Lincoln has a hair tourniquet :(

Forum: January 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To January 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2013, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
He had a hair wrapped tightly around two of his toes; we were able to get it off of one of them but it's cutting into the other one and it's so tight that his toe is red and swollen. His toe still has circulation though so that's good. Hubby is taking him to the ER right now and I'm here with the two bigger littles and I'm a mess, of course. I feel so bad for him and of course it's probably my hair and I knew this could happen but I never noticed it on his poor little toes. No idea how long it's been there but I don't think it's been too long because it wasn't crusty or infected looking.

Anyway, please pray for him that they can remove it easily and that it doesn't hurt him too badly and specifically that he stays away from any germs at the ER.

March 23rd, 2013, 11:29 AM
swaddlestar's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh my goodness! I've never heard of anything like that- poor guy! Keep us updated!

March 23rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's what's awful, I HAVE heard of it, and even warned hubby to keep an eye out for hairs wrapped around fingers, toes, and even his little boy parts. Lately it's been chilly here (as you know!) so I've had him in footed sleepers and I guess I just missed it. Now I'm going to be so paranoid.

Hubby just called from the ER and they've gotten some of the hair unwound but they are having to numb his little toe to go deeper and maybe cut into it because they can't get it all out. I could hear him crying in the background I'm so glad they're numbing it now.

March 23rd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They got it all out and he's ok. He's not very happy, but he's ok and doesn't even need abx or anything, they just told us to put some neosporin on it for a few days. I'm so glad it wasn't any worse than this. If we hadn't been going to a bday party today, I probably would've just given him a quick wipe down and put a clean sleeper on him and who knows if I would've even noticed it. Hubby was giving him a bath before the party and saw it, so I feel lucky there.

March 23rd, 2013, 02:00 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
How scary!! I'm glad he's ok. But a good reminder for the rest of us - crazy things like this can happen no matter how careful you are. I just checked Max's piggys when I changed his diaper.

March 23rd, 2013, 02:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, you can be sure I'll be checking his fingers and toes at every diaper change now. Here's a pic, and this is after hubby got home with him from the ER:

They said it will take a few days for the redness to go away and the grooves to disappear. I'm just SO paranoid now. Needless to say he's getting lots of holding today!

March 23rd, 2013, 03:55 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Poor baby! Our ped took one look at me and DHs long hair and cautioned us about this at our first visit. I showed the pic to DH as a reminder why I am constantly searching for hairs. I'm so glad it's not any worse. Cuddles galore today!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 23rd, 2013, 05:04 PM
rjae84's Avatar Veteran
oh wow! poor little guy!! ive never heard of such a thing. glad he's okay.

March 23rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww, poor little guy! Definitely a good reminder to check at diaper changes, we do a lot of footed sleepers too

March 23rd, 2013, 06:43 PM
Veteran
Oh no! I read about this happening to another mommy once and thought it was a relatively rare event....guess not! . Poor little guy....poor mama too! I am sorry this happened to him, but happy he will be ok! ((Hugs))
March 23rd, 2013, 07:45 PM
Host of March '10 PR
Aww ouchie, poor Lincoln! Glad he is home now and hopefully feeling better.
Just out of curiosity, was he giving you any signs that something was wrong? Or did you just happen to spot it?
March 23rd, 2013, 08:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, he has been a little extra fussy lately but we just thought it was his tummy bothering him. I don't know when the hair got wrapped around his toes so I don't know when it started bothering him. I do know he was super fussy last night and yesterday evening so I'm guessing it had something to do with this. He's still been fussy today though, but I think it's probably still hurting him. He was really happy and content for a couple of hours after they got home today, but then he started getting fussy and I'm guessing that's when the anesthetic started wearing off.

It really makes me shudder to think that if we hadn't had that party to go to today, we probably wouldn't have given him a thorough bath and we might not have noticed it at all.

March 23rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
Veteran
Wow. thanks for posting the pic! My cousin's baby lost a toe this way, and I've told my MIL about it because she sometimes watches babycakes, but she has always kind of laughed at me and not thought I was serious! Granted, she only watches her for an hour or two at a time, but still!!
March 23rd, 2013, 11:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow. I saw this on FB earlier. I'm so sorry and I hope Lincoln feels better soon. My friend recently told me that this had happened to her as a baby and I totally thought she was joking....she said hers was caused from the dryer..just her Moms hair got wound up in the baby clothes/socks and then when she put them on the baby the hair got wrapped up on one of her toes (very similar to Lincoln's story):/ I have really long hair and its usually everywhere so thank you for sharing this!

March 24th, 2013, 02:37 PM
alicia1984's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow that is awful. Poor baby and poor mama.

March 25th, 2013, 01:23 PM
mamaginger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh poor Lincoln!! So sorry!

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made...My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together...Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalm 139: 13-16

March 25th, 2013, 01:45 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
How is he feeling today? Better I hope! How is his toe looking?

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
March 25th, 2013, 07:34 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Poor Linc! I'm glad that they were able to remove it! Hope he is doing well!

Thanks Lucy S. for my awesome siggy!
March 26th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbpeanut View Post
How is he feeling today? Better I hope! How is his toe looking?
He is doing so much better! He's not as fussy as he was, either. I mean he still has his moments, he's always been a fussy baby lol, but he's not inconsolable for hours like he was the day before we noticed it. Poor guy

His toe looks SO much better too, just a tiny bit red and has a couple of scabby areas on it where the hairs were. I am SO paranoid now though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search