boob. I figure her crying only adds to the air in her belly. Now I just burp when she is finished and haven't had problems with spit up or gassiness. If she starts having gas problems then I will start burping more. Maybe stop burping for a few bottles and if there is no gassiness then keep doing that to help her eat more.

March 22nd, 2013, 07:17 PM
mommysc2's Avatar Mommy to 3 Blessings!
So, today she had 3 bottles where I let her finish the bottle or most of it and then I burped her and had no problem. But tonight I fed her her bottle and did the same thing and she spit out the nipple when there was maybe an ounce left, I sat her up to burp and she vomited up the whole bottle.......now I am more confused than before!

"Gina"

Wife to Glenn
Mommy to:
Sarah (15)
Christopher (7)
Sophia (9 months)

Scentsy ~ Certified Independent Consultant
https://ginaamadorong.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search